View Full Version : Cinematography Book

Steven Taylor
July 15th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I should be getting my A1 this week and I'm looking for a book on Cinematography.

Most books seem to have a lot of chapters which I'm not interested in reading about, script, logistics, post-production, delivery etc.. rather than pure camera work. I come from a sound post background, with some picture editing and location sound experience so I have a fairly good handle on most of the process.. just not the whole 'capturing light' thing ;)

I'll be out and about shooting as much as I can but I'm interested in backing this up with something which deals with the technical aspects of using a lens.. composition and lighting etc.

Thanks

Steve

Blake Calhoun
July 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM
"Shot by Shot" is a great book by Steven Katz... it's mainly geared toward directing the camera, not actors:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0941188108/$%7B0%7D

Good luck.

Chris Hurd
July 15th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Moved from Canon XH to Read About It.

Emre Safak
July 15th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I like Cinematography by Blain Brown

Richard Alvarez
July 15th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Can't go wrong with the "Five C's of Cinematography".

Josh Bass
July 16th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Matters of Light and Depth - Ross Lowel (Lowell?)

Eric Brown
July 17th, 2007, 01:10 AM
I like Cinematography by Blain Brown

Emre is right, it's a great book and I always suggest it whenever someone asks for a book on the subject. The full title, however, is:
Cinematography: Theory and Practice.

Emre Safak
July 17th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Emre is right, it's a great book and I always suggest it whenever someone asks for a book on the subject. The full title, however, is:
Cinematography: Theory and Practice.
Are you related, by any chance?

Eric Brown
July 18th, 2007, 06:49 PM
No relation. It's just a common, boring last name.