View Full Version : Where can I find 5.1.4?

Bryce Olejniczak
July 15th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I really need this update and all the third party sites re-direct to the apple site (which doesn't work) and from what I have heard, apple no longer offers the update. Is it available anywhere?

Chris Harris
July 15th, 2007, 08:54 PM
You should be able to just use the Apple Software Update feature in OS X.

Nate Weaver
July 15th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Note, you need 5.1 first.

Version 5 will update to 5.0.4 via Software Update or download (but no farther), v5.1 will go to 5.1.4 via the same routes.

There is no going from 5.0 to 5.1.4 without having done the 5.1 paid upgrade.

Bryce Olejniczak
July 15th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I have version 5.1.1. I have tried the auto update, but it won't update any farther than it is already. The apple site still doesn't work. Isn't there any third party site that hosts this update?

Chris Harris
July 15th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Did you go to this site and sign in with your Apple ID?

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/download/

Bryce Olejniczak
July 15th, 2007, 11:35 PM
It keeps telling me that my serial number is invalid. Does it matter that I have an academic version? Because I was under the impression that the academic versions can't upgrade to Final Cut 6, it didn't say anywhere that I wouldn't be allow to upDATE for later versions and bug fixes.

Gunleik Groven
July 18th, 2007, 01:11 PM
As this is prob'ly legit.
Remember to put a space in the end of your serial.

If you're eligble for an update (and you should be with 5.1.1, I'd be more doubtfull if you ran 5.0.4), you'll probably get it.

If this post is considered unapproprialte for any reason, please let me know.

Gunleik

Bryce Olejniczak
July 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I tried the space... Didn't work. Thanks for the heads up though on the serial number space. How is the serial number supposed to be entered anyways... Dashes, spaces, or just all the characters together with the space at the end? It doesn't really matter, I tried all three ways and it hasn't worked yet. Are there any good third-party capture programs I can use just for 1080p24 capturing and then import to Final Cut?

Joseph Hutson
July 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/finalcutpro514.html

Joseph

Bryce Olejniczak
July 19th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Yep, I found all those pages... I says my serial number is invalid when I try to download it. Does anyone have the 5.1.4 they can just e-mail me?

Boyd Ostroff
July 20th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Please don't use DVinfo to solicit software. If you're having a problem you should be able to get help from Apple tech support. Have you tried visiting their forums? http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=939

Perhaps you need to re-install your version from the original disks?

Bryce Olejniczak
July 20th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I wasn't using the forum to solicit software. If I was, I would have made that post first...

It was just an idea that I got from other forums I was searching. Apparently allot of other people have been having this problem and some people have even told me that Apple doesn't even offer it anymore. So the only solution people have found, is to get it from other people. Thats why I asked. I haven't tried apple yet... Because they'll probably just try and get me to buy Final Cut 2.

Blake Cavett
January 28th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Obviously I'm a little late to this party, but I have the same issue so I'm wondering ever what the solution, if any, was.

I just went from FCP 5 to FCP 5.0.4.

Robert Lane
January 28th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Unfortunately the policy with Apple is that once a new version of Final Cut - or any of it's other pro apps - is available and shipping the older versions are no longer on the servers, period.

So unless you can find someone with the 5.1.4 disks you'll be forced to buy an upgrade copy of FCS2.

Waldemar Winkler
January 28th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Does it matter that I have an academic version?
It may very well matter. Academic versions are extremely limited when it comes to updating. It is common. Apple, Micosoft, Adobe, and I am sure many more software manufacturers do not offer much support for academic versions of their products. If you have the original documentation for your software, read it carefully. You should find (somewhere) clearly defined limits regarding updates.

Jerrod Cordell
January 28th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Yeah I would say you should call up Apple and find out from them. If there is an upgrade, I'm sure they will tell you about it.

And in the event that you did download Final Cut off the internet, I suggest you just save up your money and buy FCS2 Academic. I've tried billions of times to get it from the internet, and I succeeded once, but then a month later my serial number wouldn't work anymore, and neither would any other serial numbers I found. Apple is really careful about making sure their products aren't stolen. So I just saved up my money and bought FCS2 and it saves a lot of the hassle.

Andy Mees
January 28th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Obviously I'm a little late to this party, but I have the same issue so I'm wondering ever what the solution, if any, was.

I just went from FCP 5 to FCP 5.0.4.

Hey Blake

The usual solution to "my app won't update" issues is for the user to move the app back into its default install location. I don't know how many times I've had to trouble shoot this one and it almost always comes down to the same thing ... despite protestations to the contrary the app has usually been moved to the Desktop instead of a just shortcut to it having been created there!

Your situation is different. You have 5.0.4 and are now looking to upgrade to 5.1. Unfortunately, as Robert already noted, Apple won't sell you an older version/upgrade once a newer version is shipping, so the upgrade to FCS 2 is the only obvious way forward for you. FCS2 is a great upgrade!
The only other alternative is to look to retail outlets other than Apple and to see if they have and can sell you any old stock.

Best
Andy