View Full Version : 23' Apple Cinema Display, 19' lcd hdtv, and X1900 XT

James Klatt
July 17th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I am trying to hook up a 2nd monitor(Insignia 19' LCD HdTV) off my X1900 XT. I am already using a 23' Apple Cinema Display.

I tried hooking it up via the DVi to VGA adapter but the HDTV looked greenish, and I could only see my mouse move over the HDTV, while the ACD was not accessable.

IS DVi to VGA the right way to go? Should I do DVI to HDMI? The 2 monitor thing is very confusing to me.

The reason I wanna have the HDTV second monitor is for Final Cut Studio. (I am using a Mac Pro 3Ghz)

Johan Forssblad
July 17th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Hi James,
I guess you are editing HD/HDV so you need to use the DVI output and a DVI to HDMI adapter if your TV has HDMI input. What is so confusing? It is usually simple to run dual monitors but I havn't tried this particular setup.. Good luck!/ Johan

James Klatt
July 17th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Johan,

So I got the DVi-to HDMi adapter and it works. It seems that I am slaved, however, to use the HDTV now as the monitor, instead of the preferred Apple Cinema Display. The mouse pointer only moves in the HDTV.

Is there anyway to change this? I don't want to use the HDTV as my primary monitor....only as a Final Cut "View all frames" preview to see what it might look like on a tv.

Paul Joy
July 17th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Hi James, choosing the active display should be straightforward, just go to display prefs, choose the arrangement tab and then you can drag the screens into the desired order and drag the menu bar to which ever side represents your ACD.

I don't think you can actually use the second monitor as a proper monitor for FCP as it can only do this over an AGP graphics card, if your X1900 is the same as mine then it will be a PCIe card.

You can however arrange the windows in FCP so that the canvas runs larger on your second screen etc, although I'm not sure how that effects things in terms of accurate colour representation as I run two cinema displays.

Paul.