An HVR-A7 possible in the future? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old August 6th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #1
Inner Circle

An HVR-A7 possible in the future?

Being a HC7 owner and loving the camera, I'm now wondering if a Pro version with timecode preset and DVCAM (although the HC7 can play DVCAM, it just can't record it.) and CineGamma and possibly 30p and 24p (25p in PAL) like the V1U might come out in the future? If the HC7 continues it's success, Sony should consider it.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Well? Are there any opinions on this?
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

As great as the HC7 is, it's probably far too small to make the jump into a "pro" version. I'm guessing that firmware changes would allow for SOME of the features, but you can't really expect a cam this small to fit into a pro environment.

That said, it sure would look great in black, like I see some of its kin decked out in. It is what it is, a small consumer cam that takes great video that a thoughtful pro can get lots of mileage out of. Video looks like a much more expensive cam (same can be said of the HV20), and the compact form factor is great for a drag around everywhere device. With the right add-ons, it can pass for a "pro" cam visually and for the most part in conrol.

For me, I'd like to see the return of the "real" ring and the exposure lever ala the HC1, and the demise of the wheely thingy, but now your camera needs to be larger... There's NO room in or on the HC7 to pack or tack anything else on the cam...

SO, I guess you live with the limits and enjoy the small size, OR you go to something bigger. If you go bigger, bring back the 3.5" screen and build a cam around that larger screen similar to the SR1, but high PQ and tape mech or high bitrate HDD...

From a practical standpoint, eventually Sony may need to put a A1U replacement in the pipeline - that cam is getting dated by any stretch, as is the Z1... but those still sell for good $$, so I doubt there's any BIG hurry.

Maybe we see a consumer oriented version of their new supercam? Now THAT might be sweet...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51