New info I've heard about the XDcam Ex... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Closed Thread

Old August 7th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #1
Major Player

New info I've heard about the XDcam Ex...

I got some new info on the Sony XDcam EX today. Don't ask me to say where as I do not want to get anyone in trouble. This info probably wouldn't get the source in trouble but I just am being careful.

Interesting stuff I was told:
Price: $6000

I thought that was interesting as I had been hearing $8000

Chipset/imaging: NOT the same as what is in the 330/350. In fact I was told that it would be BETTER than what is in the 355 (which is the new version of the 350). The actual quote I believe was "blow it out of the water".

I had thought that this would be unlikely but really, who know? Just repeating what I was told. But the fact that it isn't the same as the others suggest that it is possible that they are CMOS. But again, who knows?

I was also told that there would be some "things that people won't like" as far as "compatabilities and such", suggesting that some current NLE's may not be able to work with the output of it yet. Also told that as far as 'just a camera' it would be fantastic and put out a 'unbelievable image' but again hinted that it may be rough going at first with NLE's.
Also told that we wouldn't find out more, until the product launch at IBC (I had thought there was a July announcement of some kind, scheduled)

I don't know about any of this, just thought I'd pass along what I'd heard. I was also told that if I was told any more info he'd have to kill me....LOL
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

If you can't name your source, then this is by definition only a rumor.

Therefore moved from XDCAM EX to Area 51.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Sorry Chris, I wasn't aware of the rules. I will say it was someone with sony.
Old August 8th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Gabe,

Thanks for the info ('rumor'). Did your source happen to say when the camera could be readily available? I have a feature that starts shooting October 20th and I really wanted to give the EX a shot. Otherwise I'll be getting the HVX200.

If there's any other info-rumors that will not get you killed, please let us speculate.

Thanks.

Todd
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Major Player

Sorry, I didn't ask when it would begin selling. He just said that the product launch would be at IBC (I think that is in September?). I'd wait until the product launch and see if there is more info given about when it will be shipping/readily available. I'd think that if it wasn't available in your time frame you'd be able to pick up a HVX pretty quick, they seem to be readily available at B&H.
Anyways, the two things that interested me about what he said were:

#1. The price. At a $6000 price point I could afford to buy one!
#2. The fact that it will have a different imaging system than the 330/350. I am not even going to speculate if it will really be better than the 330/350 cause that doesn't make sense to me (although to be fair, the 355 had the cheap Canon autofocus lens on it when he told me the image from the EX would be superior to 'That one'). But the fact that I was told it would have a different imaging system/chipset was interesting.

Ahh well, it's all speculation, although I will say if it turns out as nice as it sounds, this will be my first HD camera.
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, I figure I'll wait until after IBC to see what Sony says. Fortunately the HVX is readily available.

Thanks again Gabe for 'hope'.

Todd
Old August 11th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Some other rumors here.....

I have been hearing more rumors that the chips will be actual 1920x1080 instead of the 1440x1080 that the current XDCAM HD 330 and 350 have. That would be good in a lot of ways, but may also explain the 'incompatabilities' that I heard suggested. I think that many NLE's like FCP and such have support for the CURRENT 1440x1080 XDCAM HD, but may need to have new code rewritten for full support 1920x1080. I could be wrong, but with the limited knowledge I have, my guess is this may be the 'surprise' that is supposed to come out at IBC.
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #8
Major Player

If that is true it'd be like a dream come true however i am taking it with a grain of salt for now...
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Strong View Post
I have been hearing more rumors that the chips will be actual 1920x1080 instead of the 1440x1080 that the current XDCAM HD 330 and 350 have.
Don't expect the XDCAM HD format to change just because of the higher res chips. For example, there are four Canon HDV and AVCHD consumer camcorders that use a 1920 x 1080 CMOS sensor, yet they're still recording 1440 anamorphic. I doubt that it's going to be any different with XDCAM HD (nor does it need to be, as recording 1440 anamorphic is more than adequate).

Old August 13th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #10
Inner Circle

If it comes in under 10k sans lens, that will be jaw dropping.
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Don't expect the XDCAM HD format to change just because of the higher res chips. For example, there are four Canon HDV and AVCHD consumer camcorders that use a 1920 x 1080 CMOS sensor, yet they're still recording 1440 anamorphic. I doubt that it's going to be any different with XDCAM HD (nor does it need to be, as recording 1440 anamorphic is more than adequate).
Um Chris, sorry to say this but, I WAS RIGHT AND YOU WERE WRONG!!!
(said in the nicest possible way of course)
:-)
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:42 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney View Post
If it comes in under 10k sans lens, that will be jaw dropping.
The lens is integrated into the camera, but the EX is under $10K.
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #13
Major Player

Hmmmm......I think this was true. Shouldn't it have been moved out of area 51?
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

If it was less than a year old, then maybe... but there's nothing here of any substance that really benefits the XDCAM EX forum, so the answer is no, it's not going to be moved.

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51