DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   Do Not Operate With An Ill Manner (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/102765-do-not-operate-ill-manner.html)

Chris Hurd September 3rd, 2007 08:33 PM

Do Not Operate With An Ill Manner

4 Attachment(s)
What's the point of Labor Day if you don't do some actual labor. While hoisting my old Ford 9N farm tractor aboard the flatbed for its long overdue trip to the mechanic, I noticed the safety warning on the side of the come-along (see photos below... click to see 'em big). I guess from a perspective of safety it's crucial to "not operate with an ill manner." So I kept a pretty good attitude about it. Although they really should put that warning on cameras too.

Ben Winter September 3rd, 2007 09:28 PM

On that site you linked to, you state that tractor is a 2N. So what is it? 9N, or 2N? Hmm? HMM?

Just joshing you Chris. Cute cat. And I think I might just make bumper stickers of that warning :)

Chris Hurd September 3rd, 2007 11:01 PM

Ahh, 9N, 2N, they're pretty much the same thing Ben... basically a 2N is a wartime 9N. Most folks know them simply as 9Ns. Ford started the N series in 1939, then in 1942 during the war some materials were changed and it became the 2N, even though the serial number on the engine block still said 9N. Then it was redesigned in 1948 and became the 8N. Pretty arcane stuff. But there's still a lot of these tractors out in the country even today.

The cat of course has to climb everything.

Chris Barcellos September 3rd, 2007 11:52 PM

Dang-- I knew I came in late in this forum, but I didn't know you were a farm boy Chris.

We had several Ford tractors on our dairy farm in Santa Clara Valley when I was a kid, and when I went into my own business in 79, I actually go one of those gas models with a loader.... They just kept going and going....

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2007 07:00 AM

Well it's hardly a farm Chris... more like a big back yard (everything's bigger in Texas). This thing drags around a five-foot shredder, so it's basically just a sixty-year-old riding lawn mower. I'd love to have a loader but it's seriously underpowered... only about 23hp from the same engine design Ford used for the Model T automobile. These N series tractors are everywhere down here though.

Greg Boston September 4th, 2007 07:52 AM

On a related note, did you catch the news story the other day about the tractor festival up north? Some beautifully restored Farmalls in the piece they aired.

-gb-

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2007 08:53 AM

Would love to have a McCormick Farmall, but the wife says one is enough.

Lorinda Norton September 4th, 2007 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 738807)
So I kept a pretty good attitude about it.

Hahaha!

Wonderful pictures, Chris (I LOVE that cat) – takes me back to when I was a kid working with my dad. May I send you a beat up straw cowboy hat to go along with your stuff? :)

Actually, we still use some of those little tractors (Massey Ferguson) for planting. They don’t pack the ground and the guys can see what they’re doing much better. Ahh…the farm life…

Bill Davis September 4th, 2007 02:43 PM

If I wasn't saving my air miles to take Linda somewhere nice for our 25th anniversary in October, I'd be tempted to pack up some wet/dry sandpaper and a few cans of spray paint and come visit.

Be nice to get out of the studio and do some REAL labor for a change!