Thin, flash-based MacBook on the way? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old December 7th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #1
Wrangler

Thin, flash-based MacBook on the way?

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...macbook-rumors

Some of this is questionable, but if it materializes I would certainly consider it as a candidate to replace my PowerBook G4 :-)

Quote:
Yesterday was CNBC’s Jim Goldman’s turn. In a breathless report that aired shortly after noon (video, text), he cited a source “with good connections” to Apple’s manufacturing partners and rattled off what 9to5Mac characterized as “the known knowns”:

• That Jobs is introducing a new ultrathin subnotebook at Macworld
• That the machine replaces the usual hard drive with flash memory
• That the device is 50% thinner than the thinnest MacBook
• That it will have a 12-inch screen and cost $1,500
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Does anyone expect that it will be possible to edit video on this new powerbook? (fast enough, etc.)
Cindy Konits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I can see how eliminating a hard drive would allow you to thin it some more, but if you'e still loading/burning cd/dvd discs... aren't you back to basically the same thickness? Arent disc drives as thick as a hard drive? Or is this notebook NOT going to have disc drives at all?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
Or is this notebook NOT going to have disc drives at all?
Well the iMac was controversial when it eliminated the floppy drive. I would still be interested in this machine without any kind of disk drive... DVD's are so 1999... ;-)
Old December 8th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yeah, just look at all the software that's shipping on flash discs nowadays... NO ONE is using DVD's or CDroms anymore! (snark)

It MUST have a disc drive, I just can't see how eliminating the hard drive bought fifty percent more space in terms of thickness, if there's a DVD drive in it still. The relative thickness of a single disk harddrive and a DVD drive are pretty darn close, no?
Old December 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Optical Drive

i'm thinking it wont have one.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...orld_expo.html
Eric Dyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

i don't knw how people will take the elimination fo the DVD drives, because some(like me) use there MacBooks as a portable DVD player.

I have got a 17" MacBook Pro, and I like the DVD player's use on long trips.
Joseph Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #8
Wrangler

Well if you got the 17" MacBook then obviously you weren't looking for the smallest and lightest laptop :-)

Personally I'd be happy to accept that compromise. Loading software isn't really a daily chore for me, I could easily use an external drive or network for that. I don't watch DVD's on my laptop very often, but could always rip them to the hard drive if needed. And I suspect Apple would prefer for you to download your movies on iTunes anyway.

If this machine is thin, light and has great battery life then I'm thinking it could be just what's needed to convince me to upgrade my 4 year old powerbook G4.
Old December 9th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yeah, just look at all the software that's shipping on flash discs nowadays... NO ONE is using DVD's or CDroms anymore! (snark)

It MUST have a disc drive...
Richard, normally I agree with the positions you take, but I can't remember the last time I used the disk drive to load software; Final Cut Studio, almost two years ago when I bought my current tower? Most of that is media content I never use and can do without. Everything I have needed has been available for download.

And on the output end of things, the only thing I deliver these days in a "hard" format is master dvds, which I would never burn on a laptop anyway.

My old 12" Powerbook weighed in at 4.6 pounds (2.1 kg). I for one would not miss the DVD drive if it allowed the weight of the "thin" MacBook to drop below 3lbs.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I suppose there is a particular market it WOn't be suited for. I download projects, and get media handed to me on disc by clients fairly often. "Here's a disc of the powerpoint... here's a disc of the photo's you will need... here's a disc with the music you should use..." Happens fairly often. Of course, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Thumb drives are my life safers on a location shoot for quick transfers for instance. I just like having the option to USE whatever the client has on hand at the moment.

Not to mention an entire library of prouction music sound effects and Digital Juice products that sit on a shelf in CDRom form.I use a laptop in conjunction with a FLypack utilizing tricaster ona three camera shoot... without a drive it would be useless.

But I can see this product being 'more than a PDA/Blackberry' sort of device, but lighter/smaller/ somewhat more restricted than a full featured Macbook pro. Definitely a market for it, no doubt about it.

Here's an article about it, with comments from users pro and con about no optical drive... http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/8408
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #11
Regular Crew

To be fair, I get those disks from clients as well. I would have to dust off my external DVD drive.

Quote:
I can see this product being 'more than a PDA/Blackberry' sort of device, but lighter/smaller/ somewhat more restricted than a full featured Macbook pro.
I like that! I would even love a tablet running OS X, a sort of giant iPhone...
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Yeah, it's a nice concept, marketing it as a "Sub Notebook" - the equivellant of a 'sub-compact' car?

Not really a 'production' notebook though. But for a business traveller, yeah it's a good thing.
Old December 9th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #13
Major Player

Pretty similar in design to Sony's new TZ series. Solid State Drive, super light 2.6 lbs and very thin with 11 inch screen . SSD looks like the future. The Sony is a nice looking lappy.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=16154

Last edited by Glenn Davidson; December 9th, 2007 at 12:37 PM.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vandas View Post
I would even love a tablet running OS X, a sort of giant iPhone...
That's another rumor actually, and I think it's gotta be coming eventually...

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...129_417787.htm

Quote:
Additional speculation concerns a tablet, a handheld that would either be a super-compact Mac with a touch-enabled screen or some kind of satellite device designed to interface with a Mac through a remote wireless connection. Normally I'd dismiss both, but Apple's innovative multitouch-screen technology, found on the iPhone and the iPod Touch, makes the concept not only plausible but attractive, assuming the feature set and price are right.
Old December 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #15
Wrangler

More analyst speculation: http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...-says-analyst/

Quote:
Munster expects that in addition to updates across the Mac line Jobs will introduce that long-awaited thin Mac with an 11? to 13? screen, 64 GB of NAND-based solid state memory and (maybe) a iPhone-like multitouch touchpad. Price: somewhere between the $1,099 MacBook and the $1,999 MacBook Pro
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51