Sony PMW-EX3 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old April 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #46
Major Player

I'm sure the design was inspired by the XL series. Although I'm sure it's not as comfortable as a full-size shoulder-mount camera, it's gotta be better to hand-hold than the EX1! That and it still looks more impressive than a hand-held cam. :)
Old April 12th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
You are asking them to go back to CCDs really! It's not just the EX1 that has this problem. All new cameras with CMOS have the same issues.
Then it looks like budget matchmovers will have to look backwards for a cheap, high-quality matchmoving camera... like the Z1.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Staats View Post
If this camera is a reality, bye-bye Canon. I am a die-hard shoulder-mount camera user so it's been tough to consider the EX1, but with Canon's less than impressive update to the XL H1 series, the EX3 would be exactly what I need and want. If that Euro price was correct, looking at around $9400. Put me down for one!

Exactly! If Canon does not comes up with something more beefy, they're loosing it. How old is the EX1? They're already improving it!
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Presley View Post
Exactly! If Canon does not comes up with something more beefy, they're loosing it. How old is the EX1? They're already improving it!
I'm sure this this camera was planned from the get-go, but they really did use the feedback from the prototype EX1 for the EX3. This reminds me of the FX1 introduction, then the following release of the Z1U, and of course the more recent (though no lag time) announcements of HVR-Z7U and HVR-S270U cameras. I didn't see this coming either, but it makes sense now as to why the EX1 was so hard (impossible) to hold with one hand as it's underlying design was for the EX3 as a shoulder-mounted camera.

I love Canon's cameras, and I think what Sony has done with the 1/2 chips, etc, is brillant. They've raised the upper-end of the prosumer lineup standards industry-wide, so you bet Panasonic and Canon will have to respond. To be fair, the EX series is Sony's response to the HVX200 and XL-H1. Canon's answer to the FX1/Z1U was great with the XH series, so I bet they'll be ready with a response in 6-12 months, even with the recent upgrade of the XL series. As for Panasonic, the HVX200 replacement has to be just around the corner ;)
Christopher Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Then it looks like budget matchmovers will have to look backwards for a cheap, high-quality matchmoving camera... like the Z1.
Not really. The Z1 can't do 24p, so it's utility in this regard is limited.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #51
Major Player

Sony Releases New PMW-EX3 with Interchangeable Lenses

I don't think it's Area 51 any more...

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...nses-34926.htm

MSRP is $13,000 USD though. Are you still lining up?
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #52
Trustee

There is already a thread with much more information:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=119205
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #53
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach View Post
Not really. The Z1 can't do 24p, so it's utility in this regard is limited.
True, but for web usually you're using 30p or 60p. I'm thinking of matchmoving in a video podcast.

Budget people usually don't use 24p for matchmoving, it's impossible with the rolling shutter (a fine example is the HV20's, someone posted that the HV20 can't matchmove in 24p).
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #54
Regular Crew

The $13k price tag knocks this camera out for me, disappointing as I was thinking (or maybe hoping) for a sub-$10k price tag. Now it's back to the drawing board for me for my next purchase, Red Scarlet looks interesting but might be awhile...
Jae Staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #55
Major Player

Something wrong. These prices don't make sense for me.

If the prices on these websites are correct, this would be the 1st time when Sony's US and UK pricing would be the same (well, almost)

Nigel Cooper says "the PMW-EX3 is due to ship in July at a retail price of £5995, this is approximately £1500 more than the EX1." - which is roughly 30% difference.

In the US the EX1 is sold for $6500 so if the info on the EX3 US pricing is correct, it would mean a 100% difference - double price. Moreover taking the recent exchange rates, this would also mean that US customers were to buy the same thing for more money vs UK people - for £5995 being $12000 only as of today...

So if this US pricing is true and if I was a US prospect to buy EX3, I would buy a trip to London for $1000 (maybe some clubbing would also fit the bill) buy the EX3, then claim the 19% VAT back and laugh all the way home.

(VAT is 19-20% in the EU and it is included in the £5995 price according to Nigel)

Bottom line: The US price must be at least that much lower. I expect the cam being below $10k
Old April 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #56
Major Player

The Sony PMW-EX1 sells for £3950 in the UK.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Went to Phil Bloom website and saw a video of changes for the EX3 it looks great, but also the price range of 13,000 us dollars. That double the EX1. Why the big jump in price.
Old April 16th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
The Sony PMW-EX1 sells for £3950 in the UK.

Creativevideo UK: £3599 + VAT its closer to what Nigel said.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51