FCP assistant editors to be replaced by Australian XML App? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:33 PM   #1
Major Player

FCP assistant editors to be replaced by Australian XML App?

A mate in OZ sent me the link to this little app. Due out in Summer 2008.

http://www.theassistanteditor.com/

It's the editing application in for people who don't like editing. But I have to admit it could be helpful for rush jobs.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Wrangler

It was shown at the LAFCPUG Supermeet by the author himself. An interesting approach to doing rough-cuts, but you better have GOOD METADATA because that's what it works from.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Greg. I wasn't sure if this was legit so I put in in area 51.

The more I think about this app, the more I like it. With a bit more development it could be a FCP version of Avid's script sync.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore McNeil View Post

It's the editing application in for people who don't like editing. But I have to admit it could be helpful for rush jobs.
For people who don't like editing but do like data entry! :-)

I think those FCP assistant editors will find themselves plenty busy typing in all those additional keywords. The website is correct in that this is info that would previously be noted and transcribed, but not necessarily programmed right into the NLE.

Might be useful for corporates, some event videos and behind the scenes DVDs, but the website says:
[The app's cuts] are not expected to be emotionally compelling nor release grade “finished”. The Assistant Editor behaves as a beginner editor, not a craft professional who knows how to manipulate motion and tell a story across the whole documentary.
I always considered the first cut as a vital process in "trying to find the story across the whole documentary". I'm not sure I'd want to hand that task over to a bunch of algorithms, but then as Theodore says, it's not for us!
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51