DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   Mac pro update? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/141410-mac-pro-update.html)

Max Coyne January 12th, 2009 07:36 AM

Mac pro update?

Hi There,

I'm due, sometime in the next 3 months to upgrade my editing system. I thought perhaps with the rumours circulating, that with the release of the new 17 inch we might see a new mac pro coming out too. Does anyone know if there will be anything forth coming in say the next 3 months?

Hope you all tickety boo and having a good day - max x

Boyd Ostroff January 13th, 2009 03:13 PM

Well clearly nobody knows what Apple is planning (and wouldn't tell if they did). So about all you can do is look at the various rumor sites and decide how much faith you want to put in them. Personally I think it's a losing game to out-guess Apple.

Really, I think you just need to wait three months and buy whatever best suits your needs at that point, assuming that's your "drop dead date".

Max Coyne January 14th, 2009 05:41 AM

Thanks Boyd,

Its a rough estimate of available funds to cover it, thanks for the advice. M

Thomas Smet January 14th, 2009 09:48 AM

You can kind of figure a new Mac Pro would have to follow a new chip design from Intel since that is what it uses. The new xeons are not out yet so any Mac Pro that would come out before that time would not really be all that much better then what they have now. At this point the only way to really make it faster would be to go 16 core and Intel cannot do that yet. Once Intel comes out with 8 core cpu's so the xeons can do 16 cores then you can start to wonder if the Mac Pro will get an update that would really be worth it.

Robert Lane January 15th, 2009 10:43 AM

Unless Apple shocks the world with a 16-core machine the current lineup of MacPro's are the most capable ever produced. If you need to upgrade your system go for it, you'll be quite happy. If you can hold-off and see what they offer be my guest but don't expect anything super-fantastically different from the current model. Historically the last time the Mac-tower got a major upgrade was when they went from the G4 to the MacPro platform, ever "upgrade" since has been miniscule CPU and front-side bus enhancements.

Boyd Ostroff January 17th, 2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 995403)
Historically the last time the Mac-tower got a major upgrade was when they went from the G4 to the MacPro platform

What about the G5?....

Robert Lane January 25th, 2009 12:00 PM

Boyd is correct; it was the changeover from G4 to the G5 platform that made a major change in capabilities. I'd almost forgotten about that series since the first MacPro was so G5-like.

Denise Wall February 2nd, 2009 08:04 PM

Looks like mid-late second quarter

Next-gen Mac Pro processors could arrive March 29 - AppleInsider

Andy Wilkinson February 3rd, 2009 05:14 AM

Thanks for the info and interesting speculation in the link - helps me decide the timing on my Mac Pro.

Stefan Immler February 5th, 2009 02:12 PM

According to MacRumors (Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone), an update of the Mac Pro is imminent. It's been 394 days since the last upgrade, while the average upgrade period is 217 days.

Bill Davis February 8th, 2009 04:25 AM

The way I understand it, the next big Mac productivity boost is actually going to be the introduction of the finalized Snow Leopard OS. Adding more and faster processor cores is fine, but having Grand Central as the traffic cop to make the data flow efficiently through and between the cores - plus the ability to cross-task the GPU to stuff like rendering if it's not doing anything important at the moment should really make a huge difference for those of us who edit every day.

Shaun Roemich February 11th, 2009 10:48 AM

New on MacRumors today: Nehalem processors are "imminent" and sources are supporting the March 29th rumoured ship date. See above link.

Boyd Ostroff March 2nd, 2009 09:08 AM

Well, since this is Area 51....

Apple Event Scheduled for March 24? [Updated] | World of Apple

Quote:

A source has disclosed to World of Apple that Apple is planning to hold an event on March 24 to unveil new desktop hardware. The source which has been confirmed to be in reach of such information stated that the event would be similar to the notebook event held by Apple last October.

Liza Witz March 2nd, 2009 02:48 PM

Others are predicting that the March 24th date will be iMacs. I would bet that the next Mac Pros will be announced at WWDC, but that's just my feeling.

I've seen a lot of rumored Apple product announcement dates, many of which didn't have announcements.

The only thing I can say about the 24th of March is that its a tuesday. If apple wants to announce new products, it will be on a tuesday.

Ivan Snoeckx March 3rd, 2009 07:44 AM

New Mac Pro is out!

The new Mac Pro is out.

Mac Pro update - Apple Store (U.S.)