DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   New stuff from Sony at NAB? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/146911-new-stuff-sony-nab.html)

Thomas Gregory March 29th, 2009 04:26 PM

New stuff from Sony at NAB?

Anyone have any insight as to what Sony might be bringing to NAB in regards to the EX series? (maybe the EX5 full size camera?????) {i wish}

Thomas Diehl March 30th, 2009 11:26 AM

50mbit/s - like panasonics new cam?

or a 50 mbit/s update for ex1/3
a lot of broadcasting stations want at least 50mbit/s and panasonics new camera AG-HPX301E even does 100mbit/s (4:2:2, 10bit) for a similar price as the ex3.
tempting. inspite of only 1/3inch chips. isn't it?

Doug Jensen March 30th, 2009 12:19 PM

Tempting? Not really.

AVC-Intra is not nearly as efficient as MPEG, and even at 100Mbps I don't think it will look as good as 35 Mbps on the EX cameras. AVC-Intra would have to be up around 140 to equal HQ on the EX cameras. Any client who just looks as the raw amount of data recorded per second is missing the bigger picture. For example, would you rather have a pro SLR with 6 megapixels or a little point and shoot with 12?

Factor in the price of P2 cards (vs. MxR), the reduced record capaicity on equivalent sized P2 cards, the 1/3" sensors, the tiny viewfinder, and you've got a camera that I wouldn't care to own.

Also, I'm pretty sure that AVC-Intra has to be converted to ProRes before you can even edit in FCP. That's what I've heard. Never tried it myself.

The only thing about the 300 that appeals to me is the shoulder-mount design.

Markus Klatt March 30th, 2009 01:31 PM

Just a naive question:
would it be possible to make the EX1 shoot in 1080/50p (or 60p) by firmware update? Or are there any hardware limitations prohibiting this?
It just comes in my mind, if we need a NAB for a new cam or if we could somehow wait and hope for a firmware update ;)

Alister Chapman March 31st, 2009 12:50 AM

At the Sony EX-perience events last week the UK XDCAM product manager said that the current Sony XDCAM 50Mb 4:2:2 encoder chip set consumes something like 14 watts of power. Because of that he felt it was unlikely that we will see an EX1 sized product working at 50Mbps due to excessive power consumption and heat.

David C. Williams March 31st, 2009 03:43 AM

That doesn't sound right, or includes some other hardware. The NanoFlash use 2 of those chips and draw 7.5 watts?

Michael Wisniewski March 31st, 2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1035951)
... AVC-Intra is not nearly as efficient as MPEG, and even at 100Mbps I don't think it will look as good as 35 Mbps on the EX cameras ... Also, I'm pretty sure that AVC-Intra has to be converted to ProRes before you can even edit in FCP. That's what I've heard. Never tried it myself.

My understanding is that AVC-Intra is way more efficient than MPEG-2. In fact, at the same bit rates, Panasonic Broadcast is touting the image as better than XDCAM. And at higher bit rates, they're comparing to their D5 standard, which is in the same league as Sony's HDCAM SR. Of course I got this information at a public relations conference, so take it with a grain of salt.

By the way, here's the software you need to natively edit AVC-Intra in Final Cut Pro.

Michael Wisniewski March 31st, 2009 09:57 AM

And Sony has said that they will eventually move to AVC. Just a question of when, but in the long term that's where their R&D is headed.

Ivan Snoeckx March 31st, 2009 11:04 AM

Here is a white paper on the performance characteristics of MPEG-2 Long
GoP vs AVC-I video compression techniques.

MPEG-2 vs AVC-Intra

I don't know much about these codec things, but after reading this paper, to me it looks that AVC-Intra isn't more efficient at all.

Heath McKnight April 3rd, 2009 02:32 PM

Traditionally, Sony has announced new products at the last few NABs, however the V1u and FX7 were announced in the fall of 2006 (I was able to use a prototype of the V1u while we were shooting my last film that October).

At NAB 2004 it was the FX1/Z1 (shipped Fall 04 and Feb 05, respectively), NAB 07 it was the EX1 (shipped fall 07), NAB 08 it was the EX3 (shipped fall 08).

heath

Randy Panado April 6th, 2009 05:05 AM

General question about NAB, do manufacturers release ALL info the first day as far as new products or does the info trickle out during the weekend? thanks

Heath McKnight April 6th, 2009 05:44 AM

It was the Sunday before the show started that Apple (2007) and Sony announced new products (2007 and 08).

heath

Chris Hurd April 6th, 2009 07:02 AM

This year Sony's press conference happens on Sunday, April 19th, one day prior to the opening of the NAB show floor.

Heath McKnight April 6th, 2009 09:41 AM

Chris,

I believe I saw you at last year's Sony Press Conference, briefly, but I got lost in the crowd. I won't be attending this year, so have a cold one on me and say hey to everyone!

heath

Chris Hurd April 6th, 2009 11:21 AM

Will do on both accounts, several times over. Sorry we won't see you there this year.