New Canon Video Cams? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old March 30th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New Canon Video Cams?

This may be area 51, but I think everyone needs to see this...

Canon Adopting dSLR Chips for a New Pro Camcorder?
Casey Krugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Trustee

Yes.. I heard that Canon is working on something from the folks here but they too do not know what it is.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

The problem with these so-called "rumors" is that anybody can make up anything and submit it as a rumor. Then, when new product is eventually announced that bears no similarity whatsoever to such rumors, some people tend to fly off the handle... "they said it was going to be this but it's really that!"

For example, some recent nonsense about the new Canon Rebel T1a having an articulating LCD display... a complete fabrication which some folks bought into. The problem as far as we're concerned is that this junk really pollutes our site when it goes out beyond Area 51.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Trustee

I'm going to call this one junk, based on the slim evidence that typically Mssr. Hurd goes to "radio silence" whenever a rumor gets too close to the truth.

(although I have to say I liked everything about it except the price)

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Those who will tell don't know. Those who know won't tell.

My biggest gripe with this sort of thing isn't how unsubstantiated it is; it's more a matter of how much unrealistic expectation it generates. I've zapped a handful of posts out of our News forum that were trying to pass this off as news... that's the one thing this ain't.

When you consider that the source for this nonsense not only said the Rebel T1i would have a flip-out LCD, but also didn't have a clue about its 20fps video mode, that should give you an idea as to how much credibility you should assign to it (that is, zero). It's okay to be wrong when you speculate about forthcoming product, but when you propagate it as "news," well that just brings your credibility down to typical internet levels, which we're trying hard to rise above here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Major Player

People have speculated on Canon taking this evolutionary course of action for their video cameras for a very long time now.
I can recollect my off-hand remarks regarding this possibility from last year shortly after the D90 & 5DMkII were announced.
It'd be interesting if CR was really reporting some inside information.
I suppose there's still a slight possibility that they might be (however distorted or dilluted), and in time could be proven partially right.
However, since a lot of people have been openly making this prediction for years now, CR appears to be simply charting a course of innevitability and using the information they've gotten along the way to enflame the fantasies of their readers.
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Major Player

I have spoken to un-unamed rep from Canon, fairly high up, and he said he could neither confirm, nor deny, but had that look on his face.

I do think something is up.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Wrangler

Ha! There's ALWAYS something up. Design cycles never stop, so I guess one could say that a generic speculation like that will never be wrong. Not useful, but also not wrong.

When Canon is ready to release info on a new camera, we will have info. Not sooner.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51