FCS 3... anyone care to guess? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old March 20th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #46
Regular Crew

How about Final Cut Express?

I would be happy with a new version of FCE with 24p support and native avchd support. 24p is now in what, a gazillion avchd consumer cams? Why not release FCE to support those cameras?
Geoff Murrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Murrin View Post
I would be happy with a new version of FCE with 24p support and native avchd support. 24p is now in what, a gazillion avchd consumer cams? Why not release FCE to support those cameras?
Because of the incredulity of spending in inordinate amount of programming effort in a $1200 software suite to support $599 camera with quasi 24p hackjob support.

Trying to efficiently edit AVCHD makes about as much sense as replacing a sledghammer with your head to knock down a wall.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Seeing as how Sony seems to be covering these bases with vegas Pro 8. It has 24p and avchd support, all for $549.95. I can imagine/dream/hope that Apple would answer back with similar FCE support.

And really, all the leg work is probably being done for the rumored new version Final Cut Pro for 24p and I assume avchd, then FCE shouldn't be a problem. Of course imacs may not be powerful enough for native avchd support so that means buying a more expensive mac tower.
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #49
Regular Crew

And yes, i realize fce doesn't natively support hdv at this moment. But seeing as how both hdv and avchd are considered consumer codecs first and foremost, I would think that a the prosumer FCE should be able to support it.
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Seeing as how Sony seems to be covering these bases with vegas Pro 8. It has 24p and avchd support, all for $549.95. I can imagine/dream/hope that Apple would answer back with similar FCE support.

And really, all the leg work is probably being done for the rumored new version Final Cut Pro for 24p and I assume avchd, then FCE shouldn't be a problem. Of course imacs may not be powerful enough for native avchd support so that means buying a more expensive mac tower.
Yeah I know FCS3 has to offer a decent set of tools for working with AVCHD because the Japanese hegemony behind the format is strong. Though with the advent of fast NAND memory and huge cards. It's about time to go back to a codec that is aimed at editing. 50Mbps is cake now for the fastest CF cards and with SDXC supporting 100MBps datarates I hope something is in development. I like the quality of AVCHD but let's move to something the gives us more coloring latitude and easier editing (stepping off soapbox)

I'm going to need AVCHD support because dollars to donutes my next camera is likely to support it. If transcoding gives me some benefits I'll look at that but the benefits will have to outweight the transcode times.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Because FCE is SUPPOSED to be Final Cut LITE. It piggybacks off the R&D done on FCP for people who require a lesser infrastructure. My UPGRADE costs 4 times what your outright purchase price does. If Apple wanted to pursue iMovie Prosumer, I'd be all over them providing whatever support they want to to it. As long as FCE is a derivative work of FCP, let's keep the pros happy first. Or the folks that are willing to shell out the cost to buy FCS (and I'm sure there are an awful lot of FCS suites out there that AREN'T running legitimately...) <gets down off soapbox>
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Further Speculation...

Ripple Training is offering 30% off their FCS DVDs... Hmmmm... sound like PERHAPS they know something about the life expectancy of tools aimed at FCS2? Just more fuel for the fire...
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #53
Major Player

I suspect Ripple are clearing their DVD inventory so that they can deliver their product purely as downloaded "iTunes editions" in future. That was the impression I got.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #54
Inner Circle

Interesting. I read it as getting rid of "soon to be obsolete" hard copies as downloadable content can be updated at any time. We shall see...
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #55
Major Player

Good point, Shaun.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:14 AM   #56
Major Player

Any news or new rumours on Final Cut Studio 3 from NAB's floor?
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:05 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Have a look at this

Pro Apps and MacBooks to see update at WWDC | 9 to 5 Mac
Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:41 AM   #58
Major Player

Thanks Hans!

I also just found that link. ;-)
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:51 AM   #59
Trustee

Without native AVCHD support and/or Blu-Ray support, I won't consider Final Cut Studio 3 a significant upgrade. They will continue to loose some market share to Adobe if they keep this up.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; April 22nd, 2009 at 02:28 PM.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #60
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
Without native AVCHD support and/or Blu-Ray support, I won't consider Final Cut Studio 3 a significant upgrade. They will continue to loose some market share to Adobe if they keep this up.
I expect that Apple is readying FCS 3 to work with Snow Leopard technologies like OpenCL for improved HD encoding times as well as a totally new ground-up build of QuickTime that should support Blu-ray playback etc. That is the hope.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51