How to crack functions in Canon camcorders? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old March 29th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to crack functions in Canon camcorders?

Everybody knows about functions people discovered in early Sony camcorders, like VX-1000 and PC-7, but since then I didn´t hear any talking about this issue.

I got a Canon Optura 10. Is there any way, for example, to activate a night mode function that only Optura 20 has?
Old March 29th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

the only "trick" ive heard about canons is on the gl1. there was a trick to get color bars. they werent even proper color values.
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you're really bored.... And you've spend lots of time really learning your camcorder, you can hunt for "easter eggs" by trying different key combinations. You usually have to use two or three keys. You may have absolutely no luck at all. You'd better write down what you're doing (or use some sort of written plan) since if you <do> find a neat code sequence, you'd likely want to remember it.

There is probably something out there given the enormous number of potential key combinations and the fact that service / technical folks have a need to get to places in the system that users don't. It may not be of much use (the firmware revision number for example).

Have fun.
Roger Golub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Why not just look for an Optura 20? :-))

Why screw around with your cam when you can go shooting with it?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #5
Wrangler

There is an overcrank mode* in the Canon XL1, but not the XL1s. I guess it was some sort of factory test function, but it allows you to capture up to 120 frames per second so you can do slow motion using your XL1.

If I remember correctly you have to set the mode to "green box", then you hold down both shutter speed buttons at the same time until you bring up a menu. I think for 5 or 10 seconds.

I didn't have much use for it, so I only tried it a few times. Works allright. Hope this helps.

I hear there is also a 24p mode, but don't know how to set it. I think you have to put it in manual, and rotate the focus ring 90degrees CCW while rotating the zoom ring 90degrees CW, holding down both shutter speed buttons while whispering "Canon rules, Sony sucks" into the microphone, all simultaneously.
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #6
Wrangler

* by overcrank mode, I mean colour bar mode.
All references to 120fps and slow motion actually mean non-SMPTE colour bars. In no way is there any overcrank/120fps/slow motion mode.

Heh heh...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51