DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   Guess what I saw today? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/23836-guess-what-i-saw-today.html)

John Locke March 31st, 2004 12:32 AM

Guess what I saw today?

I was at Canon's testing and development center today on business, and a couple of techs were outside testing a new camcorder, shooting footage of the cherry blossoms now in bloom here...and guess what the camera said on the side: "Canon XL2 - HD"! That's right, I've seen it boys.

They wouldn't let me take a close look at it (but I snapped a quick shot with my phone camera), but it had the same body design and color as now, except it had what looked to be the professional B&W viewfinder, a built-in MA-200 type XLR and power junction, and a swing out LCD. It also had this really cool stealth-shaped popup light, like the type you see on Canon's still cameras, except this was a continuous source.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Ken Tanaka March 31st, 2004 01:24 AM

What makes you think anyone would be interested? <G>

Robert Knecht Schmidt March 31st, 2004 03:33 AM

Locke, no fair getting the jump on all of us. Hey, did you ever go to see 2 + 1?

Andreas Fernbrant March 31st, 2004 10:49 AM

Sooo, I guess you are keeping the picture of the XL2 in your phone? ;)

I know you want to post it here on the web for all to see, come on now... :)

John Locke March 31st, 2004 11:58 AM

Andreas,

The word from above is "don't show it. Not without permission." So there you have it.

Robert, unfortunately I wound up working non-stop last weekend. Any DVDs for sale?

Heath McKnight April 1st, 2004 10:48 AM

I saw info on the XL3 the other day. Some sort of new format, better than HDV. It's gonna be called the XL3 BTHDV. But won't be out for a while...

It looks a lot like a regular XL-1s, except they added the same exact lens as the Hubble Telescope. There's a freebie gigantic lens stand to hold it up. The lens is about 40 feet long.

heath

John Locke April 1st, 2004 11:22 AM

Heath,

No joke. I saw it.

Josh Brusin April 1st, 2004 11:28 AM

I wanna see...

Heath McKnight April 1st, 2004 11:43 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke : Heath,

No joke. I saw it. -->>>

Hmmm, ditto. Canon has a new testing lab in West Palm Beach, Florida, luckily!

heath

Imran Zaidi April 1st, 2004 11:45 AM

April 1st is just a hard time to convince anybody of anything...

Especially since I just returned from a place where this guy I know just tested a beta copy of the new DVX100A-HD. It does 24p HD. But nobody believes me.

Heath McKnight April 1st, 2004 11:55 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi : April 1st is just a hard time to convince anybody of anything...

Especially since I just returned from a place where this guy I know just tested a beta copy of the new DVX100A-HD. It does 24p HD. But nobody believes me. -->>>

Hey, I was pointed to this thread from the boss saying just that: April Fool's Day.

I'd wait until tomorrow, when this thread is probably gone and re-post as a solid rumor. It's tough today, isn't it?

heath

Heath McKnight April 1st, 2004 12:08 PM

That looks suspiciously like the old professional Canon Hi-8 camera...

heath

Ken Tanaka April 1st, 2004 12:12 PM

It is.

Imran Zaidi April 1st, 2004 12:22 PM

It's just a retro design. They're kickin' it old school. It's all the rage, these days.

John Locke April 3rd, 2004 09:55 PM

Now that it's April 4...I should 'fess up.

Darn near impossible to pull an April Fool's gag on this crowd...so next year I'll start it in January to give the gag a more fighting chance. ;)