DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   Wow! Lots of pixels! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/24092-wow-lots-pixels.html)

Frank Granovski April 5th, 2004 03:54 AM

Wow! Lots of pixels!

"A single frame of film contains over 12 million pixels of information and the full range of human emotion." ---Kodak

I'm glad I use film. :-)

I wonder how many pixels there are in film from a large format camera?

Ted Springer April 5th, 2004 03:04 PM

I KNOW you don't think that film actually uses pixels! But my friends at Kodak tell me that a 35mm frame of film (Motion picture 4-perf with, not photographic stills) is equivilant to about 4,000 lines of resolution, though many movies render their CGI at 2k. When you think the special effects in a movie look soft wand mushy (like A Perfect Storm, etc) then that's because they rendered it at 2k. The movies Stuart Little 1 and 2 are rendered at 4k, and look how much better they look.

My friends at Kodak have been trying to get the whole range of emotion into film, but so far the only emotion film can feel is annoyance. Someday, I may tell Kodak that film isn't actually alive and is incapable of emotion.

Anyway, do you have a link to that quote? Where did you see it?

Aaron Koolen April 5th, 2004 03:46 PM

Holy crap! That's it - it's all so clear now! That's why all my my actors look so emotionless and awful when I view the footage. I'm shooting on miniDV! It must only have about 3% of the emotion of film. At least I'm in PAL land though - that's some consolation.

Aaron

Graham Bernard April 6th, 2004 12:14 AM

½ Rations

Think what that low res does for the chow wagon?!?! You are only getting ¼ > ½ of yer burger; or sandwich; or steak . . .. ooooh is that why! Thanks Frank . ..

Frank Granovski April 6th, 2004 03:08 AM

I'm not finished yet. Kodak has a HD film line (high definition). I guess that means even higher resolution but in the 16:9 format, unless it's 35mm motion film, I bet. :-))

Rob Belics April 6th, 2004 08:09 AM

Kodak and other film companies use that emotional term frequently. Someone in another thread here talked about how film seems to convey an emotion that video doesn't. And I frequently read that on other forums.

It may have to do with the better color produceability. In B&W it can show jarring contrasts in dramatic scenes.

That is what they mean by films ability to show emotion just as an actor or scene can set a mood.

Filip Kovcin April 10th, 2004 03:51 PM

"A single frame of film contains over 12 million pixels of information and the full range of human emotion." ---Kodak
==========================================

- where i can find info about emotional pixels?

- how big or how many pixels are in "full range"? does this means that half of "full range" is also half of the resolution or what?

-need mathematic formula for human emotions factor

- is kodak talking about processed/developed film frame or just exposed? or maybe not exposed?

- is this visible on x-rays machines on the airports?

- does this means that if we are shooting non humans (empty can, slate/clap, dirt, animal, or fuji logo) - suddenly emotions on the screen are also human?

- is that single frame wieved by anyone or not? or it's a just a theoretical example?

- so the film grain is just ilusion - there are moving pixels!

- is chemical pixel patented?

need help!!!

thanks

filip

Frank Granovski April 10th, 2004 06:49 PM

"where i can find info about emotional pixels?"

Why, just contact Kodak, my friend.

"how big or how many pixels are in "full range"? does this means that half of "full range" is also half of the resolution or what?"

Or what.

"need mathematic formula for human emotions factor"

You will need to either contact Kodak or a professional photographer who owns a black professional Nikon F5.

"is kodak talking about processed/developed film frame or just exposed? or maybe not exposed?"

Processed/developed film frame.

"is this visible on x-rays machines on the airports?"

No.

"does this means that if we are shooting non humans (empty can, slate/clap, dirt, animal, or fuji logo) - suddenly emotions on the screen are also human?"

Animals are human, if you ask me.

"is that single frame wieved by anyone or not? or it's a just a theoretical example?"

Yes, they're single frames viewed by anyone or not. Certainly not theoretical although I'm sure it was in the beginning.

"so the film grain is just ilusion - there are moving pixels!"

No illusion and no moving pixels.

"is chemical pixel patented?"

Again, contack Kodak for the answer.

"need help!!!"

What kind of help? :-))

Boyd Ostroff April 10th, 2004 07:44 PM

"over 12 million pixels of information and the full range of human emotion."

Sounds like these must be some truly "moving pictures".

Mike Condron May 10th, 2004 09:30 AM

It's "...emulsion"

Get it right guys.

Rob Belics May 10th, 2004 09:37 AM

No. The article says emotion, not emulsion.

Mike Condron May 10th, 2004 10:18 AM

Well I've never actually SEEN a Kodak retiree. I think it's emulsion.

Rob Belics May 10th, 2004 10:34 AM

???

Nick Hiltgen May 11th, 2004 12:36 AM

I think mike's making a funny rob.

Frank Granovski May 11th, 2004 01:49 AM

Nevertheless, "a single frame of film contains over 12 million pixels of information." That's why I use film for my pics (and sharp Nikkor lenses). :-))