DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   Pictures of Chernobyl (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/24500-pictures-chernobyl.html)

Richard Maloney April 12th, 2004 11:03 PM

Pictures of Chernobyl

Copied from my forum:

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/ki.../chapter1.html
A really interesting look at the area surrounding Chernobyl.
I can only imagine what the cleanup crews and pilots etc. were told when they had to enter this place.

Frank Granovski April 12th, 2004 11:34 PM

Sort of like the area around Sudbury.

Robert Knecht Schmidt April 13th, 2004 12:10 AM

Disturbing, haunting, and a bit poetic. Thanks for sharing.

Ignacio Rodriguez April 13th, 2004 12:27 AM

I... I cannot describe the sensation experienced when looking at these pictures and reading the text... not unlike seeing the first few minutes of 'The Zone' by Tarkowsky. Let's hope humanity can learn the lesson and never do this again.

Ted Springer April 13th, 2004 01:36 AM

You mean never be super cheap and cut corners again? Amen!

Keith Loh April 13th, 2004 09:03 AM

There is a PC game coming out soon called S.T.A.L.K.E.R. that seems inspired by Tarkakovsky and the events at Chernobyl.

Rob Lohman April 13th, 2004 04:13 PM

Ignacio & Robert captured it perfectly. Hard to describe the
feeling and definitely disturbing. To get it back on a bit lighter
note and site related: there are some neat locations to shoot
some movies there (if there was no radation).

Thanks for the link!

Ignacio Rodriguez April 13th, 2004 07:23 PM

Hmm. There are some interesting locations here in Chile, ghost towns in the desert, no people... but it's more than the pictures and the place... it's the way this person describes and refers to the whole thing with such irony and humor...

Adam VanScoyoc April 14th, 2004 09:29 PM

I just looked through the Chernobyl site tonight and was blown away. I don't think I'd go anywhere near that place, that lady has stones. I was fascinated by what I learned- wormwood, glowing trees, those poor fireman that had no idea what they were getting into. I'm kind of bummed out now after seeing those last couple pages of the school and thinking about those little kids in the kindergarten nearby.

I'm in serious need of cheering up.

Dylan Couper April 15th, 2004 02:00 AM

Yeah, those people who are a bit more meotional might want to skip the last few pages about the school.

I saw this website a few weeks ago. Besides disturbing me, it also reminded me of tha ftermath of a zombie movie, only without the zombies.

Mark Moore April 16th, 2004 09:36 PM

Hey, thanks for posting the link. That was a great photo journey and the accompanying text was great. It almost makes me feel guilty for enjoying it so much . . . almost!

It was very sad thinking of all the people who did/could have died there (300-400,000?). It would be an incredible place to visit, shoot and document, but I suppose it's been done already.

Thanks again. It really makes you think!

Greg Boston April 17th, 2004 01:53 AM

I too, saw this site a couple weeks ago. The link came to me through a fellow motorcycle rider.

Very sobering read. I couldn't stop until the very end. This lady did a very good job of conveying the mood through stills and text.

Steve McDonald May 14th, 2004 12:33 AM

I won't be surprised if that striking presentation wins some website awards.
Its URL is being spread like wildfire among the biker crowd and I have no friends who haven't seen it and made favorable comments. No one seems to stop viewing the lengthy collection until they've reached the end.

The young woman who produced it has a daddy in the governmental agency concerned with nuclear affairs. He got special permission for her to go through the danger zone. She's quite an interesting item, herself. She must be a
real spectacle, streaking along on her superbike. But, I wonder if she kissed you on the cheek, if it would glow in the dark?

Steve McDonald