New video iPod at NAB? (speculation) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old April 17th, 2004, 08:59 PM   #1
Major Player

New video iPod at NAB? (speculation)

Ok, we'll know for sure soon and this is normally not the place for speculation but I can't resist.

Apple looks to have something big planned for NAB. Updates to portables are likely but not enough to merit that much attention. The theme of the event is 'moving pitures, moving sound'. This sounds a LOT like a new iPod is on the horizon. A while back Apple advertised for a programmer who knew video codecs for their iPod division. There have been rumors of a 4th generation iPod that could store video. I think it might go farther - what if this announcement is a way to use an iPod as a portable firewire device for video? It would require very few changes to the device - it wouldn't need a video screen for example. Just the software to allow it to capture as a firewire device from a camera. Take it off, plug it into your computer and start editing. That would be cool!
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 12:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: New video iPod at NAB? (speculation)

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Price : ..what if this announcement is a way to use an iPod as a portable firewire device for video? It would require very few changes to the device - it wouldn't need a video screen for example. Just the software to allow it to capture as a firewire device from a camera. Take it off, plug it into your computer and start editing. That would be cool! -->>>

Well, MCE already make the excellent QuickStream DV ,which does exactly what you describe and comes with a lot of neat on-camera accessories. One of the coolest features is that you can start recording direct to the drive without even turning your camera to "record", so you are not putting any wear on the camera at all!

It's at:
http://www.mcetech.com/quickstreamdv.html

or read the review and discount info at:
http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/quickstreamDV/
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 05:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Steve Jobs is on record as not liing the idea of a video iPod very much.

See:

http://portables.about.com/b/a/057829.htm
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 02:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Ok, I was wrong although being able to capture video to an iPod like a firestore device still seems to be a good idea.

Steve Jobs comments about a video iPod look to me to be more directed twoards playback (ala DVDs). I agree with him, there is no way a movie would look good on a small screen that would fit in an iPod. Whether to have a screen big-enough to preview pictures is another story entirely. There are many after-market mini-hard drives with small screens for downloading photos.

I don't think an iPod firestore device would require any screen at all - just the software that would allow it to record data from the firewire cable to the disk.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51