XL1S discontinued?! Guess why... ;) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old June 6th, 2004, 02:55 AM   #16

By the way, Rob Lohman,

Thanks for directing me to this link!
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 02:59 AM   #17

By the way, guys, for those of you that have and XL-1 or XL-1s, I wouldn't bet on Canon releasing this new camera to come with the ability to use the same lenses. I figured on not trusting them that way when they upgraded from the L-1 and L-2 (Hi-8 predecessors) into the XL-1. The lenses from my L-1 and L-2 were not compatable with the XL-1. As a result, I stayted with the Sony DCR VX-1000. It has served me well, but man was I annoyed. Just a small heads up.
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 05:16 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I guess one of the reasons that Canon doesn't hype its cameras months before release is that it doesn't want its competitors to know what there up against. My big hope for the new camera is that it's backwards compatible with my XL1s lens, because if I can just buy the body I will be very happy indeed, even if it comes with some super manual lens.
Kieran Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #19
Major Player

Well, I mean, hell, we all know it will be HD (or HDV as it's called in the industry) and that it will be 3CCD. The only questions remain are:

1. Is it compatible with XL1/XL1S-compatible lenses?

2. Is it HD 24p capable?

3. What size are the CCDs?

4. Does it shoot true 16:9?

5. Does it have a good microphone? (Proably don't =) )

6. Is it going to be blue and white instead of the usual Canon red
and white?

7. Will it be able to kick the $][iT out of Sony's/JVC's/Panasonic's
cameras?

8. Frame Mode?

9. Price?

That's about it for me. But I hope that it does come out, it would be a huge leap from my GL1, which is still in brand new shape because I've hardly used it except for home movies so far =P (want to do some films but it's just lacking in areas). But we'll just have to wait and see, I guess.
Old June 6th, 2004, 10:30 AM   #20
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Jack Felis : Well, I mean, hell, we all know it will be HD (or HDV as it's called in the industry) -->>>

Whoa there... It being HDV is a really big assumption. In fact, if it is released within a few months (which may not be the case) then I would be surprised if it actually was HD. Canon seems to adopt new trends much later than other manufacturers, plus HDV was only announced in the fall of last year and it takes between a year and a year and a half to get a new camcorder to the market. If we see an XL2 before the fall, I don't think it will be HDV.
Old June 6th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #21
Major Player

You know, this shouldn't really be in Area 51, seeing as the post that started this thread could easily be confirmed by anyone who wants to take the time.... like me.

I did some research, and quickly confirmed the claim that opens this thread. Now, as for the claims that follow.... I can't speak for those.

JACK:

1. Is it compatible with XL1/XL1S-compatible lenses?
My guess, probably not.

2. Is it HD 24p capable?
HDV, yes. 24p, I'm hearing no, but we'll have to wait and see.

3. What size are the CCDs?
1/3"

4. Does it shoot true 16:9?
Yes.

5. Does it have a good microphone? (Proably don't =) )
Haven't heard anything about the microphone, but no probably not.

6. Is it going to be blue and white instead of the usual Canon red
and white?
Haven't heard anything on color scheme. Actually I never thought to ask about it.

7. Will it be able to kick the $][iT out of Sony's/JVC's/Panasonic's
cameras?
That's obviously a matter of opinion. The only serious contender will be the DVX100a in my opinion.

8. Frame Mode?
This all depends on the support for 24p. My guess is, if the camera includes 24p recording, then frame mode will be a thing of the past. But, since I've heard more than once that 24p will probably not be included in the camera, I'm assuming that frame mode will still be included.

9. Price?
Under $5K is the number I've heard repeatedly.

Of course, not of THOSE claims can be confirmed or denied.
:)

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #22
Wrangler

I heard through someone who spoke to a prominent 3rd party manufacturer that they had received assurance from Canon that the lens mount would be compatible.

How's that for Area 51 doublespeak--just hope it's true.
Old June 6th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #23
Inner Circle

My last post on this subject.

A little bird told me back in December...

HDV

24p

Backward compatible

Look for it in August.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I have a feeling it will have 24p.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...t_04_07_03.htm

By the way, if you look at the comments about the interview, you can see that they were posted at the beginning of April of last year.
Mark Grgurev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #25
Major Player

Personally I believe it will have 24P because I have a hard time believing otherwise. The market seems to be demanding it, and expecting it, and to not offer it would be marketing suicide.

I was only repeating what I have been told from various sources.
The word I've heard is no 24p.
But again, I'll only believe that when I see it (or don't see it as the case may be).

At least now I know how long I have to wait.

-Mr D.

PS.
By the way, Scott Billups still has this up on his site:
(talking about the DVX100)

"This is a very nice first shot for a 24P palmcorder, but if you want something that gets you out of the consumer market you're going to need to wait for the XL2 later this year."

Take that for what you will.
Old June 6th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #26
Trustee

All I can say is why not hype things up? I mean hey, Panasonic did well with the DVX100. Nice revolutionary features, lots of hype and hey, they're pretty popular.

I'm not an expert in the field of digital video marketing, at all, but I get the same feelings when I think and read about Canon as I did with Commodore in the days of the Amiga. Great potential and great product, but not enough insight and guts to be adventurous in order to try and capture a market. Unwilling to take many risks. DV is a blooming market right? Why not hype the hell out of it - bring exciting and leading edge products out, and get whatever you can from it - after all, profit is what it's all about.

Aaron
Old June 6th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Luis: "At least now I know how long I have to wait."

Really? I must have missed that. I'll have to read this topic-thread again... [g]
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 05:19 PM   #28
Major Player

Ed,

I of course said that assuming that I am right (and why would I assume otherwise?)

The new camera will be announced in July.
I'm assuming that when it is announced, we will be given all the details on the features.

So, yes, although there has been no official word from Canon, I am 100% certain that an announcement will be made in July.

For those of you waiting for an official announcement from Canon before believing that the Xl1s is discontinued and that a new camera is on its way..... well.... I guess you'll have to wait until July to hear it.

-Luis
Old June 6th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #29
Trustee

Ok. I have no information...just a weird hunch, backed up by a speculative reaction to an anomalous occurrance. Here goes.

The new camera is called the XL1 HD.

Here's why....Go to the canondv.com website. Click on the xl1s icon and bring up the xl1s flash front page.

Once in a while over the past few months, I've gone to this site, and changed the xl1s's in the address to xl2's, and all I get is a generic "not on this server" message. After listening to all the HD hype in this thread...which I do not believe at all...I decided to type in HD after the XL1...well I didn't get anywhere, but I did get a Canon generated response that the page isn't there, or has moved. Now I tried a few other options and all I got was the generic message...the only one I could get the canon generated response was by using xl1hd in the address.

I think we can comfortably say that the new camera is called the Xl1 HD.

I'll call when I get to Roswell.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 06:30 PM   #30
Trustee

Ok, now it doesn't work anymore. further proof of my theory, and that canon is indeed watching me. Is that a helicopter?

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51