XL1S discontinued?! Guess why... ;) - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old June 9th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #46
Major Player

I don't know about you guys,
but I'm keeping my fingers crossed
that the new XL camera brings back
that incamera digital wipe effect!!
:)

ahhh...we can only dream.

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #47
Major Player

Dan Palomaki wrote:

>Actually, the L-2 offered a bit beyond
>timecode.

---------------------------------------

The OIS lens offered by Canon in 1993 for the VL camcorder series, was strictly an add-on item and could be used with the older L-1. The cheapest I ever saw it sold, until closeout time, was about $2,500. This was more than I had paid for an entire new L-1 kit, a few months earlier. It was also slow in its responses and not as good as the OIS that Canon and Sony put in their small camcorders. I doubt that more than a few of these lenses were sold.

There were rumors about the L-2 having an improved CCD, but when I talked to several people inside Canon, including some video engineers, they denied this. They all insisted that the CCD was the same as in the L-1, with 379K video-active pixels. Then, another rumor claimed that later production runs of the L-2 had a CCD with improved sensitivity, but the Canon people also denied this. I could see no improvement at all in footage from the L-2. Surely, if such an advance was being offered, they wouldn't have surpressed acknowledgement of its existence. My L-1 still works as well as ever, but its images are weak in color compared to Sony Hi-8 cameras of this era
and its white balance, both auto and manual, leaves much to be desired.

Both the L-1 and L-2 and the pro model LX100, were based on great ideas and developments. They had unprecedented features and controls for camcorders in their price range and are a real kick to use. But, factors based on marketing considerations, limited them from being produced in their best forms. The reputation and excitement about the VL series, that preceded its actual release for sale, was the highest point of its existence.

I have a Sony EV-S3000, a Hi-8 VCR with two extra digital audio channels. The quality of this digital audio, that was developed years before and used in a Sony 8mm VCR, is as mediocre as the analog Hi-Fi it also uses is excellent. It's actually recorded only as 8-bit tracks, although processed and output as a 10-bit signal. This level of digital audio just doesn't cut it for anything other than adding dubbed narration.
Old June 10th, 2004, 05:22 AM   #48

Now, when the XL2 comes out, it would be nice if thay would also have a 3D lens for it.

Mike
Mike Metken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #49
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Metken : Now, when the XL2 comes out, it would be nice if thay would also have a 3D lens for it.

Mike -->>>

Well, that would be nice, but it probably won't happen. There just isn't too much of a market for 3D-cinema...yet. I think it'll really start to kick off with those 3D LCD displays they're making, but until then, well...

But all in all, we'll just have to wait and see.
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #50
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Metken : Now, when the XL2 comes out, it would be nice if thay would also have a 3D lens for it.

Mike -->>>

Since this is an Area 51 topic, shouldn't your post maybe have said something like:

"I have heard from impeccably reliable sources that the XL2 will definitely come standard with the 3D lens..."

[grin]
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:44 PM   #51

I don't think that end of rebate has anything to do with a new model introduction date. Rebates can run past that date or stop before. There may be additional rebates abd discounts later if the old model does not sells.

The old lenses will fit and it's probably HDV. Unless there is a new lens line, I don't think that the HDV performance will be anything spectacular. HDV is HDV. But the DV performance may be.
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:50 PM   #52
Trustee

I'm cynical but I would be suprised if it was anything more than basically a DVX100a that could change lenses.

Aaron
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #53

Hey Ed,

I just noticed your post. Actually I have a friend who has seen a prototype of the more expensive Canon HD camera. Real nice. It does have 1/2" potatoes chips. A Sony killer. The lens stabilizer vibrates. The landlady next door loves that function. Says that her back hurts.

Mike
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #54

Aaron,

You forgot to mention that it has 8 channel sound. It records it on 8 track cartriges.

Mike
Old June 10th, 2004, 11:19 PM   #55
Major Player

"I don't think that end of rebate has anything to do with a new model introduction date. Rebates can run past that date or stop before. There may be additional rebates abd discounts later if the old model does not sells."

Historically Canon's rebates have ALWAYS been tied to a new model introduciton date.

They definitley will not announce the new camera before the rebate ends, and they won' t wait long after it ends.

The new camera is replacing the slot the XL1s holds currently in Canons product line. It's not an addition. Looking at the way Canon has handled releases in the past, I think the rebate is a very clear indicator of what is ahead.

-luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 04:35 AM   #56

You're probably right. Canon is supposedly low on supplies and is limiting dealer quantities. Companies are normally very happy to supply any quantity to any dealer. Some big dealers are clearing the XL1s out. I guess the logic says that the new camera will be announced in July. I guess the rumor is true. There is another rumor at the Camcorderinfo forum that the camera will have excellent 16x9 24p performance and mediocre HDV. That makes sense too.
Old June 11th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #57
Trustee

Just so you don't think you missed it... I did go around the Canon booth at InfoComm and did not see anything that would look like the new cameras.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #58
Regular Crew

Another sign that a replacement camcorder might be imminent is if the head man at the forum sells his old one???

[grin}
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 03:32 PM   #59
Regular Crew

I was at my local video store here in Tulsa and noticed the XL1s was gone I happened to ask if the guy if he had heard anything from their Canon sales rep on a new version of the XL1s. I expected him to say that he hadn't but he actually said they are supposed to announce a new model in the next 60 days, when I asked for any details he said the rep didn't give any details other than that he gave the dealer a big smile.

I was thinking of posting on this when he told me last week but I am not big on rumors but the guy who I talked too I know well and he isn't the type who just says stuff like that. I can't wait to see if he is right and hopefully it will take back the market from the Pany and give us Canon users bragging writes again.
David Walding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 03:50 PM   #60
Wrangler

It's interesting that Canon's 3 top cameras have large rebates: XL1S, GL2, and the relatively new Optura Xi.

To top it off, the Optura Xi's tech is starting to move down the line to the other consumer offerings.

See you at DV Expo East in July!
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51