XL1S discontinued?! Guess why... ;) - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old June 20th, 2004, 09:34 AM   #76
Regular Crew

10 days left!!
Mark Grgurev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:44 AM   #77
Major Player

This thread had been dead for so long, I figured no one had
anything to add. When I saw a new post, I thought, 'oh cool,
someone else with a new rumor on the features or release date.'

Instead I got the Casey Cassem Canon countdown.
:)

Why do I imagine Mark sitting at home looking at a calendar on
the wall that has each consecutive day crossed out with a
sharpie, with July 1st circled in bright red?

Oh wait, sorry, that's me that does that.

So, how about it? With 10 days left anyone heard any other news?

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #78
DVX User

10 days come and gone.. But I think we are close this time.

PS.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #79
Regular Crew

Actually, I drew a red STAR on July 1st!!!LOL :)
Old June 20th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #80
DVX User

yes... I should of said "10 days will come and go"

Its not gonna be out (read announced) July 1st, but maybe you know something I dont :)
Old June 20th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #81
Trustee

All I can ask people, is to please have some other secondary plans for 1st July, so that you don't get all depressed and leap off a bridge when it doesn't appear ;)

Aaron
Old June 20th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #82
DVX User

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : All I can ask people, is to please have some other secondary plans for 1st July, so that you don't get all depressed and leap off a bridge when it doesn't appear ;)

Aaron -->>>

If anyone does jump, I know a few dozen operators with DVX's that would love to shoot it :)
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:08 PM   #83
Trustee

Many DVX operators have told me to take a flying leap as it is, so I can't say that them lining up to video tape it surprises me.

It's funny I had the same reaction as Luis, every day I'd check to see if anyone had posted and then today I was so excited finally some news and... drat.

As far as the 1st of july thing goes I suspect it will be closer to the 13-16 of july and I'm sure SOMEONE who monitors these boards will be in attendance. I'm becoming more and more discouraged about the idea of an HDXL-1 as it seems like everytime HDV is mentioned it is discounted heavily by particular users on this forum who would probably be more in the know then the rest of us (but limited by Non discolsure agreements).

I'm wondering if there will be something new entirely or if Canon will implement the thing the varicam has so that it can be used on FCPHD. (remember way back in the day when apple and canon we're like peas and carrots, then FCP supported 24p shooting and now varicam footage, but yet panasonic is mysteriously absent from the apple store website, so who knows maybe the next step will be full on HD -over DVCPRO 50- instead of this HDV standard so readily embraced by the camera makers that don't want to lose marke share for their Big HD cameras) If you ever looked inside of a Varicam you'll notice that the tape heads are small, really small, dv camera small so who knows maybe the new canon cam will have HD over fire wire, maybe, probably not.

Either way I believe the announement will come at dv expo east (canon is a platinum sponser- awful lot of money to spend to keep promoting the older and consumer cameras.. I guess) Then the camera will be available in september, perhaps it'll blow the socks off of the upcoming sony HDV cam, or maybe it'll just blow.

I really don't feel like there is a market (or growing market) for SD anymore, but maybe if it just blows everything SD away... I probably still wouldn't buy it. So please canon don't make me a SONY man.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:36 PM   #84
Trustee

Nick, your mention of HD over firewire made my ears prick up. Now that could be something that would take a few leaps ahead of the competition. Although it'd probably take a few leaps over the limit of my wallet too...

Aaron
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:50 PM   #85
DVX User

For whats its worth, the HDV format (compression wise) is a pretty solid format, the compression is pretty free from the artifacts that you would assume come along with the Mpeg2 format. Its just sad that the first camera had to be the cheezy 1 CCD JVC hunk of junk.

Personally, I would keep my eyes and ears open when DV expo East rolls through town, it would seem to be the perfect time and place to release the camera... Although DV expo West a few months ago was somewhat of a Joke.
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Aren't there some artifacts during fast motion?
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:59 PM   #87
DVX User

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Grgurev : Aren't there some artifacts during fast motion? -->>>

Not as bad as some people made it out to be.. its just like watching a DVD, but better. HDV has between 19mbps data rates, and DVD's are usually encoded at around 7 or 8mbps. Sure, on a 100" or larger screen you can tell, but its pretty damn good. And remember the only thing people have seen is the crappy consumer JVC.. the new cameras will use the high level (or should use the high level) format of HDV that can churn out up to 100mbps but will tap out at 25mbps.. all at a wonderfull 4:2:2 colorspace.

But.. if the XL2 uses that format, expect to pay upto 10,000 for it.
Old June 20th, 2004, 11:10 PM   #88
Wrangler

Probably that's not Canon's intended market, but I'd rather see a $10,000 XL1 replacement that deprecates $50,000 cameras than a $3,000 XL2 that adds no significant value over the old camera.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:16 AM   #89
DVX User

you may of hit the nail on the head... remember canon doesnt make a "real" camera.. so They would be glad to take away some of those Sony and Panasonic and JVC $20-$60,000 big boys... and they do however make an assortment of HD zooms and primes ready for the big cameras, so it may be an IN for them, who knows.
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:56 AM   #90
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

<<<-- Originally posted by Jarred Land : ... so They would be glad to take away some of those Sony and Panasonic and JVC $20-$60,000 big boys... -->>>

Jarred,
If I am accurately interpreting your remark, nothing could be further from reality. I can virtually guarantee that Canon makes far, far more from selling lenses for "real cameras" than they do selling XL1's. The broadcast and professional optics market is a big one in which Canon enjoys the 900 lb gorilla seat. To that end, they must be somewhat careful not to encroach too deeply on the "real camera" manufacturers' ground.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51