Pd175? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Closed Thread

Old August 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Pd175?

Identical to the Z5 but DVCAM only? Could this be real or just a Photoshop mockup to show off the accessories? If it's real, why? And with a P suffix, Pacific (AUS/NZ) region only? Curious.

Sony : Image Gallery

http://www.sonybiz-images.net/downlo...=535&pic=12872

http://www.sonybiz-images.net/downlo...=535&pic=12871
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Is the "PD" designation even around any longer? I thought it had been "retired". Doesn't look like a "new" camera, and why would Sony issue a "DVCAM only" (IIRC that's an SD format?) in an HD world... Something's a bit odd with this one. Looks like could be a Z5 offhand, but I don't see Sony rebadging this peculiar way.
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Everything about this is strange. The EXIF data shows the pics were taken with a Phase One medium format back - at $25k per that's not something the typical wanna-be fake-product creator could afford. The the lack of a real model number missing in the materials... odd.

I'm thinking based on what little information is posted that this isn't about a new camera, it's about the accessories such as the wide hood up front and digi-controls on back.
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Trustee

Interesting,
Looks like the extra add ons that Sony are advertising or could there be a new DVCAM with SDHC recording comming out. It would be great to have a true SD 16:9 small form camera in the PD range.
I allways wanted a Sony PD170 with true 16:9. I still have my PD170 and dont know what to do with it, I was thinking of selling it.
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yeah, it's bizarre. Clearly it's physically a Z5, which already does DVCAM. So what are their plans? If it's real, a firmware hack to remove HDV ability and sell as a loss leader, then offer an HD "upgrade" via Firmware later?

(Note: I've been corrected on another forum: the "P" on the DSR line means generic PAL, not Pacific; it's the version sold in Hong Kong so I got confused.)
Old August 29th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #6
Wrangler

The PD-175 is Sony's replacement for the PD-170, which has been discontinued. Please continue the discussion here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-vx21...ml#post1284754
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51