Is it true XL2 chips HDV ready? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old August 21st, 2004, 10:35 AM   #16
Contributor

I'm not looking forward to HDV either. That's all we need--another format. We've already got Sony's HD and Panasonic's HD..now a "prosumer" HD designed to make DV obsolete so everybody will rush out and buy new stuff, and the ratrace starts all over again.
And, regardless of how totally transparent the format may be, the quality of the picture is still going to depend on the camera. Will Sony's HDVcam that looks like a fat PD150, with 1/3" chips be as good as a DSR570 with 2/3" chips and a real lens?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2004, 10:51 AM   #17
Major Player

I still feel it might come from Canon. Since they don't have any top of the line cameras. The XL1s was it (now XL2).

Sony and Panasonic sell cameras well over the $70,000 (HD models) price range without lens. Why would they sell a cheaper camera that does the same thing for $5,000 or even $10,000.

Unless the numbers selling the DVX200 (dream HD camera) or the new Sony HDV (needs to be 24p) adds up to more profits than selling do the big boys.

Example, at total of a 100 DVX200's and Sony HDV 24p at a $1,000 profit equals a 100 grand vs. 5 Sony HD's and 5 Varicams at $5,000 equals $50,000.

But then you have to throw in all the decks, monitors, switchers, etc. into that number and I think we still loose.

Heard another rumor in Jan at some show Canon will introduce a HDV camera. But they'd be shooting themselves in the foot four months later a newer camera comes out thats better and it's the same price or just a few grand more.
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2004, 10:52 AM   #18
Major Player

Sorry about the typos. I guess I need to wake up.

On Canon my guess it'll be three years following the same pattern that they always do about an upgrade.
Old August 21st, 2004, 11:15 AM   #19
Contributor

The $5,000 Sony HDV cam won't do the same thing as the real HD cams. It's HDV. Different format, different camera, different chips, different everything. Comparing the yet-to-be-released HDV camera to Sony's HD cameras would be like comparing a PD170 to a Digibeta camera. Totally different markets. But I'd bet there's about as much money in the consumer market as the professional--otherwise why would they do it? Maybe even more money in consumer stuff.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2004, 12:13 PM   #20
Major Player

I know comparing a HDV to an HD camera is not the same thing.

But what I was saying is for example why would Panasonic make the new DVX200 with interchangeable lens, etc which is what everyone wants.

Because if you could get it say for 10 grand, its HDV (or even I think somone said could it be DVC50HD, not sure if that's the right format name), 16x9, interchangeable, records to a hard drive or something other than DV tape. Then would people buy the SDX 900 for 26 grand when its standard depth? If its a better camera, yes but if the cheaper one is better, no.

As the market goes. I've been a producer for hire on four features.

For myself. I'm tired of chasing money to make my own films or having deals fall apart because of egos because the first time writer who wants to produce his script can't seem to get it through his head that you tell him his script needs to be rewritten to fix up all the lose ends they get insulted (this has happen twice this year on two projects).

Then when they send the script out to an actors agent (an actor they know) they can't understand why it was rejected. You try and tell them story is number one. You can make a bad movie from a great script but you can't make a great movie from a bad or even weak script.

But these guys always seem to come up with the money. Sometimes I'd wish they mentor me on that end of it. How they can do it with no credits, etc., oh well. If I knew their secret on that I'd pay them to learn it.

Maybe what I wrote above and next sounds like sour grapes yes in a way maybe it is or I just keep having bad luck. But often I don't get the credit I should get. Editing two of the four films, one uncredited,

Two of the directors I've worked for have done second films I didn't get hired they thought they could do it on their own. The company who put the money wonders what happen was it a second film jinx.

When I show my work they always reply nice work you do great stuff, including the four music videos I've directed. But in the long run on the features end its always the feeling line producers are a dime a dozen or they read my script and they love it and they come back and say well when you raise the money I'll produce it for you. It drives me crazy.

So after that little bit of crying about my troubles.

I'm looking for something that I can afford and go out and make my own films. I know how to make it look like it cost more than it does.

I just bought the DVX100A. Had a shoot coming and couldn't wait for the Canon. By the end of the year the DVX will pay for itself on some small shoots. So if something comes next early next year I could get something new.

I'd just want to get the most for my money I can. I know I can shoot 35 like before. But the odds of it going to the big screen or small. So I'd rather spend the money on actors who will sell the film. So that after each film I can keep moving up the steps to the big studio deal. Which almost happen but just another case of bad luck for me.

Sorry about the crying.
Old September 14th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #21
Regular Crew

So what color space does HDV work in? I was on the phone with one of the guys at ZOTZ (one of our sponsors) and he was telling me that they have a device for capturing DV via SDI which ups it into a 4:2:2 color space. Who needs HDV?
Evan Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:08 PM   #22
Major Player

Gee I forgot about this thread. I was hoping it'd die.

But would it go out through... I must be getting old. Is that through the sdk or what is the gizmo that you can hook up so you can match two or more xl's and even share settings.

Is that how it goes out?
Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:55 PM   #23
Trustee

Gary, I am building the perfect camera for you 1080P 24fps and no compression at all 4:4:4 it will be amazing..drop me a mail if you want to stay informed

oolsen1@ec.rr.com
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:30 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I have uprezzed ftg from a DVX100A to HD Cam and honestly, it looks great. Obviously if we inspect it under a microscope, the imperfections are there but to the average viewers' eyes, no problem. Especially by the time it has been recompressed for broadcast.
Old October 24th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #25
Major Player

Evan,

Speaking of imperfections, might I suggest that you read the technology article on the bottom of the BBC NEWS site, for this date: Sunday, 24 October, 2K4.

A most interesting use of a computer to enhanse the Star Wars movies released lately, by removing artifacts, and, sharpening it up better than the original.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51