Citizen Kane remake to be directed by Tarantino at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old September 14th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Citizen Kane remake to be directed by Tarantino

==Variety Magazine== 9-15-04

After much speculation Quentin Tarantino has agreed to direct a new ultra violent remake of Orson Welles' 1941 Classic "Citizen Kane".

This bold new move has come under much criticism from the Hollywood Foreign Press, but Tarantino believes he can produce "A F***ing great movie!"

Shooting is set to begin Feb 29 2004. With Uma Thurman playing Jedadiah Leland (now Jessica Leland).

===
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Why !?! So he can take the #1-rated movie of all time and put his name on it ? "Kill Bill" was great for a bloody Kung Fu movie,
but really, it wasn't that great either. I think Quentin chickened
out by using beautiful females as villains. Even if Quentin is trying something new, truly evil yet beautiful females are still presumed innocent no matter the crime. They are "the protected." Of course, Uma's character would never had been so bloody if she and her family hadn't been killed so brutally. Same deal for Lucy Lu's character. So, even Quentin is propagating the stereotype that beautiful females are incapable of evil unless their entire family is wiped. At least his earlier movies were violence as a fact in life.

I never thought "Citizen Kane" was a great movie. I fell asleep the first time I watched it. The second time, I thought it was just "OK." Was it was a great movie for its time due to the movie production methods ? I just don't see what's the big deal .
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #3
Skyonic New York

Citizen Kane is one movie that should not be remade...i think that he should remake the last matrix movies or the latest starwars movies...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 06:08 PM   #4
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Mann Z. : Citizen Kane is one movie that should not be remade...i think that he should remake the last matrix movies or the latest starwars movies... -->>>

HAHA! Excellent Robert, I agree. Star Wars or the Matrix require remakes - Never mind about Star Wars though, I'm sure it will get many "remakes" by the man himself over the years...
Old September 15th, 2004, 06:34 PM   #5
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Gints Klimanis : I never thought "Citizen Kane" was a great movie. I fell asleep the first time I watched it -->>>

Uh, yeah... what a lousy movie. It wasn't even in color. And they never showed that reporter-dude's face. But the end was kinda cool when they burned everything. Fire! Fire! Yeah!.. Heh-heh...

Sorry, couldn't resist ;-) If you didn't appreciate Citizen Kane then I won't attempt to change your mind. Give it a couple years and try watching it a third time. Maybe you'll upgrade it to "good."
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 12:47 AM   #6

Kill Bill 1 was cool but 2 was a heap. Character inconsistencies abounds and lame scenes and ideas in number 2.

Really, until Kill Bill, Taranteno was kind of a 1 trick pony. Movies with ultra violence and a mish-mash of street smart & sophisticated characters / hints of 70's comic book wierdness / stints of dialogue that makes everyone think it "sounds so lifelike." Dudes, go out and walk into the trashiest bar in your neighborhood and you're likely to find some similarities.

Not saying his movies aren't enjoyable, just saying 1 trick. Then Kill Bill changed to some extent with a new twist, then Kill Bill 2 fell into the toilet and swam around with stinky turds.

Kane believer or no, it's considered by many a classic, and like the remakes of Psycho and/or other classsics it's just a stunt that ensures some kind of sales due to the gaul it takes to remake it. If the rumor is true, good old Quentin has finally fallen 100% into has-been category.

Lame.
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 05:47 AM   #7
Major Player

Commercial dung by greedy, brain-dead individuals. Won't get my ten bucks at the box office.

P.S. I am getting sick and tired of violence being peddled by the media for the sake of making a buck. Haven't we seen enough violence already between 9/11, Iraq, Africa and even the six o'clock news? How much more do you need?
Nick Kerpchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2004, 08:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Screw the dialouge...let's blow something up!!!

:) RB
Old September 20th, 2004, 12:03 AM   #9
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Nick Kerpchar : Commercial dung by greedy, brain-dead individuals. Won't get my ten bucks at the box office.
-->>>

Don't hold back, say what you really mean! :)
Old September 21st, 2004, 07:29 AM   #10
Major Player

<<Don't hold back, say what you really mean! :)>>

Naw, it would only open up a flame war between pro
and anti violence factions. :(

On the other hand, as long as the topic of remakes is being discussed, how about a remake of the Sound of Music with Ben Stiller playing the part of Maria (would have suggested Robin Williams but he's getting a bit old for the roll ... Stiller may be pushing it as well)?
Old September 23rd, 2004, 02:30 AM   #11

Stiller? Williams? No sir . . .

Lloyd. Christopher Lloyd all the way. Complete with "Doc" uniform and characteristics. Now that's the sound of music.

One time I made a pact with a friend of mine that if Batman Returns came out and Bruce Willis showed up as Batgirl, we'd have to see the movie 200 times in a row at the theater.

It scared me for a bit because I heard he was slated to play a shape-shifting villian, and the batgirl character was slated to appear in the same film, so the possibility actually arose that for a second while morphing, some footage of a Bruce-Batgirl was possible.

Guess I snaked out of that one.
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:09 AM   #12
Major Player

Laurence,
You have to be careful what you wish for, it may come true.

Christopher Lloyd as Maria in a Sound of Music remake. Hummm, I'll have to think about that one. I would have suggested Woopie Goldberg but it would have been predictable Woopie adnauseam. Kurt Russel would have been another possibility but I don't know if he could sing. He is also getting long of tooth.

Gee, there just doesn't seem to be any solid new talent out there. The new crop appears to have come from a cookie-cutter factory and one looks, sounds and acts like the other. No Brandos, no Stewarts, no Taylors (Elizabeth but Robert wasn't all bad), no Gene Kelleys, no Doris Days, not even a Clint Eastwood. Man, this is getting depressing.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 11:28 AM   #13
Wrangler

I'm the next Clint Eastwood. I just need a bigger gun.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 09:07 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Kudos to Tarantino. He is the only film maker I know of who 1. has the balls to do a remake of this movie and 2. has the kind of creative insight to make it something special. His passion for movies and learning from movies made in the past make him the perfect person for this. Besides if you want to be successful and make your mark, you have to take chances.
Old September 24th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #15
Trustee

Am I the only one that thinks the starter of this thread was just cracking a joke?
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51