New Premiere Pro version? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

New version?

We're about due for a Premiere Pro update. Any word on when? I'm an experienced Premiere 6.0 user and want to begin HD production. Also wondering if Vegas is easy for Premiere users to pick up. Thanks.
Ken Schreiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:45 AM   #2
Wrangler

I have absolutely NO "inside" knowledge at all; just an end user. My memory may be failing a bit, but I tink that PPro 1.5 just came out this spring (2004) and there's been rumor/talk of a free HDV add-on in the near future. So I'd be a little surprised if a new version was imminent. But ya never know!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:14 PM   #3
Major Player

I spent about an hour on Vegas the other day (I've been using Premiere since around version 5.0) and I just couldn't get my head around the interface and the way of editing.

I found Avid easier to pick up.

Best stick with Premiere Pro. None of that silly weird Vegas stuff :D
Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input. I've read a lot about what's out there. Everything's got goods and bads. Premiere is a lot like Avid which was the first NLE I worked with in the TV biz. I'm probably sticking with PP, especially for the color correction and Photoshop interfacing.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:11 PM   #5
Trustee

The HDV plugin was promised for this year. They need to hurry.

I don't expect a new version of Premiere Pro in the next 6 months. They have to coordinate with the other three applications in the collection. And people complained that eight months between releases was too short. They didn't want to pay.

But Adobe never announces until the master CD is on it's way to the duplication house.
Steven Gotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Valuable info, Steven. I plan on upgrading my whole computer system in January. I've gotten some great ideas from DV Info Net and the manufacturers' websites. I'm happy with the Adobe family of products so I'll probably stick with them. Sounds like 3.0 ghz Pentiums with 1 gb RAM are what's working. Do you really not need a capture card with Premiere or did I hallucinate that?
Old December 3rd, 2004, 11:08 PM   #7
Trustee

I stopped using a capture card when I started using Premiere Pro. Now I use just a 1394 firewire card.

One of these days I really need to get around to selling my DVStorm2 I guess. Unless they make it useful for the new Sony HDR-FX1 I am planning on ordering this weekend.
Old December 4th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #8
Wrangler

Same as Steven. I used a DVRaptor card until PPro, and decided against dropping the $$ on another card at the time. The Canopus codec always gets rave reviews, but I've been perfectly happy using firewire through the motherboard's onboard 1394 port. Maybe if I did multiple generations of rendering, it would matter a little more, but typically using 1 or 2 renders to reach final product, I don't notice a difference.

As far as PPro goes, for Adobe users I think it is a great upgrade. I see posts where people complain about PPro being slow, or this or that, but I LOVE PPro 1.5, along with the rest of the Video Collection Pro package. Virtually any irritations I had from previous versions of PPro seem to be gone. My video editing system has an Intel 875 chipset, 3.0GHz P4, 2GB DDR (and 1GB would be fine unless you're using multiple apps simultaneously, or heavy-duty AE stuff) and multiple hard disks ... while there's no such thing as a "too fast" computer, PPro on this computer does the job nicely for me.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 04:49 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info! I'll be interested in hearing how the new HDV camera works. I've never had a Premiere speed problem. I'll probably stick with PP because I'm old and I don't have a lot of time to learn new stuff. :-|>
Old December 4th, 2004, 05:06 PM   #10
Trustee

Well, I am over 50, and keeping up with the young-uns is tough, but worth it, I think.

When I recorded the Premiere Pro 1.5 tutorials at http://www.lynda.com, I was surrounded by much younger people. But being up-to-date on a product, maybe even a little ahead of the curve, gave us some interesting common ground.

Of course, the funny part is that they edited my tutorials on Premiere Pro using a Mac, and Final Cu Pro!

Once I get the camcorder I will start posting more about it on my site. Check out http://www.stevengotz.com/premiere and watch for the newest info after we get back from shooting vacation footage in Hawaii this Christmas. In the meantime, I think you will find plenty to look at now.
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Adobe is currently betaing the HD plug in for PPRo.

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/forum/in...ndpost&p=84495
Steve Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51