DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   Any rumors on next release of AG-DVX100A? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/38307-any-rumors-next-release-ag-dvx100a.html)

Markus Klatt January 25th, 2005 10:16 AM

Any rumors on next release of AG-DVX100A?

Hi,

since the Canon GL2 and the Sony VX2100 both failed to fulfill my special needs for my special interest filming of fireworks displays I now aim my focus at the AG-DVX100A.

It seems that that cam has some important advantages against the GL2 and VX2100 - but - as always the descriptions and tests I've read let me worry that the Pana cam is in detail still not perfect for fireworks.

So, all my hope goes to the next version of the AG-DVX100A - are there any rumors out there, when a further improved version of this nice machine could be available? Any announcements?

Thanks,
Markus

Richard Alvarez January 25th, 2005 10:36 AM

Markus,

I own an XL2, and recently had the opportunity to shoot a fireworks display.

Frankly, I was astonished at the quality of the images. I don't have a site where I can post them, or I would. I strongly suggest you try renting one, and shooting some footage for yourself.

Markus Klatt January 25th, 2005 12:29 PM

Yes, I am/I was interested in the XL2 too, but since some problems with the GL2 which I expect to be in the XL2 too and especially because of its size I now focus on the Pana cam.

But you are right - before buying one of these cams I will rent them.

I will contact you, where you can place a short clip of the XL2 ;)

Thanks for your answer
Markus

Bob Zimmerman January 25th, 2005 02:50 PM

I hear they are coming out with something. A lighter version. I hope with native 16:9.

Markus Klatt January 25th, 2005 02:56 PM

What exactly could "lighter" mean, please? I cheaper version, which is similar, but not with all that professional functions?

But sounds interesting - any new version could be better (e.g. with less background noise with or without db enhancement). Thanks for the info!

Markus Klatt January 25th, 2005 02:59 PM

Oh, I am so sorry - now, that my thread was moved to "Area 51" (I didn' know that forum before) I found that thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=34892

Sorry for double posting!

Boyd Ostroff January 25th, 2005 03:48 PM

It's no problem Markus, not really a double posting since you raise some additional issues. I moved your thread to "Area 51" because it was created so we could discuss rumors of new products. We try to limit the "normal" forums to discussion of actual products (which is why we're called DVinfo.net instead of DVrumor.net ;-)

Bob Zimmerman January 25th, 2005 05:02 PM

I was told that the lead is getting taken out of the DVX. Some envorimental thing. Maybe they will call it the DVX100a "lite". I hope they go ahead at put real 16:9 on it..

Neil Carlberg May 8th, 2005 09:28 AM

Fireworks Settings

What setting do you use to shoot fireworks? I've used SPOTLIGHT. Do you have any better suggestions?

Neil

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
Markus,

I own an XL2, and recently had the opportunity to shoot a fireworks display.

Frankly, I was astonished at the quality of the images. I don't have a site where I can post them, or I would. I strongly suggest you try renting one, and shooting some footage for yourself.

Markus Klatt May 8th, 2005 09:43 AM

Hi,

I know you asked Richard, but I would like to advise that any fireworks display should not be filmed with any automatic program, even if it is called "night / fireworks". I had no success with any 3CCD camera whenever using such a program. They all open the lense much to much, they increase the gain much to much, even when there is the possibility to limit as on VX2100.

Fireworks have two very opposite points. The low light golden effects - here it is in most times needed to open the exposure to f-open or f1.6, and if (!) it is a really thin charcoal gold then you may rise gain to +3 or +6db.
On the opposite most of the stars/effects of fireworks contain bright burning metal powders such as magnesium, magnalium, aluminum, titan. The stars are so bright that is better to close the exposure up to f2.2 - f3.4 depending on the camera (my Canon XM2 is best at 2.2-2.4, the same on VX2100 is 2.8-3.4).

And, moreover, there are the cool colors without metal such as blue or violet. Here is best setting somewhere between.

So, when filming fireworks with automatic - even when you can limit so you always have 0/+3db gain only and even if you could range the exposure to say f-open to max f2.8 (is there a camera where you can set this?!) - then I promise the camera will almost always be at f-open with 3db. And that is wrong for most effects so you get washed out colors, digital smear - pfuuuhhh.

Only way for fireworks - IMHO - cut db to 0 or maximum 3db and change exposure manually as fast and soft as you can for each effect during the display. Maybe not for each effect but for each sequence a pyrotechnician shoots (gold low loight sequence, blue mid light sequence, green/white/red bright sequence...).

Markus (Pyro)