G5 Powerbook? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old February 1st, 2005, 05:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

G5 Powerbook ???????????

I work in the broadcast industry and spoke to a soundo today who saw a G5 powerbook. He says his mate works for Apple here in Australia and is trialling one as they are in other places. I want to buy a powerbook to edit in the field and feed using Video phones etc. Don't you love Technology.
George

-------------

moderator note: this has been moved to the "Area 51" forum which was created to discuss rumors like this. The regular forums are reserved for the discussion of actual announced products
George Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 06:46 AM   #2
Major Player

G5 powerbooks are about 6 mos away, especially in view of the new G4 powerbook releases yesterday. I think your friend is misinformed or pulling your leg.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:02 PM   #3
Wrangler

I wouldn't hold my breath for the G5 powerbook. And I hope Apple doesn't come up with something impractical just to get one out the door in a hurry either:

http://news.com.com/Apple+on+G5+Powe...tml?tag=st.num
http://www.macobserver.com/article/2005/02/02.10.shtml
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 03:53 PM   #4
Tourist

Don't you think something like a PowerBook G5 would be under tight wraps (around people with tight lips) in Cupertino, not Australia?
Alex MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

There are at least two better options than a G5 in a laptop - the G5 chip requires high power and dissipates large quantities of heat.

1) G4 Dual core - already available product; only minor design changes needed to implement.

2) Cell processor-based - better power usage, more powerful architecture. Highly likely to be in Apple's roadmap already.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:34 PM   #6
Major Player

Hrmm...

I was under the impression that apple had no plans at all for a G5 Powerbook.

Personally I would love to see one or anything one step beyond the current G4 I guess. It seems everyone is headed dualcore these days. I'm even holding off building my new desperately needed editing computer for hopes that in 6 months dual core will not only be available, but at a decent price as well.

I also had no idea IBM made apple's chips....
Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:28 PM   #7
Major Player

If it's not even on the market now, in six months it wont be affordable yet. Just look at the Opteron and Itanium processors, ain't gettin' any cheaper really. And cell processors are at least a few years away for computer use.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51