Macrumors posting of Apple announcements @ NAB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old April 1st, 2005, 05:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Macrumors posting of Apple announcements @ NAB

Macrumors is posting the possiblity of Apple announcing 3GHz powermacs w/blu-ray , 32gigs of ram + HD powerbooks at NAB
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:48 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Macrumors posting of Apple announcements @ NAB

<<<-- Originally posted by Kurth Bousman : Macrumors is posting the possiblity of Apple announcing 3GHz powermacs w/blu-ray -->>>

Since I just bought a dual 2.5ghz G5, I think that pretty much guarantees that Apple will introduce the dual 3ghz machine and that it will cost the same... ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 06:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Boyd are you saying your just like me.

I buy something and a week later the bigger model comes out for the same price.

I wonder what the rumored quad is going to cost?
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 06:23 PM   #4
Wrangler

Such is our lot in life :-) But I need to gear up for some big projects, and I'm glad I've made the switch to the new machine now so I can start getting down to work with a bunch of new software. I really couldn't wait the extra month for NAB, then wait for whatever they show to actually ship, then deal with all the bug fixes. As our Kennelmaster Chris likes to say, buy what you need now.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 07:37 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Now is always the best time to buy.

I should trademark that statement.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Chris - that's my philosophy also but ... that's why I'm always broke !
Boyd - I have no sympathy - I do , on the other hand , have a dose of jealousy. I'm more intereted in the HD powerbooks since I can carry those across borders with ease. Maybe I'll get a g5 PM as g6s' are being introduced so I can get that 3.5ghz for 1200 bills and not pay alot of tax to get it in- and did you see 36g's of ram ! They've got some new reason for needing that kind of ram. Maybe it's because of the scientific community and not us lowly imagemakers that's in that kind of ram-need or maybe.....Jobs did say it's the year of hd. Maybe fcp5 has some new uprezzing feature that changes vhs to hd that's better than varicam footage. It's on the horizon. K
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 01:58 PM   #7
Major Player

re: "36G of RAM"

Look at the advances Apple is making with OpenGL and CoreVideo and combine that with the new OS, new G5's, rumored Quad processor machines or Dual core Processors and cluster configurations and you have the makings of a real contender to some of the entry level IRIX based SGI machines. That's where massive RAM comes in. Industrial applications, Servers, and visualization workstations. Some of these configurations currently hold hundreds of Gigabytes of RAM and a few dozen processors! But take out a second and third mortgage because they don't come anywhere near cheap!
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51