Something's afoot at Dolby at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:39 AM   #1
Go Go Godzilla

Something's afoot at Dolby

In the past month Dolby has scooped up several key people that I know from various places such as Avid, Adobe, Intel and even Boeing. I've no idea what's in the fire but I can't remember any company in recent history going after so much high-end talent from such varied sources in such a short period of time.

I've never followed Dolby nor know anyone there - (well, actually I know several now!) but it's clear they're either gearing up for something big or, they've just accomplished a major housecleaning. Either way it's interesting to witness this kind of activity.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Maybe they're gearing up for the battle of the century - Digital Home Theatre 3D
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Trustee

Maybe they've discovered how to reduce hiss in cassette tapes.
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Trustee

Dolby huh? You don't say... could be that they're developing a new weapon that uses nothing but pure science to blind the enemy.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

Or maybe they've finally figured out how to fix that annoying doppler-pitch change when something approaches then passes you. You know, maybe a cochlear implant or bionic ear thingy.

No wait, I totally got it: They're designing a "whining woman" filter! I'd pay money for that!
Old April 19th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #6
Equal Opportunity Offender

Maybe having top notch staffers is cheaper than hiring consultants to work on the ability of a new 3D sound system being being integrated in to the current set of leading post-production tools?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
Maybe they've discovered how to reduce hiss in cassette tapes.
lmao! my first car was an '84 Mazda RX-7, 5 speed with a turbo II engine swap. it had a dolby cassette deck and a 10 band equalizer. i had a ton of cassettes that i could not find on CD. after i replaced the speakers and cleaned the heads, i realized playing with the equalizer did a MUCH better job of cleaning up the hiss compared to the dolby whatever-button.

i have a lot of home theatre equipment, and i cannot tell a difference between DTS or Dolby Digital or 44.1 or 96k or what have you.

its probably a new proprietary standard with no perceptible change in audible performance, just like 90% of their licensed technologies already.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Equal Opportunity Offender

From vague memory I think the Dolby noise reduction technology boosted the higher pitched tones at the time of recording to tape. Upon playback they were suppressed, thus also suppressing the hiss that you would normally hear from the tape ... effectively getting a better signal to noise ratio out of the medium.

Apart from compression technologies, it beats me what they are doing these days. (Disclaimer: I haven't looked at their web site recently.)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51