How would you bring FCP into the 21st century? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Closed Thread

Old April 10th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #16
Major Player

I like Final Cut Pro as it is. Rock solid program that never crashes on me.

Give it an update to 64-bit and update the UI (to match other Apple Pro apps) and voila... ready for the next decade.

Never change a winning team.
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #17
Trustee

Id like to see the ability to drop in a dissolve and have it ripple back like was mentioned earlier but make it a preference. also it NEEDS a real BR authoring app. and the ability to handle AVCHD native without conversion. add those 2 things to FCP and BR support to DVDSP (never going to happen) and your done as far as im concerned.
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #18
Major Player

Did Apple show anything at NAB? Where they present?
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #19
Trustee

Apple hasn't been 'present' for a couple years now.

-Ethan Cooper
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #20
Major Player

I already thought so.

Still... Media Composer 5, Adobe Creative Suite 5... I hoped Apple would just release a 64-bit Final Cut Studio update around NAB, like they did for Aperture and Logic already. Wishful thinking.
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I agree with the Scratch Drive Locations: set them with the project and have them reset whenever the project is loaded. Errors in this area are the biggest time waster in the entire app!

Years ago I visited Cupertino and spoke to an FCP engineer (least he said he was one ... could have been an actor I suppose! ;-)) ) who agreed with this wholeheartedly... never happened though.

And of course real time editing of AVCHD without conversion ... in my environment the disk space savings would be awesome! Sure, Effects can render/convert their hearts out, but getting the basic cut done from the raw card data would be great.

There's a bunch of stuff that I'd like changed in the way FCP sends audio to SoundTrack Pro, but these two features would make me very happy!

Lee
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #22
Slash Rules!

I wanna add more:

I should be able to open something in the viewer, say, a clip, and choose any combination of a1, a2 , or video, and drag ONLY those to the timeline, instead of having to route things, or lock tracks to keep from taking both video and audio to the timeline if I don't want to.

I would also like to be able to pick, when copying and pasting in the timeline WHICH track I'm copying and pasting to, without using the weird auto select switches which I don't really understand anyway. Why can't I just click in an empty space on my destination track, paste, and have it show up there?

And if copying using alt/drag in the timeline does it always copy with the "ripple" command, where, to insert the new clip, it wants to push everything else down the timeline? Cause that's annoying. Means I can't use it most of the time unless I want to mess up everything I've done.

PS these are all things Vegas does already.
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

I may be echoing here, but background rendering and capturing are musts for me. 64-bit support (although I saw speed increases with FCP 7 and Snow Leopard) and make some of those old, tired bugs go away.

Also, if it weren't for Loader, bringing in music would still be a pain. Remember when FCP used to be able to take a song from a CD or jump drive, convert it to AIFF and put the file in a folder and drive of your choosing? I hated when they said use iTunes to convert and then drag the song over to FCP.

I'll think of some other stuff. Otherwise, I love FCP!

heath
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #24
Major Player

The latest rumor:
AppleInsider | Apple scaling Final Cut Studio apps to fit prosumers

With a reply from Steve Jobs:
Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter

If Apple would only tell us what they were doing... all these rumors. I am considering switching to another NLE if this trend to continues, just because I believe that secrecy and professional software don't go well together. As a working professional who earns money with Apple's software, you want to know where a company is heading as it involves huge investments in hardware and software. Avid and Adobe do this very well, but Apple thinks they need their iSecrecy, which they use to hype consumer products, for their professional division as well.

I don't like this attitude at all.

I don't believe that Apple will abandon us (and doing what the above rumor states also means killing Motion, DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack Pro and most importantly, Color, as prosumers don't need that). If you look at Aperture 3, you will see that it took some nice social features from iPhoto but remains a separate Pro app. I think the same will happen to Final Cut Studio (at least I hope).

I have always been a great Apple fan but Mr. Jobs and his company are annoying me lately with their secrecy, controlled leaks and attitudes towards customers. Come on Steve, I know you can do better than this.
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #25
MPS Digital Studios

Oh thank god!

heath
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #26
Slash Rules!

And some way to keep random video and audio clips in sync with each other regardless or rippling/inserting/whatever. (Think linking, but with no limit on the number of of video/audio clips that can be linked)

I'm working on an animated piece right, and I keep syncing my audio up, and then making a minor change somewhere, and then finding out later that some of my stuff is now off by a few frames. I can't just lock the tracks 'cause then I couldn't make those minor changes.
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #27
MPS Digital Studios

Josh,

Hit the "B" button twice to get a "double" razor blade. Now you can cut both the video and audio that aren't of the same origin.

Heath
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #28
Slash Rules!

I use the "super razor" all the time. . .but don't see how it keeps things from going out of sync?
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #29
MPS Digital Studios

Highlight both clips and use Ripple delete to keep in sync.

heath
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #30
Slash Rules!

Doesn't deleting using "delete" (as opposed to backspace) automatically ripple delete anyway?

My problem is sometimes I'll make a change in the middle of the timeline, and need 20 tracks of audio with countless clips to all move together.

Don't misunderstand, I know it's an error on my part when I'm tweaking, but it seems like it should be easier to keep everything locked together.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51