Sony/ Panasonic...new cams coming? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony/ Panasonic...new cams coming?

Sony and Panasonic have several rebates running now. rebates usually mean something new is coming...anybody heard anything on a new and improved ex1 or ex3?
same question for the FS100...I know it's barely a year old...but maybe they are planning a Fs100 that includes an extra card slot, ND filter, and maybe just maybe an SDI output?

one can only hope....maybe something at NAB?
Steve Minnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony/ Panasonic...new cams coming?

You could be right about the rebates. If Panasonic brings out anything new, I would expect to see replacements for the AG-HMC40 and the HMC-80. Both cameras are good, but it seems to me the HMC-80 wasn't a particularly big seller, and the HMC-40 was fairly quickly eclipsed by the Canon XA10 and the new Sony NX70.

The idea of Sony bringing out something new has me scratching my head, because I can't think of what they might bring out save for a replacement or upgrade of the NX-5U and/or the AX2000.
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sony is a tough one to figure out...although a slightly bigger brother to the FS100 would be nice....maybe something to improve on the lame shoulder mount attempt that was the EX3. I'd love to see an EX1 or EX3 with a form factor of a JVC shoulder mount ENG type camera.....with a good solid lens.

The NX5 is probably going to be replaced...it's been out for 2 years I believe and is "out of stock" or back ordered at most retailers right now. Something is coming.

Same could be said for the Panny AF100...rebate on the as well....this camera has a lot going for it but I don't think it has owned the market like the DVX100 did "back in the day" Maybe a less brick like look will help this camera become more widely accepted/ adopted.

just some thoughts
Steve Minnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

My observation is that Sony rebates are not necessarily indicative of replacement. They are a useful marketing tool to manage a product in the market against competitive products and/or times of year according to buying patterns. Some cameras stay in the market for many years occupying a place in a market segment that may not be growing (GL2, PD170 ...) or where they hold market share.

At the moment, DSLR focussed Canon has abandoned the $3k-$5K 3-ring, 3mos, handycam market to Sony, Panasonic and JVC. It's hard to tell if there's enough growth in that market to justify new Sony product as there's a lot of price pressure from the under $3k segment where the cameras are delivering comparatively good IQ in the same AVCHD Codec. Two pressures at work that I see are the new line from Panasonic to put the pressure on and the tough time Sony is kinda canceling that out. IMHO
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #5
Space Hipster

Supposedly there might be a new NEX video cam coming out in March, or just before NAB. But they don't have any firm details, just a rumor for now.

Sony is supposed to make an announcement on March 13, but that could be for the new A57 DSLR camera.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

I wonder if Sony will go the route of JVC and release a 4K camera priced around $5000 or so?

Heath
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
I wonder if Sony will go the route of JVC and release a 4K camera priced around $5000 or so?

Heath
Here's hoping!

Heath, if you manage to get hold of a GY-HMQ10, please let me know. I'll drive down to S. Fla. to see it.
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

You got it. But I'm still curious what Sony has up their sleeves.
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #9
Trustee

me too, would love to see EX5, or smthing:)
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #10
Major Player

I'm hoping to see the guts of the F3 in a more ergonomic (compact shoulder mount) body. XDCAM HD 50Mbps as standard and a 10 bit on board recording option would be ideal as well as a proper EVF. 1080p60 or more would be a good addition too.

4K is of no interest to me at the moment.
Old March 24th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #11
Major Player

I heard a EX3 with a codec to match the Canon XF series .....50mb, 422,etc.....that is what started the fight with Canon 2 years ago at NAB......Sony was quite upset at Canon offering a broadcast codec at the $7500 price level and abruptly ended their relationship with Canon (they actually removed all the Canon lenses on their cameras in their booth and returned them to Canon's)

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #12
Space Hipster

Newest rumor I've heard for NAB - a Sony FS700!
Same body as the 100, but with integrated ND filters, SDI and 4K!
Yeah, I had to check to make sure it isn't April 1. It's just a rumor so far. But would Sony give 4K to a camera below the F3?
Old March 29th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
Sony was quite upset at Canon offering a broadcast codec at the $7500 price level
Eye for an eye... Canon was quite upset at Sony for copying the XL-series body "swoop" on the EX3 a couple of years ago.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #14
Inner Circle

From what I understand (no that's not right .. hear) locally .. that's the tip of the video iceberg.

Cheers.
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Nothing for Sony to upset... They have all the technology for the camera. They choose what to put in the camera and set the price. Who set it wrong, who lose...

If Sony make a buildin 50mbit 422 broadcast codec camera in fs100 at $5k.... Then canon will be upset...

Canon can put 36mpixel and clean hdmi on 5D mk3 but they don't and D800 did it. Some people switch to Nikon, then canon upset? It's just a matter of what choice they choose.
Thomas Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51