The videographers sense for beer - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old December 23rd, 2005, 05:07 PM   #31
Inner Circle

As far as Jalepenos and other hot peppers? They are great going in, but too painful going out. Had to cut way down or mix them with something.
Tobasco has been a part of my cooking and eating since my Army days. The old C rations were almost unbearable without it.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 02:19 AM   #32
Regular Crew

oh yeah I love to edit after kickin back a few brews..... lately it's been Honey Brown....... but as a college student usually it's Bud Light... TILT is also AWESOME to get you going.
Old December 25th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kennedy
I'm thinking the alcohol of choice can be one of the best crew audition questions. Personally, when I hear my DP *only* drinks some sharp, bitter dark beer with a mile long name, I know that I'm in for an argument down the road about the purity of the angles. I want to know that you'll crack a warm bud can after (or shortly before) we wrap, simply because it's what we have left in the trunk and because it gets the job done.

But, if someone's doing the preparty shopping:

Duvels, Trader Joes Vintage Ale (no kidding), MGD in the biggest bottle you can find, Sam Adams Octoberfest (unfortunately available only a month a year), most any Heffeweisner, and Murphys Irish (especially with a shot from any of the options in the line below)

Glenmoraigne, Balvenie Doublewood, Crown Royal Special Reserve

Level1 and Mr. and Mrs. T's Spicy Blood Mary

Oh and hoorah to all who lauded the fine benefits of hot wings. Throw on a black and tan, a pile of napkins, and an attentive bartendress and you have all the meal I need.
I like the way you think!

Trader Joes beer is not to be underestimated. They have a winter double bock that is unbelievable. And their "reserve" scotches are not bad either.

I think my current favorite pre/post shoot beer would have to be James Squire Porter. Those Aussies don't mess around. Though if it's been a rough day, I'll crack a bottle of Old Resputin Imperial Stout. Drinking that stuff is like having the man himself jump out of the bottle and slap you with his beard. Never say die!
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #34
MPS Digital Studios

I've tried writing while drinking beer and after 3 or 4 (I'm a lightweight, ask Chris Hurd after two Shiner Bocks in Dallas--I was a bit funny), I can't write as well. But I'd like to try shooting and drinking Shiners.

I do notice my tendency to drink water increases tenfold on shoots. No idea why, but I chug a lot of water on any film shoot I'm on. And eating chips and salsa. I ruin the craft services budget every time! The crew makes fun of me.

heath
Old January 10th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Just a wee bit of trivia ....

As of this writing DV info has over 381 topics / threads that has the word "beer" mentioned in it at least once.

Guess I wouldn't need to use a life line if the million dollar question was, "What is a Videographers beverage of choice" ?

Just think how many 6 packs you could get for a million $$$ ...
Old January 10th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #36
Inner Circle

There seems to be an unusual affinity for Shiner Bock as well. I'll have to look for that at the beverage center.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Beals

Just think how many 6 packs you could get for a million $$$ ...

Does that include Deposit?
Old January 10th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #38
MPS Digital Studios

Because of so many people working behind the scenes, like Chris, live in Texas, esp. near Dallas, Shiner Bock is huge. It's a beer brewed out there and when I was in Dallas in November, I sampled two (huge) glasses and it's awesome. Fortunately, my local grocery store carries it out here in Palm Beach County, Florida, so I pick up a 6 pack along with my Miller Lite. My buddies love it, but the fiancee doesn't. She likes the foo-foo drinks.

heath
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #39
Trustee

3 quick things...

1). Guinness only comes in 4-packs around here.

2). There is no deposit in Ohio.

3). Damn. I'm out of Guinness!

Ahhhhhh! I'm also out of Baileys! Oh what a long night this is going to be...

Mark Twain once said he drank Whiskey as a preventative for toothache.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #40
MPS Digital Studios

heh heh heh. What do you mean by no deposit?

heath
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #41
Trustee

Some states have a can and bottle "deposit" where you return the can or bottle and get 5 - 10 cents per. Naturally you have paid that nickle or dime up front so it is a container deposit if you like.

We don't have that in central Ohio. Maybe Toledo. They're odd up there.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #42
MPS Digital Studios

Interesting.

heath
Old January 11th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Aged White Wine rules..

Seems obvious though that aged white wine ( preferably burgundy ) looks much better in a HDV close up than anything else ... DO you want to check a sample of it ? just tell me where to upload it.. ;-)
Pierre Barberis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #44
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Irwin
I like the way you think!

Trader Joes beer is not to be underestimated. They have a winter double bock that is unbelievable. And their "reserve" scotches are not bad either.

I think my current favorite pre/post shoot beer would have to be James Squire Porter. Those Aussies don't mess around. Though if it's been a rough day, I'll crack a bottle of Old Resputin Imperial Stout. Drinking that stuff is like having the man himself jump out of the bottle and slap you with his beard. Never say die!
I've always been scared by the generic trader joes scotches. They sort of remind me of the Leaving Las Vegas approach to power drinking. Not sure if anyone ever grew up near a Lucky in California but they had this style down to a science, clear plastic grip bottles literally labelled "Vodka" and "Gin." The old men filling their carts made me give up quick on hopes of cashing in my piggy bank cash for some Mike and Ikes and hightail it out of there.
But if you're saying the Trader Joes branded "reserve" scotch is worth the stretch I'll have to give it a go. It would certainly save me a pretty penny. Plus I have to remember that they have a more liberal return policy than costco.

PS
Any stout that conjures up slapping bearded angry monks has to make it's way to my fridge.
Will Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Guess I've been working and drinking too hard to find this thread till now...

Unfortunately, I do "volunteer videography" for the local ballet here in south Louisiana. The going rate is a 6-pack for a 1-2 minute audition tape. I usually drop hints that I don't do lager, and prefer ales or stouts. Although anything by Abita (our local brewery) is acceptable. It's not kosher to drink the beer while in the studio with a bunch of young dancers... so I can't vouch for it improving my creativity, but it's certainly refreshing after the shoot, and it may help with the editing.
In late 2005, I was awarded "Volunteer of the Year". My award was a 6-pack of Heineken... (Yeah, I like that too... and believe it or not, Budweiser is a good beer to drink with crawfish and raw oysters.)

I'm thinking that this year I should raise my fee to scotch... but I doubt I'll get many payments in single-malt.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51