The videographers sense for beer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old September 25th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #1
Major Player

The videographers sense for beer

I have observed that some threads in this forum have a tendency to sort of mutate into a discussion of beer quality - an in some cases also quantity.

If you also observe the member status of those who participiate in the discussion then it gets more interesting. And access to the forum logs would properly tell an even more interesting tale. I suspect that members in question will have a fondness for Area 51, and probably go there first when they visit this site.

This confirms a theory of mine:

A sense of good beer in an individual is a necessity in order to produce good video

However this introduces a mystery to me, as certain countries has big problems in beer quality. I mean - the original amber liquid is a Nordic invention, then the vatered down version filtered down to the germans/british, that exported the even more diluted stuff the rest of the world.

I mean, how can you keep up a productive environment if Miller or Budwiser is the main creative juices? Where do you keep the good stuff?

And more important - how would better beer quality improve your countrys video output?
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #2
Wrangler

Wow, that's really deep Jos, nice job! I wonder if you could get some sort of grant to research the topic further. If so, then I'd like to offer my services as a consultant.

Personally my video quality would be considerably degraded if I had to drink Miller or Budweiser. But as far as the "which beer is best" question goes, well that's a religious discussion and we don't allow those here at DVinfo...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 06:33 AM   #3
Major Player

OOh

I am not into promotion of different beer brands. I mean - there is no discussion that the local brands here in Denmark are far superior .... So there is no discussion.

The issue is far more important.

Will improved beer quality raise the creative level in video?

I mean who have ever heard of somebody making a super production on eco green tea and salad?

There is plenty of examples of fantastic productions made with a steady intake of beer and BBQed porky bits in preproduktion.

Maybe we should stage an experiment.

Three crews - One on green tea/salad - One on std. grade us beer/pizza and one on high octane european beer/BBQ beef.

All crews get the same equipment and the same task.

Then the creative results are evaluated by an independant jury.

The biggest problem is probably getting a crew to do the tea/salad, and getting a sponsor for that crew.

Last edited by Jos Svendsen; September 25th, 2005 at 09:15 AM.
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 07:12 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Svendsen
OOh

I am not into promotion of different beer brands. I mean - there is no discussion that the local brands here in Denmark are far superior .... So there is no discussion.

The issue is far more important.

Will improved beer quality raise the creative level in video?

I mean who have ever heard of somebody making a super profuction on eco Green tea and salad?

There is plenty of examples of fantastic productions made with a steady intake of beer and BBQed porky bits in preproduktion.

Maybe we should stage an experiment.

Three crews - One on Green tea/salad - One on std. grade us beer/pizza and one on high octane european beer/BBQ beef.

All crews get the same equipment and the same task.

Then the creative results are evaluated by an independant jury.

The biggest problem is probably getting a crew to do the tea/salad, and getting a sponsor for the crew.

Very interesting idea Jos. Maybe the next DV Challenge can be based on this theory. In fact, maybe you should poll the entrants of the most recent DV Challenge to find out what they consumed during the creative process to see if there is a connection.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

I have a love for Tequilla, and have found that tequilla and video equals less than family quality movies... Now, where are my pants?
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #6
Wrangler

I'm not sure, I usualy drink Scotch.
Old September 25th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Say what, Dylan? I thought you swilled Vodka primarily.

(Excellent topic, Jos!)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 04:34 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Say what, Dylan? I thought you swilled Vodka primarily.
I started a gradual transition this past winter, but it didn't come into full effect until this summer. I still enjoy vodka from time to time, but ultimately I enjoy Scotch more. Depends on the environment too though.
Old September 25th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #9
Inner Circle

We're definitely part of the emerging new Scotch cinema movement as well. We're trying to bridge the divide between the rival single malt and blended schools.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 08:59 PM   #10
Trustee

I know this won't count but I find myself strangely craving Bailieys Irish Creme, on the rocks, not diluted with what we americas have learned to call coffee. That's during the shooting/editing process as the sugar helps keep me going, the alcohol helps with editing decisions ("hell with it, just put a dissolve in there") and the creme, well, that helps with my calcium intake. I suppose Bailieys, and it's lesser known cousins are actually pretty well rounded production items.

For the more creative writing juices, I prefer (sorry, have to name names here), in no particular order, Red Stripe (when I'm feeling a bit ornery), Guiness (when pretending to be firts generation Irish, or just faking the accent), Fosters oil cans (thank you Monty Python).

The hard stuff pushes me past the ability to type too quickly. My head goes much faster than the fingers at that point and I forget what I am typing.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 10:32 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Wow, that's really deep Jos, nice job! I wonder if you could get some sort of grant to research the topic further. If so, then I'd like to offer my services as a consultant.

Personally my video quality would be considerably degraded if I had to drink Miller or Budweiser. But as far as the "which beer is best" question goes, well that's a religious discussion and we don't allow those here at DVinfo...
Boyd, that would be Cherry Hill's own world class award winning Flying Fish brew.
Old October 9th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
I find myself strangely craving Bailieys Irish Creme, on the rocks, not diluted with what we americas have learned to call coffee.
Strange that you mention this and I find it now, as at this moment I have on my desk a tall glass full of ice, with a huge bottle of Irish Cream and.......

see, you dont dilute it with coffee, as a matter of fact, you dont dilute it. You mix it with Coffee Liqueur....what I have here is Copa De Oro...it was $10 cheaper than Kahloah (or however spelled).

Whats strange about it to me is, I hardly ever drink at all...tonight, after almost a year of none, I felt the call and went and got. But Irish Cream and Coffee Liqueur do mean a lot to me. I once willingly missed my flight back to GA from Montana because the Bozeman Airport Bar's tender made the best I'd ever had and my now wife was footing the bill...watched my plane take off from the bar window.

As for better video??????? Don't know...but thank you for this thread, otherwise I would have just spent these wee hours (3am here) readin crap on the net and listening to Woody Guthrie....now I'm gonna get up and make some strange video.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 06:42 AM   #13
Trustee

Hot chicken wings with a good dark Microbrew beer post gig is the best. For any of you that shoot in winters...you know the deal!!
Old October 10th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #14
Trustee

Ah, for cold climates, I am fond of Hot Chocolate - the good stuff, dare I say , the real stuff, hot cocoa - and (drum roll please) Peppermint Schnapps. Do not laugh until you have tried it.

Keeps your toes just a bit warmer...

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #15
Trustee

Given that I actually have a film that people can see on-line right now I might be doing a diservice to the fine folks at budweiser, but I've found that a good night starts out with (sigh i can't believe I'm saying this) budE followed by bud select. I'm sure all of you real beer drinkers will laugh at that but for me it seems to be the perfect combination (there's a fine line between a healthy buzz and falling asleep before the creative juices keep stop flowing). Stay just awake enough and jsut sober enough to get through the editing and writing process.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51