DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   Repurpose those DVD/CD spindles! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/520879-repurpose-those-dvd-cd-spindles.html)

Steven Davis January 2nd, 2014 04:47 PM

Repurpose those DVD/CD spindles!

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, so here it is, the idea that will change your life!!!! I don't think I can get a patent for it, but if someone makes a cool million, remember the 'poor brother' ok?

If only I had 100 iPads for the 100 or so spindles I have.

Happy New Year!

Don Bloom January 2nd, 2014 07:03 PM

Re: Repurpose those DVD/CD spindles!

a few years ago I got a very last minute call to supply a bunch of audio gear for a panel discussion I was hired to do audio for. They needed a mixer (check) 4 handheld mics (check) lots of XLR cable (check) and 4 desktop mic stands. (uncheck) I never really thought about needing those since in every case I am NOT the primary audio guy but this was the exception. I had clips for the SM58s I just didn't have the stands....What do I do????? DA DA DA DAAAAAAAA! WAIT! I have a bunch of those DVD/CD spindles sittings on my shelf. Why? I have no idea but there were 6 of them there. EMPTY! I grabbed them went to the job and used gaff tape wrapped around the top of the spindle to fit the mic clip. 3 of them were 5/8s and 1 was 3/8s which fit with a little persuasion and the client was not only thrilled that I was able to provide the gear on a very last minute (I was getting ready to walk out the door when he called) but never noticed the mic stands were plastic and put together with tape. Those spindles made me some cash that day. Cash I would have had to give up if I weren't a hoarder! ;-)

Steven Davis March 13th, 2014 06:40 AM

Re: Repurpose those DVD/CD spindles!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1826384)
a few years ago I got a very last minute call to supply a bunch of audio gear for a panel discussion I was hired to do audio for. They needed a mixer (check) 4 handheld mics (check) lots of XLR cable (check) and 4 desktop mic stands. (uncheck) I never really thought about needing those since in every case I am NOT the primary audio guy but this was the exception. I had clips for the SM58s I just didn't have the stands....What do I do????? DA DA DA DAAAAAAAA! WAIT! I have a bunch of those DVD/CD spindles sittings on my shelf. Why? I have no idea but there were 6 of them there. EMPTY! I grabbed them went to the job and used gaff tape wrapped around the top of the spindle to fit the mic clip. 3 of them were 5/8s and 1 was 3/8s which fit with a little persuasion and the client was not only thrilled that I was able to provide the gear on a very last minute (I was getting ready to walk out the door when he called) but never noticed the mic stands were plastic and put together with tape. Those spindles made me some cash that day. Cash I would have had to give up if I weren't a hoarder! ;-)

Hoarder too! At some point I'll need another house.