Panasonic GS400 successor - any hearsay? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old October 3rd, 2005, 11:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Panasonic GS400 successor - any hearsay?

Before GS400 announced there was some buzz about HDV supporting in this cam "at least for playback". In fact we are not fated to use this.
So I suspect Matsushita is preparing some new prosumer camcorder now that will be compete with Sony HC1 HDV/DV camcorder.

Suspicious silent from Panasonic, isn’t it?
Old October 4th, 2005, 01:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Panasonic is not a member of the HDV consortium so an HDV version seems, to me at least, to be unlikely. More likely is a cam that captures to solid state ie an SD card when their capacity is big enough. That is what is happening with their smaller SD only consumer level cams (eg SDR-S100) and their forthcoming pro cam the HVX200 with both P2 card and tape capture (the P2 card is 4 x SD cards in a Raid array). P2 is an expensive pro format, so an SD card seems much more likely in a consumer cam. Then the questions are: HD as well as DV? if HD which flavour of HD? which compression format (mpeg2 or mpeg4 or DVProHD) will be used? how it will be edited? But this is just speculation.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I hope the GS400's replacement is something of a hybrid of the GS400 and DVC30. I don't need HD or HDV right now. I do need hi-res 16:9. Drop the still photo capability. Prosumers and high-end consumers don't need it. We have still cams.

I really don't know why this is so difficult for the manufacturers. I guess they have tons of survey data that says (regular) people want video and still cams combined into one device.

So my ideal cam looks like the DVC30 (more pro look), has three 1/4" CCDs, hi-res 16:9, and a 16:9 LCD.

If the DVC30 had high-res 16:9 it would be the perfect cam for me. It looks professional but is still small enough to take to Disney with the family. Although making it a bit smaller wouldn't hurt.
Brian Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

That would be my ideal camera as well Brian. I really would like the 16:9 with the larger chips for better low light shooting.
doug
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Good ideas !

My ideal device would be the smaller body of the GS250 with three 1/4" chips
or a single larger chip. The pixels would be just small enough for video resolution, and whatever still capability would come with that. Manufacturers are pushing still capability, and the smaller pixel size is compromising low light performance. At least, that is what I notice when comparing the various GS models with 1/6" CCDs : more pixels on the same sensor area yields worse performance. Check out the low light tests at
camcorderinfo.com .

I'd like a clone of Sony's new camera focus method in which you can set a focus zone in the touch screen. I am growing ill with all of the back wall-focused video. At the very least, we could use the GS joystick to set a focus area, with a red box outlining the area. Just like on a Nikon DSLR.
None of this would require additions to the camera, and could even be
a firmware upgrade.

I would like an AF focus button that you press while in manual focus mode.
Yes, this requires and additional button, but it would eliminate all of that
focus hunting.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #6
Trustee

My view is direct output CCD signal without manipulation by USB2 or firewire. No extra cost, maybe just a firmware update. ;-)

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:20 AM   #7
Outer Circle

Quote:
Suspicious silent from Panasonic, isn’t it?
Silence is golden. With the GS400, Pana knows they won't have to replace it until broadcast goes HD. That'll be...., 10 years, realistically? ;)

PS: ouch.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I don't see them using P2 or DVCproHD. P2 will be too expensive for consumers for awhile. DVCproHD suffers from a few tiny problems like needing a high end computer to edit on and a lack of NLE's supporting it. Pros are willing to live with that but I doubt consumers will. My prediction which is worth what it cost is they will go the H.264 route. We should know in a few weeks come CES.
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51