Calling it: Sony will not release a sub $10,000 4K 60p cam at NAB 2017 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old December 8th, 2016, 01:15 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Calling it: Sony will not release a sub $10,000 4K 60p cam at NAB 2017

I'm going to wager a bet that Sony will not make an announcement of a 4K 60p camera below $10,000USD at NAB. I would put money down on it cause it's a sure thing that there will be no announcement of such a camera.

Sony have stated that as a business decision they will never make a fixed lens 4K 60p camera below the FS7. I'm fairly confident if I had money down on this bet they will not release another 4K 60p camera.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 07:58 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Calling it: Sony will not release a sub $10,000 4K 60p cam at NAB 2017

The new GH5 might twist their arm on this. I absolutely agree that Sony doesnt "want" a 60p camera in a lower price range. However, I certainly think that the GH5 will be the proverbial gun to Sony's head.

If the GH5 uses a Sony image sensor, than Sony was very well aware of the GH5 specs over a year ago. They dont blindly sell sensors to competitors. They contractually require all the buyer's camera specs before they approve the sale.

I think that the GH5 changes everything and that Sony will have a competitive answer soon. If not, they will get their asses handed to them. They will lose body and lens sales pretty badly, i think.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I was waiting for a better sensor version of my FDR-AX1. I have given up and pre -ordered a GH5 since my application is a fixed , wide angle use for later cropping to 1920x1080 form factor does not have to be a camcorder. I seriously looked at the HC-X1 and UX180 ( my requirement is UHD 60P ) but felt lack of 10 bit on the HDMI was a problem for future proofing and of course could be a Sony limitation !!! The GH5 may be a MFT sensor but in most other respects its closest competitor for features is the FS7 at 5 times the cost. It also has a lot of things the FS7 does not have that are important to me like image stabilization, WiFi control and touch screen focusing for instance. A fixed lens Sony to replace the PXW-Z100/ FDR-AX1 with 1" sensor like the UX180 but with XAVC encoding etc would I think damage the market for the FS5 and possibly the FS7 too. Not something that Sony would do willingly but may have to.

You may be correct Cliff
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 02:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Jack, you say 'Sony have stated that as a business decision they will never make a fixed lens 4K 60p camera below the FS7.' I did not know that. Most interesting and certainly inline with their published long term strategy.

My question if I may: do you have a reference for that statement, not that I doubt you but I would truly like to see it from the horse's mouth. I will not place money on the bet you propose as I also doubt Sony will enter the consumer/prosumer market with a 4K 60p camera in the foreseeable future.

I believe we can easily agree that the FS7 is an excellent professional cam and that the GH5 will compete very successfully in that market segment even though it does not have the 'professional' form factor. We also appear to agree that in as much as Sony manufacture the cool new sensor deployed in the GH5 they knew eons ago what was coming down the pike. To expand on your war-like metaphor Cliff the proverbial gun to Sony's head has been in place for a long time, maybe a year or more likely two, and with the GH5 announcement the trigger was pulled - while Sony was just standing there saying 'please don't shoot'. I don't think so.

Which leads me to two possibilities, the first being Sony is so incredibly slow and incompetent that it takes them forever to wake up to reality or secondly they are smart enough to know where to and where not to compete and a sound business decision was made quite some time ago regarding developing and marketing a GH5 competitor. (A third possibility is that Sony is in extreme disarray, but I very much doubt it.)

I now have a Lumix G85. My AX100 is up for sale as are several other outdated cams. My next purchase is the GH5. Sony is seemingly elsewhere, and that's just fine. For a long term Sony fan the situation is a bit disappointing but I'm getting over it aided by the excellence of the Lumix G85 and the highly promising GH5 coming in a month or three.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 03:14 PM   #5
Major Player

This might help with the understanding, or may confuse.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/libr...q3_sonypre.pdf

Take a look at 'Q1-Q3 FY2016 Results by Segment [Reclassified]'.

Not a pretty picture!
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 12:55 PM   #6
Trustee

I doubt that Sony will ever allow 10bit internal recording on any camera below $10k camera. However, i do believe the Panasonic 10bit attack will force Sony to allow 10 output over HDMI. I think Sony will grit their teeth, clicnch their fists and close their eyes as the announce a new A7s-III with 10bit HDMI only.

10 bit off that SPECTACULAR sensor with that incredible signal to noise ratio and 14 stops of dynamic range would truely be groudbreaking and huge.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 04:13 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Right, but they will never adopt UHS-II SD card slots, LET ALONE 2 OF THEM.
Old April 21st, 2017, 02:27 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I love being wrong about UHS-II, but they still only implemented 1 UHS-II slot on a dual slot camera.

Also, still 8bit HDMI.
Old April 21st, 2017, 03:39 PM   #9
Inner Circle

The PXW-Z100 is still part of the lineup with 10 bit 4:2:2 recording of UHD 60P. I have the FDR-AX1 which is 8 bit 4:2:0 at 150Mbps and as I have said gave up waiting for an update and bought the GH5. Sony were first in the market with the FDR-AX1 and PXW-Z100 and have not followed up with replacements in 4 years. Maybe they have let Panasonic bring out the UX180/HC-X1 and the GH5 !!
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 04:39 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I called it. No new fixed lens handhelds at all. And no 4K 60p at all.

Looks like it's a GH5 for me.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51