The end of computers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old July 27th, 2017, 09:49 PM   #1
Major Player

The end of computers?

I bought an iMac 5k 2017

There can't be a better screen with the same or a smaller size as it is retina.
It has Tb3 so in December I will be able to attach an external PCI box and use it with whatever card I need as if it was internally mounted.
Everything now seems to use GPU and not CPU so I will be able to buy a faster GPU and mount it externally when I need one.
Is my Mac going to last forever?
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 11:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: The end of computers?

No. They will just write programs more complicated and bigger. I had a Spectrum ZX (I think they had a different name in the USA. Was it Simpsons?) 16k memory yes KB, not even MB.It had a word processor and spreadsheet that did many things most of what the simple man needed. Look at them now. So who sees what the future holds?
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 12:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Yeah but as I said the screen can't get better and with Tb3 cable you can get pci speed externally to add new GPU power
Old July 28th, 2017, 04:34 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli View Post
There can't be a better screen with the same or a smaller size as it is retina.
Resolution is but one aspect of a display.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 08:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yeah but as I said the screen can't get better and with Tb3 cable you can get pci speed externally to add new GPU power
TB3 is good, but it's 32Gbps compared to the PCIe interface's 126Gbps.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 09:42 AM   #6
Wrangler

It could be a good machine for years to come, but the idea that it "can't be better" is just silly. Unless you are very young, you don't have to look back very many years to see computers have improved in ways we never envisioned.

My first computer was an Apple ][ in 1978 and the big decision was whether to get the 4k or 16k version. I went for the 16k, which was really expensive in its day, about $1,300. But the 4k model could only use integer BASIC, you needed more memory to load the floating point version. And for that price all you got was the computer itself, no monitor or storage device. You had to provide your own cassette recorder and TV for that!

As nice as that iMac might be, one concern is the integrated display. If it fails after your warranty period, it may not be worth the cost to repair. But it sounds like you've got a great new computer. I hope it gives you many trouble-free years of enjoyment!

I am still using my 2012 2.6ghz i7 quad Mini Server for video and should get a couple more years out of it at least!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 10:53 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Like Boyd said. Out of warranty any internal component failure can render it worthless. If you're young its hard to imagine your computer becoming obsolete its not a matter of if but when. As they say in sports father time is undefeated. Just enjoy your new iMac you should get many years out of it.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 12:30 PM   #8
Trustee

Ha ha ha haaaa.....
Quote:
Is my Mac going to last forever?
Marcello ....

The marketing people have this all figured out but they aren't telling.

What you're REALLY going to NEED is 8K. Well, maybe next year.

Then, there is Virtual Reality, followed by 3D ....

Ya gotta have 3D and a chemical 3D printer to make those things to save on trips to the store.

Hated to give up my old Commodore 64 (using Basic with 64K of memory) but the PC 6 (turbo'ed to 12) running DOS 2.0 (I think it was) replaced it. Wow! what an improvement.

Last forever??? The marketing guys and everyone else in the chain will be out of a job if it did. Can't have that, can we?

On the other hand, if the operating system and the applications change so they render your existing documents unreadable, you just may hope that it WILL last forever. I still have my MacBook White (2006) just for this purpose, albeit with a SSD.

Enjoy the iMac as long as you can and keep the money in circulation!

Edit: No sooner did I write this post and I read the News here. Meet the new RØDE VideoMic Pro+
This is a NEW Røde VideoMic Pro+ (oh yes, that's "plus" so it must be good). Really nice features and would work great on a B-cam for syncing. I want! I thought mics would last forever .... but now what to do with my OLD VideoMic? ;-)

Last edited by John Nantz; July 28th, 2017 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Røde mic
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2017, 08:37 PM   #9
Trustee

Mac is the long ruling king of proprietary systems. Not only that but they change connectors and ports very often to keep their worshipers feeding on the addictive Kool-aid. The dollars roll in and the well will never run dry. They do not have a track record of good longevity that is better than anyone else. They just publish better lies about why they had to change their last greatest cable/port, form factor, device or whatever. The Mac evangelists rush to Best Buy days before a Midnight release. It has been going on for years and will continue as long as the guru's in the marketing department can continue to control the minds of Mac users.

The end of computers? Sounds like one of the worst cases of Mac Kool-Aid poisoning I have ever heard of!

Marcello, Yes this post is snarky. But no offence intended. Just having some fun.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old August 21st, 2017, 08:57 PM   #10
Major Player

I don't want to make it a mac VS pic thing.
Let's put it another way....
- GPU's are getting much more important than CPUs.
- An external Thunderbolt 3 device is almost as fast as the same device mounted internally on PCI slot
- External Tb3 PCI boxes are available
- Retina resolution with full HDR color spectrum will be available soon (iMac is retina and has more color range but not full HDR)
Will we be changing bits and pieces (graphic cards mainly) keeping the main "thing" (screen and CPU) "for ever"?
Old August 21st, 2017, 09:25 PM   #11
Trustee

I thought your question was almost rhetorical and for fun. If you are serious then my answer is a resounding....NO.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old August 23rd, 2017, 06:41 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
I thought your question was almost rhetorical and for fun. If you are serious then my answer is a resounding....NO.

Kind Regards,

Steve
I'm not sure 'a resounding' is needed. Many millenials have no interest in and will probably never own a desktop. Many won't even bother with a laptop, its smartphone all the way for them.

Internet speeds will change more than computer technology. Heck, 4K is mostly going to be streamed thru Youtube, Facebook & Netflix. I think computers will just last longer, close 10 years. I gotta admit, I bought my PC in 2011 with 8GB Ram, a few years ago I upgraded it to 16GB and last year did a fresh install of Win 10. Amazing when I think about it, runs fine, sure it struggles a tad when editing or rendering HD, but its flawless with proxies. Possibly next year I'll look to upgrade, but I'm finishing up another year with this beast, it owes me no favors anymore.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #13
New Boot

I less the a Year you will have an OLD computer. In 5 years it will be time to get a NEW computer. Thats how it works !
Paul Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 04:16 PM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
Ha ha ha haaaa.....

Marcello ....

The marketing people have this all figured out but they aren't telling.

What you're REALLY going to NEED is 8K. Well, maybe next year.

Then, there is Virtual Reality, followed by 3D ....

Ya gotta have 3D and a chemical 3D printer to make those things to save on trips to the store.

Hated to give up my old Commodore 64 (using Basic with 64K of memory) but the PC 6 (turbo'ed to 12) running DOS 2.0 (I think it was) replaced it. Wow! what an improvement.

Last forever??? The marketing guys and everyone else in the chain will be out of a job if it did. Can't have that, can we?

On the other hand, if the operating system and the applications change so they render your existing documents unreadable, you just may hope that it WILL last forever. I still have my MacBook White (2006) just for this purpose, albeit with a SSD.

Enjoy the iMac as long as you can and keep the money in circulation!

Edit: No sooner did I write this post and I read the News here. Meet the new RØDE VideoMic Pro+
This is a NEW Røde VideoMic Pro+ (oh yes, that's "plus" so it must be good). Really nice features and would work great on a B-cam for syncing. I want! I thought mics would last forever .... but now what to do with my OLD VideoMic? ;-)
Amiga 1000 Hands Down the BEST computer I ever owned. NOTHING has changed since the 1000, had sound video everything that is available today. ONLY change is faster cpu's , bigger storage BUT NOTHING major. Nothing to make you say WOW ! The Amiga 1000 made you say. WOW !
Paul Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #15
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
It could be a good machine for years to come, but the idea that it "can't be better" is just silly. Unless you are very young, you don't have to look back very many years to see computers have improved in ways we never envisioned.

My first computer was an Apple ][ in 1978 and the big decision was whether to get the 4k or 16k version. I went for the 16k, which was really expensive in its day, about $1,300. But the 4k model could only use integer BASIC, you needed more memory to load the floating point version. And for that price all you got was the computer itself, no monitor or storage device. You had to provide your own cassette recorder and TV for that!

As nice as that iMac might be, one concern is the integrated display. If it fails after your warranty period, it may not be worth the cost to repair. But it sounds like you've got a great new computer. I hope it gives you many trouble-free years of enjoyment!

I am still using my 2012 2.6ghz i7 quad Mini Server for video and should get a couple more years out of it at least!
Had an Atari 400 ? I think it was called. The game ports from the Atari were used on IBM clones and up until recently. Some other technology came out of the 400 and was used on clone. I can not remember its been soooooooooo long. The Atari team got together and incorporated some chips to form Commodore Computers and the Amiga 1000 was born.
Paul Silva is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51