DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   Fx2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/56732-fx2.html)

Noah Hayes December 23rd, 2005 04:13 PM

Fx2?

I know I'll probably get ridiculed for saying this and will probably start another debate about the product trends of Sony, Canon, JVC, and Panasonic. But I believe (saying that because I'm not allowed to reveal my source) that a replacement for the FX1 will be coming out near the end of January/ begining of February.

As some of you may know, I was planning on buying an FX1 but I decided to hold off until I see what Sony releases to replace it. My question is what do you guys think would be changed in it, or hope to see changed in it? My source wasn't able to tell me anything about the specifications, just " I'd recommend waiting about a month/month and a half."

Another reason I'm waiting was the FX1 was just going to be a stopgap for me, I really hope the HVX200 drops in price to "street value" by then so I can get what I want.

Jack Zhang December 23rd, 2005 04:29 PM

Best case scenario: The FX2 has HDV 1080p60 support with HDMI hookup.

Worst case scenario: The FX2 uses HDV 1080i again and only upgrades the image sensors to 3CMOS.

Petr Marusek January 8th, 2006 08:11 AM

I think that the only change you guys can expect this year is upgraded CF24, based on 48i, not on 60i, so the motion will be smooth.

Philip Williams January 8th, 2006 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petr Marusek
I think that the only change you guys can expect this year is upgraded CF24, based on 48i, not on 60i, so the motion will be smooth.

That would actually be great. Unfortunately I doubt they'll do that. Sony just doesn't seem interested in providing high quality 24fps for the consumer.

I do expect a newer generation MPEG2 encoder though. Some sort of focus assist that operates while recording might be a realistic expectation. Overall I wouldn't expect too much though. I don't recall too much updating when the VX2100 replaced the VX2000 and I'd guess we'll see a similarly mild upgrade path here.

Petr Marusek January 9th, 2006 03:38 AM

Before Z1 came out, there was a 48 page Sony Power Point presentation, where two CF24 mode were included. At that time Sony still did not finalize the firmware yet. I think that it would cost Sony nothing to do this change and the competing Canon already has true 24p mode. I doubt that you can expect any other changes as Sony is still unchallenged in their market segment.

Philip Williams January 9th, 2006 12:25 PM

Quote:

Before Z1 came out, there was a 48 page Sony Power Point presentation, where two CF24 mode were included. At that time Sony still did not finalize the firmware yet. I think that it would cost Sony nothing to do this change and the competing Canon already has true 24p mode. I doubt that you can expect any other changes as Sony is still unchallenged in their market segment.

Well Petr, hope springs eternal. Like I said, I think a 48i based CF24 would be superb, even with the resolution loss. But your indication that Sony originally planned 2 CF24 modes, combined with the fact that it probably wouldn't cost much to add 48i actually leads us to the conclusion that... Sony doesn't want us to have a 24F camera for 3 or even 5 grand.

Also, the competing Canon doesn't have 24P because.. there is no competing Canon. The XLH1 costs 3 (let me emphasize, THREE!!) times as much as an FX1. Relatively speaking then my Hyndai would be competing with Corvettes. Its also a LOT more expensive than the Z1.

Hey man, like I said, hope springs eternal. But Sony putting a proper 24F/P mode on the FX1 just totally flies in the face of past and present Sony product development. I think if you want Sony and you want 24P, you need to hand them 20K plus (or whatever it costs) for some sort of HDCAM unit. And that's just how Sony likes it.

I don't believe it'll happen, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you anyway!

Petr Marusek January 9th, 2006 12:58 PM

Philip, I totally agree. There were posts that Sony may have all these improvements. I said that if any, better CF24 would be it, which, like I said would cost them nothing, but they will not give us this nothing-cost improvement, unless the competiton makes them, and there is no competition.

Gareth Watkins January 10th, 2006 07:09 AM

Hi

I guess I agree with the others not to expect any radical updates by Sony..

I think the FX1 is a brilliant camera for the money but my wish list would be...
Personally I've no real use for 24p

1) Some kind of built in shoulder support, to help balance it a bit...Some one once suggested it would be nice if the view finder and LCD were interchangable... so it could be used as a semi-shoulder cam... that would be nice as it is quite heavy, especially with an external mic and Beachtek...linked to my first wish that would be great.

2) Some form of solid state recording... along the P2 lines.

cheers
Gareth

Kurth Bousman January 15th, 2006 04:25 PM

I believe real 24p running on 48i would require more than a firmware upgrade, but real 30p could possibly be added but what interface would they use ? Kurth

Michael Wisniewski January 15th, 2006 05:01 PM

How would you feel if the FX2 recorded to a Blu-Ray instead of MiniDV tape? (No I don't know anything, just curious)

Jacob Mason January 15th, 2006 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski
How would you feel if the FX2 recorded to a Blu-Ray instead of MiniDV tape? (No I don't know anything, just curious)

I'd feel interested, but not sold.
Will the Blu-Ray give us other recording options?
Are we still talking the same 1080i HDV, or are we gonna actually take a risk and offer up some real progressive mojo?
(I don't know anything either, but there's a good chance my curiosity will lead me to the same conclusion I have arrived to previously: Sony doesn't have the balls to give us progressive).

Michael Wisniewski January 15th, 2006 06:14 PM

Blu-Ray wouldn't affect the availability of progressive or interlace options.

The main advantage would be to pop the disc directly into your Blu-Ray computer drive and copy the video to hard disk.

Evan C. King January 26th, 2006 12:50 AM

Quote:

Philip, I totally agree. There were posts that Sony may have all these improvements. I said that if any, better CF24 would be it, which, like I said would cost them nothing, but they will not give us this nothing-cost improvement, unless the competiton makes them, and there is no competition.

All the other cams are competition. It doesn't matter if they are more expensive they're competition if the buyer is willng to pay an extra couple of bucks and go somewhere else. And buyers most definetly are look at the other forums here.

A proper cf24(like canon's 24f) FX1 and Z1 would sh** all over every companies offering because those cameras are so much cheaper. Sure the other companies cameras would sell but for tons and I mean tons of people the only thing they care about from other cams is 24, they don't care about p2, 20x canon lens, HD-SDI out, variable frame rates, etc.

A camera like that would be dare I say it...more like an HD dvx than the HVX is.

At the fx1/z1u price sure the cameras would be cheaper but sony would sell INCREDIBLE volume, which leads to more profit.

I know other people would argue this but the majority of people with the dvx series cameras cannot afford the hvx with it's ability to record HD.

So a 24f FX1/Z1U would have the same audience it originally had PLUS more than half the audience panasonic, jvc, and canon have.

If sony did that and only that without even adding other features they would have a huge winner on their hands.

If sony doesn't get to market with an FX1/Z1 form factor high quality 24f camcorder, canon will.

Bob Zimmerman January 26th, 2006 10:51 AM

I think it's more likely to see a Canon GL3 with the 24F HDV. That will be the big seller.

Christopher Cruz January 27th, 2006 06:04 PM

I was really close to ordering my 2nd Fx1 but now with the news of the update of the HC1, i'm on my toes now wondering if there will indeed be an update to the FX1.

I guess a sign that there would be an updated HC1 was the $500 rebate that came out. So far I havent seen any news of a rebate for the FX1 but the units are discounted $300+ on sites like best buy and circuit city. Hmmm my gut is starting to think there will be an update.