DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   Help! Trying to settle a bet (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/56889-help-trying-settle-bet.html)

Ben Gurvich December 27th, 2005 07:07 AM

Help! Trying to settle a bet

Im trying to settle a bet which is kind of strange.

The bet is:

I think that at some point in time, to signal a waiter in a French Restaurant one would raise their hand to their open mouth and and hit one's lips making a popping sound to signal a waiter.

Now, the reason i think this is true is something to do with an episode of "Get Smart" that i saw when i was a kid. Max is at a French restaurant and he makes this "hand over mouth" gesture to get the waiters attention.

The bet is not saying that the exact movement is true, but that if there is some small truth in this, that i will be correct.

My Wife thinks the whole thing is ridiculous and we have a wager of having to get up early for a week and feeding the cat.

If anyone can shed some light on this i would be most interested, and if im right appreciative.

Cheers,
Ben Gurvich

Richard Alvarez December 27th, 2005 08:38 AM

I lived in Paris for a year, '79-80.

There is no way to get a waiter's attention.

K. Forman December 27th, 2005 10:04 AM

The mouth pop you refer to, was a trademark of this little bald actor- the name eludes me. He has been in so many different shows and movies, and usually plays a Maitre di, or Hotel Desk man. He would call for a waiter or a bellhop, and then pop his mouth as a puncuation. The appropriate way to call a waiter, is Garson, which means boy. If that doesn't work, throw breadsticks.

Michael Wisniewski December 27th, 2005 10:15 AM

Either way, the correct answer is, yes honey, you are right, now excuse me while I go feed the cat.

Chris Hurd December 27th, 2005 10:24 AM

Definitely Area 51 material. *pop*

Robert Martens December 27th, 2005 12:54 PM

I think Fritz Feld is the gentleman you're looking for, Keith.

K. Forman December 27th, 2005 01:13 PM

Sounds like him... IMDB left out his part in Lost In Space, where he was his usual character :)

Robert Martens December 27th, 2005 01:22 PM

You'll find that under "Notable TV Guest Appearances", toward the bottom of his credit list.

Giroud Francois December 27th, 2005 01:37 PM

I think you can have a deal with your wife.
Since there is no official way to call a "Garçon" , the most polite form you could find is ok.
-raising your hand (the best one), eventually adding "S'il vous plait" (please)
- whistle followed by "Hey you!" , pretty rude,but sometime the only way after having tried other forms (and not really suprising from an american, in the mind of a french waiter, don't be upset, same would apply to a german tourist).
- just leaving the table (you would be amazed how fast they come to get their tip), but it works only at the end of the meal.

So the poping mouth is not silly as long you can stand for all the bizarre look the everybody will throw at you.

Jimi Colteryahn December 27th, 2005 02:15 PM

hello!

I agree with Michael the only way you win this bet is to feed the cat...

Ben Gurvich December 27th, 2005 05:25 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

So it looks to me like Maxwell Smart making this gesture is a reference to this Fritz Feld character Keith and Robert are reffering to.

Not looking good for me thus far... However it is interesting to get to the bottom of this.

Cheers,
Ben Gurvich

Ben Gurvich December 27th, 2005 06:04 PM

According to imdb http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0270915/

Fritz Feld appeared in "Get Smart, Again!" as a Waiter in this 1989 reprise of the show.

Seems Don Adams was a fan of Fritz, would explain why Max signals the Waiter in the same way.

Ben Gurvich December 28th, 2005 05:42 AM

Like a losing politician, I have conceded defeat. Only im being honest that i was wrong!

Thanks again.

Until Next time.
CHeers.
Ben Gurvich