Sony A1: how future-proof? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old March 7th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony A1: how future-proof?

Okay, I'm just thinking out loud here...

I want to purchase an A1... BUT if it will be out done in the next 6 months, I can wait. How likely is it, that I would be sorry if I bought an A1 now?

I would rather have a cam with a 20x, feathered zoom, (with xlr's and native 16:9) but that could be a long way off.

I don't think that a $500 rebate is necessarily a confirmation of a new model coming out, more of way of saying that they overpriced it to begin with. Perhaps it was not selling as well as they wanted and they wanted to move more units for some reason.

I don't know if anything else would really squash the A1, either a new version or a cam from another manufacturer. It could get some stiff competition but how could another cam be that much better at the same price point?

What do you think? Is there a time or season that new models are usually introduced, like CES or NAB? Or is it just whenever?

Nick Reed
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #2
Wrangler

Personally, I think the A1U is very good deal and it's well built. It will last you a long time to come. It's a pint-sized power-house of a camcorder. And for the price, the built-in phantom XLR is awesome.

For me the 3 strikes against it are business reasons:
- 7 lux rating
- bottom loading tape
- form factor: it's a wee little camera with no handle

But I really like the A1U, if I could justify it business wise, I'd own one already.
Old March 7th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'd say wait and see what's announced at NAB next month. I haven't heard any rumors suggesting you're likely to see what you want at a reasonable price this year, but we might at least get an HDV version of the Canon GL2. Trouble is that Canon has never put XLR adapters on this model line, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to do it now. Plus it's been predicted that such a camera is likely to be priced more like a Sony Z1U than an A1U, so if price is an issue you won't get much help there. Anyway, hang tight for a few more weeks.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm going to take a bit of a guess and suggest that a Sony HDR-HC5 may be out later in 2006, possibly followed soon thereafter by an A5, to replace the A1.
Timing - i'll take a stab at mid-late Summer for an announcement.

Just my opinion based on a few things i've read, observation of Sony product life-cycle, nothing more than that really.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I asked one of the Sony/dealer reps at a show, and was told that new cameras were to be announced at NAB, but nothing about which cameras or the A1.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51