The ETD Format---a Sneak Preview - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old April 10th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #16
Inner Circle

David, I suppose that is why it is called "Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51" you sort of expect that here sometimes.

But there is also a mark of even higher intelligence, to identify when/what/how/and to what extent to joke. I don't think joking is evil, but it can be done rightly or wrongly. So telling people what's not truth is important.

Now, speaking of "Star Trek" I have known a few people with access to some pretty interesting stuff, that normal people just don't know about. While I have never heard of a system like J is suggesting, I must say other technologies I have heard of in development, are not too far off of it, as far as advancement, and very "Star Trek" like. And I wish what you propose would be available soon, for my desktop.

Last edited by Wayne Morellini; April 10th, 2006 at 08:17 AM.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #17
Inner Circle

J.

Here is that tech I mentioned.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/03/11/ib...lay/index.html

Wayne.
Old April 19th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I take a humble bow to thee. Please accept my public apology for doubting you. This isn't my first public apology on this board. Maybe I should get my clutch fixed - if you know what I mean.
David Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
J.

Here is that tech I mentioned.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/03/11/ib...lay/index.html

Wayne.
Wayne, this Nanotechnology Millipede format is more practical and more easily implemented than what I proposed. It will likely become a working system before the atomic-level ETD system can be realized. However, as much capacity as Millipede has got, ETD could store 100 times more, in the same size of media. But, how much do you actually need in storage space? Millipede boggles the mind in its potential and that would probably be far more than anyone could ever find enough junk to fill.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #20
Inner Circle

David,

This is not the same technology, you are OK, though I imagine that such a concept could be used as part of it.

J.,

Yes I first heard this many years ago (before that there was an optical addressing scheme, maybe even magnetic,I think by the same groups). So, have been waiting 10-15 years. Maybe it will be replaced by some other concept before it comes out, like your one ;).

Do you know, there are many different disk formats out there, than Blue ray, DVD HD. About five to eight years ago, there was a number announced, even with BillG, or Microsoft, investment, but they haven't come (though constellation DVD disk has had a recent announcement), and a number of holographic/3D substances. There was the Korean (or was that Vietnamese) announcement of 100GB red laser DVD disk, that I think used near field imaging lensing to achieve the density, and maybe another similar sounding one. There was the one that used slants/shapes to encode more. Constellation uses I think 10 layers. Holographic disks, Toshiba has another one as well as the inphase one due out this year, I have correspondence from one, probably ten years ago or so, promising soon to be released holographic disks. Has anybody heard of the Optical cards, credit card strips and whole card surfaces (80's)? Then there was optical paper, that eventually they used as a tape format. Japanese Holographic film. Some funny thing that changed the phase, or electron nature of surface, was around 27GB 8-9 years ago). One of the big ones, Blue Disks, from Australian National University, stores many light frequencies that hits it's rare earth materials surface (1980's) (became Optical RAM, used as a cache between the disk and the cache, that stored it's values temporarily) capacity of one million CD's (maybe it was several million).

Thanks

Wayne.
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Here is some detailed information that Millipede Atomic Force Microscope based recording technology. Nice reading. :

http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/.../vettiger.html
Old April 24th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Here is some detailed information that Millipede Atomic Force Microscope based recording technology. Nice reading. :

http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/.../vettiger.html
Yes, indeed. Very nice reading. It's the kind of information that might take months to read and contemplate enough to really grasp all its implications. Once, when I read a presentation paper by two Russians on what they called, "Time-reversed Light", on amplified and self-targeting laser beams, it took me 6 months to absorb 5 pages. You notice that they alluded to molecular and atomic manipulation as a future area for their research. I first formed my ideas about this in 1991. We've moved into an age when fantasies and realities have only small separations or perhaps none at all.
Old April 25th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I'm interested in this time reversed light, is that retro reflector, or what is it?

Fantasy and reality getting closer. I've been reading new scientist for decades, and since the late 80's this definitely is getting truer. Some of the stuff looked like it was Startrek, even Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy (ice cube breaking stuff and probability) if that's possible.
Old April 26th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
I'm interested in this time reversed light, is that retro reflector, or what is it?
That may be a way of describing it. The Americans have a different name for it, since they started working on it, but I can't recall it.

To put it simply, they found that if methane gas is compressed and put in a glass container and then hit with an agitation beam from the side, that it will reflect light back along the same trajectory on which it arrived. Ordinarily, light would refract at a complementary angle, instead of reversing and following the exact pathway, back to its source. If it went through a 10X amplifier on its incoming path, then it would go back through the amplifier on the return trip and come out at 100X of its intensity. Then, it would strike the light source with all that power. The return beam would have the tight integrity of a laser, if this was done correctly.

If the skies were swept with a light, and a solid object reflected a little of it back to the light-reverser, it would function as a pilot beam. The tiny bit of light could be amplified multiple times, to a massively destructive level and when reversed, might take out whatever reflected the light. This is the self-targeting aspect of it. This is a type of "Star-Wars" application, but there could be other uses for it.

In an lab in the USA, a graduate student unwittingly sacrificed part of her anatomy, to drive home the effectiveness of this system. Her colleagues were playing around with one of these self-targeting, pilot-beam activated light systems. They didn't yet grasp all the possibilities and dangers of what they were doing. At just the wrong moment, she entered the lab and one of the large, dangling earrings she was wearing reflected a blip of light into the amplifier/reflector. Instantly, a powerful burst of light energy struck out and hit the heavy metal earring, vaporizing her ear lobe. Fortunately, the earring fell to the floor, out of view of the light source. She apparently wasn't hurt, otherwise. Her colleagues felt her pain. This was about 16-18 years ago. Today, a typical grad student might be wearing metal in her lips, tongue, eyebrows, nose, ears and who knows where else. No need to explain the outcome of a similar incident, if it happened to someone with that amount of hardware showing.
Old April 26th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Very funny, nice joke Steve ;)

Anyway, yeah that sort of thing, the Russians invented the tech in the early 80's, I had a Scientific America (or American Scientist) with it in, except then it was a black mirror. They were hush over how it worked. It disappeared and then I noticed retro reflectors, si I suppose that is them. The methane idea is interesting, if you can find a real technique that could do that of course.

The retro reflectors, work by light coming in and hitting a mirror, bouncing to another mirrors that bounces it out again on the same angle. I think it is a three interconnecting mirror system around a pivot point, though I think it might also have a central mirror feature around the pivot point. I don't remember exactly, I have studied it.
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #26
Inner Circle

To confound the skeptics even further, research aims for 12.8 million GBytes in a cubic centimeter:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...890#post480890
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51