DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   Apple Widesceen AV video Ipod delayed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/65014-apple-widesceen-av-video-ipod-delayed.html)

Wayne Morellini April 13th, 2006 02:26 PM

Apple Widesceen AV video Ipod delayed

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/13/r...-studio-talks/
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0604videoipod.html

Mike Tesh April 13th, 2006 07:55 PM

I still think this is a shotty idea. I mean talk about greasy fingers all over your nice display. You'd constantly be wiping that thing on your shirt.

Not to mention the lack of textile feel for changing tracks and volume when it's in your pocket.

Although a bigger screen and higher quality video would be cool, I love my 5G.

Aaron Koolen April 13th, 2006 09:20 PM

I agree with Mike in that it seems like a stupid idea to have the control built into the screen, but who knows, maybe they've come up with some "anti sticky finger" coating.

Wayne Morellini April 14th, 2006 01:04 AM

I think that new anti scratch coating they use on archival DVDs (the one resistant to steel wool that can resist all but the most forceful attack) has anti grease properties (among other things).

The design concept looks similar to one of my old multi-touch designs, and there was a old magnetic design that could work through inches of glass with gloves on. So, touching needn't be a problem. The reason that it is a problem, is that manufacturers are using cheap pressure sensitive technology to get the tactile feed back, but they need not use this, they could even use chemical diamond coated glass with the alternative designs.

I have seen, apparently genuine photo's, but even all the mock-ups look similar, because the description was so easy. Do you know, it is around the size of a credit card?

I am excited about the design because it approaches very closely to one of my handheld design concepts, and should be immensely practical. I look forward to gaining programming access to it, the sort of stuff I could do with that from factor is immense. Even the sort of stuff you could do with on screen keyboards. If you look at the Microsoft Origami thumb keyboard, this is an old design concept I previously wanted to use on such a device (except I would use a bigger device then this). The device would make a good PDA, but Apple is probably unaware of it's potential. I hope there is a camera, and a phone version. I have done a lot of handheld concept designs over the years, perfecting perfect controls systems and other handheld technologies far in advanced of what is out there, and finally this is a platform that might be suitable to implement them. I hope they make 5 to 8 inch versions, I have a perfect case design for such a thing, very advanced and just as portable as the 4 inch version.

Mike Tesh April 16th, 2006 06:43 PM

Wayne how likely do you think this is to happen, a widescreen ipod?
And when do you think it will happen?
Just curious.

Wayne Morellini April 16th, 2006 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Tesh
Wayne how likely do you think this is to happen, a widescreen ipod?
And when do you think it will happen?
Just curious.

We now know that it was due to happen April first, but has been delayed due to a couple of problems. So how long is a piece of string? I imagine around he release of the Mac Book, or the release of the next top end Mac book Pro (17inch) maybe during the processor upgrade for Mac Book Pro (64 bit version).

These are not rumours, they are "facts". But the problem is that something is scheduled in, even pre-announced, but something happens to change the timing, or it even gets cancelled. This probably has happened a number of time this year with various products. The Mac Book (Ibook replacement) is coming in June, probably because there was a delay on the introduction of one of the Intel processors it sues.

Likely to happen, the previous video Ipod was a compromise, they always wanted something better like this ;).

I have located two screens that could be the Ipod display, both of size and form factor suitable. I hope that this is goign to have knock out vision, I don't know about resolution though. I am excited, I would love to see what's under the hood ;).

Wayne Morellini April 16th, 2006 11:40 PM

Here is a thread on those "apparently" genuine IPOD AV photo's. The people who posted it are claiming that they faked the photos and present the unfaked originals of a G5 Ipod, to which the others, in denial, are claiming that they are really faking the originals and the IPODAV photos are genuine, until it inevitably sinks in that they have all been well and truly conned. It is one of the most hilarious things I have read lately, note the comment about burning down Disney Land ;)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=185894

The IPODAV photos they talk about are the March the fith ones here:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Gallery_...o_iPod_Mockups

Jeff Morrissette April 20th, 2006 10:01 PM

So is there really a new video ipod in the works or is it all a lie.

Boyd Ostroff April 21st, 2006 08:03 AM

I think it's pretty clear that Apple isn't going to let the iPod wither and die. They will continue to release new models, but they're always very tight lipped about unannounced products. So I'm sure new video iPods are coming, but exactly what and when are anybody's guess.

It's fun to speculate, but not generally very productive. The people who know the answers are bound by non-disclosure agreements and aren't going to tell you. And Apple has made a point of being very aggressive when it comes to prosecuting anyone who leaks proprietary info.

In the last issue of MacWorld there was a letter to the editor complaining that they didn't publish a "first look" article about one of the new machines in time for its release. The editor responded that Apple has become so secretive that they are no longer sending them evaluation copies of new products in advance.

Just relax and wait to see what they have in store. I think there will be a bunch of new products from Apple before this year is over.

Wayne Morellini April 21st, 2006 09:38 AM

Yes, there is intended to be, but the device has been delayed because of technical, market issues.

There has been credible information released, that describe the simple format of the device, and probably explain why so many of the mock-ups look so a like. But it could be nonobvious. But despite all this it still fits the vision, so I am excited.

I just wish that they would out a good video sensor on it (1.3Mp, Ambarella h264 codec 19-25Mb/s) and eventually mobile phone. If they think people are goign to carry a audio Ipod, a camera Ipod, a video Ipod and a mobile phone around in their pockets at the same time, I think they would turn out mistaken.

Thanks

Wayne.

Boyd Ostroff April 21st, 2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
If they think people are goign to carry a audio Ipod, a camera Ipod, a video Ipod and a mobile phone around in their pockets at the same time, I think they would turn out mistaken.

Likewise if they try to make it all things to all people. They haven't done such a bad job of figuring out what people want in the audio player market....

Frank Granovski April 22nd, 2006 05:50 AM

What's so special about the ipod and similar devices?