FX1 Out of Stock at B & H (merged with Z1 thread) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old April 25th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #31
Major Player

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/global...418_683708.htm

I found this interesting.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #32
Major Player

omg if sony puts out a sh**ty fx1 replacement I'll be so upset. I'm saving up for an fx1 and want that. If they take it away and try to force me to get a z1 I'll be screwed, I won't be able to afford to go 3ccd hd.

An fx1 is 5000cad and a z1 is 6800-7000cad. That's not small change to me and I have no way to order from the US. Hell even if I did now I can't, they pulled the friggin camera.

All I can say if they better just be adding 24f to it and then putting it back out, comon sony I need this for something I'm working on at the end of the summer.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:32 AM   #33
Regular Crew

I'm in the same boat. I have the money and wanted to order from B&H but it looks like I'll have to go to Vann's or somewhere else..
George Vick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 05:29 AM   #34
Trustee

There isnt any news from NAB yet?? No new camera?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Just purchased an FX1 at B&H, they confirmed that they have a number of them in transit. I can confirm when they ship me mine

Regards

GMan
Gino Mancusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #36
Major Player

B&H website shows FX1 in stock now.

Sheesh.... so this is how wild rumours get started!
Brian Standing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Seems that the price is now up to $3049.99 from $2999.99
George Vick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Camera Arrived
Gino Mancusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Vick
Seems that the price is now up to $3049.99 from $2999.99
Price now up to $3,099 !!
so in last 2 weeks, the price for FX1 at B&H has gone from 2,999 to 3,049 to 3,099...
interesting!
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #40
New Boot

I ended up purchasing my FX1 from Amazon.com (B&H didn't have any available at the time) about 3 weeks ago. I had it in my shopping cart for a month before that, and the price had fluctuated from $2,999 to $3,045, then to $3,025, and then suddenly back to $2,999, all within a few weeks. I ended up making a late night purchase as soon as I saw it creep back down to $2,999, because I figured it would go back up if I didn't. My camera was actually shipped by Amazon, though. The current FX1 offering on Amazon.com appears to be from a 3rd party vendor (J&R Music), and it is also $3,099. Very interesting. Hopefully that means my FX1 will retain its value.
Chad Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #41
Wrangler

Well judging from the reaction to the rumor that the FX1 was discontinued, I'd say there are lots of people that still want them.

Now would also be a good time to remind everyone that discussions of non-sponsor vendors are not allowed at DVinfo. Please support our sponsors; they make this site possible: http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #42
Regular Crew

I think the FX1 is NOT discontinued

I bought my FX1 from B&H about a month ago shortly before they went out of stock. I've been looking at this cam for at least a year so I've been investigating every rumour I read (as much as I can on the web).

Things started getting weird one day when I visisted my local Apple store to find their demo FX1 mysteriously disappeared. (The one I'd been fondling for months!) Soon after that first shock came the Apple.com FX1 "sale", then B&H ran out, then the rumours out of Nab, then B&H got more, etc.

Anyway, I have figured out that the FX1 is hugely popular and it makes absolutely no sense that Sony would suddenly stop selling it now. Yes, Sony's made some really stupid mistakes recently, but to stop selling a product this hot is just really hard for me to believe.

The HC1 was a different story; it was too much $ for consumers and not quite good enough for most prosumers. I bought one myself, though. I'm a "lower-end" pro. I'm a "low-pro"! :-)
Stephen Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #43
Trustee

I just picked up a FX1 at B&H days ago- they're in stock at $3099. May 2006
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #44
Regular Crew

I am expecting a visit from the manager of the sales department for Sony sometime next week. (Not for global sales, but for Kyushu - Sony have their 2 most modern factories here)

I will ask him what he knows about the FX1.

The Japanese are a little strange compared to westerners when they have interesting information. They don't run around telling everyone about it.....but if given a direct question they will give a straight answer.
I once asked the manager if the Sony Bravia was a completely Sony product made here in Kumamoto. He said, "No, we have many Samsung parts in it....we have a good dialogue with Samsung".

I aslo was told that when Sony make a professional model of a product they calculate a production line for at least 4 years. Granted the FZ1 is maybe more pro-sumer.....and maybe it is getting to the end of the 4 years now...
I'll see what I can find out next week,,,,and post the reply here.
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:34 AM   #45
Wrangler

Personally I don't put much stock in rumors like this. For example, see the following report from March 2005 that the VX-2100 was discontinued, and it comes from someone who usually knows what he's talking about ;-)

But the VX-2100 is still selling in May 2006...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=41279
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51