Apple and Sony paint the town!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old June 27th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Apple and Sony paint the town!!!

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/06...sony/index.php

Leaving Canon and JVC users at home crying over their big bowl of ice cream watching reality t.v.

Since this is area 51, I will ask this question; How much courting has Sony done to get Apple to "divorce" if you will, their JVC and Canon users who have been waiting patiently for a "promised" update.

Sony has Vegas... why are they taking my precious Apple away!?!

"Bitter, party of one!"

That's me... gotta go!!!
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #2
Wrangler

I don't see anything in that story which would make me think Apple is "divorcing" JVC and Canon users. The Apple/Sony connection isn't exactly a newsflash. Remember MacWorld 2005 when Steve Jobs brought Sony President Kunitake Ando out onto the stage? http://www.lafcpug.org/feature_macworld_05.html
Quote:
Steve Jobs demos the Sony HDR-FX1 by shooting Sony's CEO with it. This camera was everywhere in and around Apple's big tent on the show floor.
If Apple has promised JVC/Canon support then I'm sure they will deliver it eventually. But like everything else, I imagine it's a marketing as much as a tech decision. There are a lot more HC1's, HC3's, A1's, FX1's and Z1's out there than there are HD100's or XLH1's, and they all use the same existing form of HDV which FCP already supports....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

One small caveat, 24p and 24f are brand new and Apple is likely working on these new additions. I can capture and edit 30f with no problems in FCP 5.0.4.

heath
Old June 27th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #4
Outer Circle

Quote:
Since this is area 51, I will ask this question; How much courting has Sony done to get Apple to "divorce" if you will, their JVC and Canon users who have been waiting patiently for a "promised" update.
I assume it's a finacial arrangement. Now Sony's newest BETA has an ally.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #5
Major Player

It's a pretty awkward arrangement considering the Apple store doesn't sell any Sony video cameras anymore.
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

Canon XL H1:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TH102LL%2FA

Sanyo HD1:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TH366LL%2FA

Interesting, no FX1.

heath
Old June 28th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Mason
It's a pretty awkward arrangement considering the Apple store doesn't sell any Sony video cameras anymore.
It's also awkward as Apple is directly competing with Sony (and cleaning Sony's clock, I might add) in some market segments: iPod vs. Walkman; Final Cut vs. Vegas; Pixar vs. Sony Pictures; Macs vs. VAIOs.
Brian Standing is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51