The Shiner Thread - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old July 13th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #16
Outer Circle

When I picked up a few cans of FAXE Strong this evening, at the Canadian Government Alcoholics Store, I got to try some Mexican beer. It was really good---smooth. But they didn't sell any tall cans so I passed.

Re: "Mooseheads, Molson Golden, Molson Canadian and Labatt's Blue" Oh come on. None of those beers are good plus they are owned by Americans.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #17
Wrangler

Well I know that Molsons was bought by Coors a few years ago, but I've been drinking them for almost 30 years. I started with all those brands when I moved to a little town in upstate New York (right across Lake Ontario from Ottawa) in 1979. I think all those brands were Canadian then, eh? Had never seen them anywhere until I moved up there. Back then we couldn't get cable (and probably still couldn't in that area), so the Ottawa TV stations were a mainstay - I think I was brainwashed by all the beer ads :-)

What Canadian brands do you like? I suspect their availability may be limited here in the States.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #18
Outer Circle

Coors owns Mooseheads as well. The only Canadian breweries left are the small mom & pops like Granville Island, etc. About 90% of Canadian breweries are now not Canadian owned. Granville Island Breweries makes very good beer.
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #19
Outer Circle

I should add that I don't like any of the beer made by those large, once Canadian owned companies. Most of their beer have preservatives and other chemicals and the few that are pure (Molson's Pilsner for example), taste like sh**. That Mexican beer sure is nice but it is quite expensive, and I'm not sure about the water.
Old July 15th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #20
Major Player

my fave ATM is "Okocim" a 5.5 percenter from Poland

http://www.okocim.pl/img/okocim.jpg

great Neck Oil :)

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #21
Major Player

When in college I had a friend from North Dakota who use to bring Molson XXX back from Canada, anyone know if this beer still exists. It didnt take many of these XXX to get you seeing XXX.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #22
Outer Circle

Yeah, Molsons is owned by Coors.
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Shiner Bock (and all other Shiner beers produced by the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, Texas) is privately owned by The Gambrinus Company in San Antonio, Texas.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #24
Wrangler

This is interesting: http://www.shiner.com/about/faq.html

Quote:
There’s no Shiner Beer out here in Maine, but there’s Corona and Moosehead, which are beers from Gambrinus. What’s the deal? Where’s the Shiner?
Since 1989, the Spoetzl Brewery has been privately owned by The Gambrinus Company of San Antonio, Texas. Gambrinus imports Corona beer (and other Modelo brands from Mexico) to the eastern half of the U.S. and imports Moosehead Beer (from Canada) nationwide. Gambrinus also owns the BridgePort Brewing Co. in Portland, Oregon.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #25
Outer Circle

After reading the Shiner F&Q, I really wanted to try one.
Old August 13th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #26

Shiner doesn't like me anymore. i have managed to acquire a crisper with at least a 12 pack of shiner sitting in it.

Lately, i've been enamored with Real Ale's Rio Blanco Pale Ale. To buy Real Ale though, i have to make a special trip to Whole Foods or Central Market.

http://www.realalebrewing.com/

For guest beer this weekend, i picked up a 12 pack of Lone Star. We'll see how long it takes to drink if the friends won't touch it.
Terry Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I am proud to say I have created at least 20 new Shiner Bock customers.
It's just gotten darned expensive here in Northern VA. When I went back to AR to visit family it was a dollar a six pack cheaper.
Old August 15th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Nixon View Post
For guest beer this weekend, i picked up a 12 pack of Lone Star. We'll see how long it takes to drink if the friends won't touch it.
Hey now, Lone/Rice Star still has its place-- crossing TX on a bike in summer there's often nothing better avail in the gas station cooler. After 12 hours in the saddle heat, a brace of LS tallboys in the muggy camp night is just about tops.

But alas, Shiner (Bock) still rules in this gullet. First encountered the stuff in 1996 in Presidio-- we bought a 12 pack of Bock CANS and eventually found our way to Terlingua with a few of them left. We asked around for Paris, Texas shooting locations and bagged some pix of us drinking Bock from cans at the American Legion post there (Tell me somezink: did your brozer get himself in a car wreck?) Good times. Have never seen a Shiner in a can since then.

Prices: amazingly, the cheapest i've ever found Bock was in Sac-area California-- $5.99 religiously for sixes, $2 for 22 ouncers. That's cheaper than i've ever found it in TX, note.

Good on Chris for bagging the Shiner sponsorship ('Time Code Break' heh)

(as sips a Yuengling Black and Tan, sigh)
Michael Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #29
Inner Circle

I like Yuengling BandT myself. Good stuff.
If you're hard core, their porter is good too.
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #30
Wrangler

My folks and brother took a side trip just for me while in San Marcos and San Antonio last week and visited the brewery in Shiner. They were so impressed—Mom said they give four good-sized samples of beer rather than the dinky ones the big breweries hand out. I think those samples may be what prompted her to purchase these and sneak them onto my Christmas tree while I was gone…

Thanks so much, Chris and Jeff, for all the help. I believe they visited every single place you mentioned, plus some other stops that made it a great trip for them!
Attached Thumbnails
The Shiner Thread-ornaments.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51