ATOMOS Subforum? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old November 7th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: ATOMOS Subforum?

The details on the Samurai at the atomos site seem to mention a SDI to mini SDI cable is included. I am guessing that the unit itself has a mini SDI connector.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #32
Major Player

'The plot thickens'. I am told now, the 'Samurais' are currently 'held up' in 'Customs', but they are here in the U.S. All things being 'equal' (rarely, if ever, the case), 'Samurais' should be at our favorite vendors NLT the end of next week.

If anyone hears differently please let us know.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #33
Trustee

James....where are you getting all this information? I am not doubting you, but when I call my vendor they aren't aware of any of this. They are saying that once the units arrive in the US, they will need to be flashed at a service center with the latest firmware/OS that Atomos provides before they get delivered to the actual vendors. Hence, I am hearing that they will not be available until the last week of November to first week of December. I hope your information is right as sooner would be better.....
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #34
Major Player

Marty...the 'delivery' info came directly from 'Jeromy Young, CEO Atomos'(see above). The 'updated Customs' information came from B&H.

The 'delivery' information, since it came from the 'Atomos' directly, as far as I'm concerned I'm concerned is 'Gospel'. The updated 'Customs' info is 'water cooler' rumor. Although, I got a call from my 'vendor' that sort of confirmed the 'Customs' story. I have also been told, Jeromy Young is in the U.S. overseeing the 'Customs' process.

JMHO, YMMV.

J.

P.S. My 'vendor' is also 'in the dark' about the delivery. He has complained to the 'Distributor' who, I'm told, 'will get an ear full'.

Last edited by James Kuhn; November 8th, 2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: PS
Old November 8th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #35
Trustee

James,
Let me know if you hear anything regarding the whole "firmware update" I told you about. It could be true that the units shipped with the intention that the final firmware would get flashed on them when they arrive, thus giving more time for the Atomos programmers to tweak the settings.

Also, I was aware that the bulk of your information came from that Atomos email....I was just wondering about the customs thing as my vendor hasn't heard that one either. I just want to get one in my grubby little hands as I am hoping to utilize the larger LCD in addition to the recording features.

Thanks.
Old November 8th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #36
Major Player

Marty...I'll keep my 'ear to the ground', but I think the 'unofficial' info will 'dry-up'. The 'Distributors' will be hearing from their 'Retailer chain' and the complaints will be legitimate. People like me are getting 'information' directly from Atomos, while the 'Distributor' and the 'Retailers' have been kept in the dark. As a 'consumer', I like the CEO of a company giving inside information, but keeping your 'Distributors and Retailers' out of the 'loop' isn't good.

'Bottom line', none of this is worth 'a Tinker's damn', until we get hardware in our hands.

JMHO, YMMV.

J.
Old November 8th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #37
Major Player

I just received my Samurai this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
ATOMOS Subforum?-samurai.jpg   ATOMOS Subforum?-samurai1.jpg  

Old November 8th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #38
Obstreperous Rex

Excellent, Peter! Looks like we'll be doing the sub-forum after all.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #39
Major Player

Sounds good Chris. thanks.
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #40
New Boot

I don't see any SDI cable or adaptor for the microBNC mount in the box. Is that so ?
Matthieu Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #41
Trustee

This is an excellent sign! I am anxiously waiting news on this here in the US.
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #42
Major Player

Hi Peter,

Did you get the BNC adapter cables in the kit? Supposed to be included. For those wondering, included cables are stowed beneath devices, not showing in photo. With Ninja, FW 800 and USB 3.0 are cables included, and Samurai supposedly also has the BNC to mini BNC adapters. Still waiting on our first shipment in US to verify.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Update on UK distribution from my vendor (Creative Video) this morning. There is a quality issue with small numbers of one of the cables included and so, whilst the units are in the UK, they have halted distribution until next week (ETA 16th Nov) whilst the problematic cables are replaced...
Dominic Witherow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #44
Trustee

Jeff,

Are you expecting that it will include BNC to mini BNC cables, or just an adapter to take an existing BNC cable down to a mini BNC connection? I just need to be prepared.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pulera View Post
Hi Peter,

Did you get the BNC adapter cables in the kit? Supposed to be included. For those wondering, included cables are stowed beneath devices, not showing in photo. With Ninja, FW 800 and USB 3.0 are cables included, and Samurai supposedly also has the BNC to mini BNC adapters. Still waiting on our first shipment in US to verify.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Last edited by Marty Hudzik; November 9th, 2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #45
Major Player

Dominic...I 'presume' the 'ripple effect' will cause a delay in the U.S. distribution, also? Or does this only apply to the U.K.?

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun