ATOMOS Subforum? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old November 9th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #46
Major Player

Re: ATOMOS Subforum?

All the cables are stored under the items in the case.

You can see one of the mini SDI cables coming out of the Samurai on the second photo. The full-size SDI connector is a receiver plug, so you don't need a barrel connector to link it with a standard full-size BNC cable.
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
The details on the Samurai at the atomos site seem to mention a SDI to mini SDI cable is included. I am guessing that the unit itself has a mini SDI connector.
You get two mini-SDI to mini-SDI cables in the case.
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #48
Trustee

Peter,
So I can be 100% certain about the included cables, can you clairfy something? There are 2 cables (very short) and these are mini BNC on both ends? I obviously have a full sized BNC connector on my camera and I need to know exactly what I will need when my Samurai arrives. I have no SDI or BNC cables currently, so I am trying to make sure I have what I need, no surprises.

I looked at your photo closely and the cable seems pretty short so I am guessing that I will need a coupler along with another standard bnc cable perhaps?

I wish the PDF file on the Samurai stated or showed the exact cables so that I would not have to bug you!

Thanks for any insight you have.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #49
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Corbett View Post
You get two mini-SDI to mini-SDI cables in the case.
This is the part that is confusing me. Why they include mini-sdi to mini-sdi when I am unaware of any cameras that have mini-sdi ports on them to start with.....or I lead a very sheltered life! As my previous post was asking, I just want to clarify this because it seems odd is this is accurate.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #50
Major Player

For those of you concerned about the cables in the Samurai box, here they are. The Samurai has mini-BNC connectors.

2 x mini-SDI to SDI
1 x Firewire 800
1 x USB
1 x USB Power to use with USB blue cable (if required)
Attached Thumbnails
ATOMOS Subforum?-samcab1.jpg   ATOMOS Subforum?-samcab2.jpg  

Old November 9th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
Peter,
So I can be 100% certain about the included cables, can you clairfy something? There are 2 cables (very short) and these are mini BNC on both ends? I obviously have a full sized BNC connector on my camera and I need to know exactly what I will need when my Samurai arrives. I have no SDI or BNC cables currently, so I am trying to make sure I have what I need, no surprises.

I looked at your photo closely and the cable seems pretty short so I am guessing that I will need a coupler along with another standard bnc cable perhaps?

I wish the PDF file on the Samurai stated or showed the exact cables so that I would not have to bug you!

Thanks for any insight you have.
Just connect a standard SDI cable (with standard BNC connectors) into the full-size end of the supplied mini-BNC to BNC cable. You don't need to to buy any special cables, just a standard shortish BNC-to-BNC SDI cable. Any Tandy, or Radioshack-style shop will sell them.
Old November 10th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Sorry, no idea for sure James. However, I suspect that if there's a problem with a component in one location that is probably going to be the same in other locations and thus affect worldwide distribution. D
Dominic Witherow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Corbett View Post
I just received my Samurai this morning.
Peter,
Any initial impressions? How's the screen resolution? Does it just record what the camera is putting out or can you convert by changing the record settings in the Samurai? Thanks!
Old November 10th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #54
Major Player

I haven't been able to test much becasue I'm flat out on edits. It appears to just record the output resolution/frame rate of the camera as received from the SDI. The screen rez and colour is okay, but becasue it is touch-screen technology it doesn't come close to the sharpness of my TV Logic 056. But I wasn't expecting it to. One worrying point is the mount spigot appears to be M6 metric and not imperial 1/4", so I haven't been able to mount it to anything I own.
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Screw thread size sounds odd! How did you get it onto the F3 in your photo? I can't imagine they changed it from the Ninja, as the basic bodies are identical. Maybe that's part of the delay? D
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #56
Regular Crew

that is a bizarre thread size. you may need something like this: http://www.noga.com/nogaProducts.php?prdID=AD6010 also is there a way to power it via a d tap or do you have to use the batteries? how long do the batteries power the unit for?
Old November 13th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #57
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Witherow View Post
Screw thread size sounds odd! How did you get it onto the F3 in your photo? I can't imagine they changed it from the Ninja, as the basic bodies are identical. Maybe that's part of the delay? D
I could just screw it in a little to take the photo, but it wasn't stable enough to shoot with. I hope to hear from Atomos this week about it.
Old November 14th, 2011, 05:32 AM   #58
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed David View Post
that is a bizarre thread size. you may need something like this: AD6010 - 1/4" X M6 Adaptor By NOGA also is there a way to power it via a d tap or do you have to use the batteries? how long do the batteries power the unit for?
It comes with a D-tap adaptor which works alongside the batteries or one of the converters (it slots into one of the battery ports). D
Old November 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #59
Major Player

Hey Peter...you can get a 'prize' from TapeWorks Texas, Inc., a 'supporter' of DVinfo, if you show them you've actually received an Atomos 'Samurai'. I think it's kind of a 'bounty'. Heh, heh!

Give it a shot and get back with the group.

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #60
Major Player

I'll send them an email. Cheers!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun