ATOMOS Subforum? - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old November 29th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #106
Major Player

Re: ATOMOS Subforum?

No it's a mini-BNC connector
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #107
Trustee

And when you say Atomos supplied mini-BNC to 1/4" BNC connector, the 1/4" BNC is what we would think of as a traditional BNC, yes?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #108
Major Player

Yep, standard BNC. But the full size BNC end on the Atomos cable is a female (I think). It plugs into a standard BNC cable.
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #109
Trustee

Is mini-BNC the thing that connects to the Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle?

Incidentally, if the Atomos works out okay... I'll have one BM HyperDeck Shuttle for sale. What a POS.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #110
Regular Crew

i'm interested in the shuttle.
Specially that i think it will get a firmware update soon with DnxHD like it's bigger brother.
Tony Partamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #111
Trustee

Well, I am certainly excited to hear that it is getting out there....but since I am using an XLh1, I am concerned about the analog audio recording issues mentioned earlier. That is critical to my workflow. Now I am getting worried. :(
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:03 AM   #112
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Partamian View Post
i'm interested in the shuttle.
Specially that i think it will get a firmware update soon with DnxHD like it's bigger brother.
I didn't think this unit (the shuttle he is referring to) was capable of converting video to any other format. I thought it just wrote the data to disk, exactly how it comes out of the SDI Spigot. Is it even possible that it could do this with a firmware update?
Old December 1st, 2011, 01:28 PM   #113
Major Player

The new V2.6 firmware for the samurai is available here;
The Samurai - Firmware

Issues Addressed in this firmware update:

Added red letter box border in the monitor when recording (black when not).
Fixed 'stale' video in the black letter box border in the monitor when switching video modes.
Audio fix: certain cameras could detect the wrong number of channels of audio present.

I really think we need an Atomos forum in the Tapeless section now.
Old December 1st, 2011, 02:01 PM   #114
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
Is mini-BNC the thing that connects to the Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle?

Incidentally, if the Atomos works out okay... I'll have one BM HyperDeck Shuttle for sale. What a POS.
Why do you say that Mark?
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 10:36 PM   #115
Major Player

The 'Samurai' User Manual V. 1.0 is available on the website (see below).

Atomos
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:41 AM   #116
Major Player

OK...so I'm about to push the button on the Samurai...especially with 100.00 off offer before Dec. 7th

3 big questions I can't get answer to....and their website is HORRIBLE ! (am I the only one thinking that ?)

1. Does the separate audio input work ? I'm coming from a first-gen XLH1 and have to use RCA outputs to (mini connector on the Samurai) to get audio in. My audio doesn't stream down the HDSDI.

2. You have to pay for the Avid DNxHD upgrade? An how does that work....and what resolutions of DNxHD does it record ? DNxHD 220 ?

3. Lastly..I thought I read this....it can record 23.976 fps from the Canon...but then do a reverse telecine and add the junk frames for my transfer into the Avid ? Which means I could shoot 23.976, and then import the footage into avid as a 60i DnxHD 220 clip ?

Thanks...if anyone has these answers. I know this product is new....and it certainly looked great at NAB.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 02:30 PM   #117
Major Player

Kevin...you're right about the website, it sucks. To partially answer your question about "You have to pay for the Avid DNxHD upgrade?", the answer is yes. The website says, "Avid DNxHD® codec will be available late 2011, priced at €99, 89GBP or $149 USD for any Samurai user.". I also 'read' somewhere on the website (of course can't find it now) that the 'Avid DNxHD' will be available after January 1, 2012. Given Atomos' track record, I would bet that the release will be later, rather then sooner.

JMHO, YMMV.

J.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 11:55 PM   #118
Trustee

Got mine here. Initially was having some issues. The Samurai was just going all "garbly" when I turned the SDI out of my camera on.Whe I toggle it off, the Samura kicked back to the main touch screen. I was stressing big time at that point. Eventually, after flashing the firmware and still not working, I dug through my bag of stuff and found a different BNC cable and I paired it with the 2nd mini-sdi adapter from Atomos and it worked! I have toyed with it for about an hour. I will post more tomorrow as I get some results and maybe I will test the other cable again to confirm that was the issue...either my BNC or the mini-BNC atomos shipped.

I can tell you this..

Canon XL-h1 (original) HD-SDI out
Control-L out to Samurai
Audio Line out to Samurai input

All is working without a hitch...which is a relief at this point.

I shot about 5-6 minutes in my basement with well below average lighting. I was at 6db. The resulting footage, while not being compressed, looking very grainy. I was a bit shocked as it seems more prominent than the HDV footage I am used to. I reshot thie footage at -3db abd while it is dark, it is much less noisy.

Still, there is a quality to these initial videos that concerns me a bit. I am hoping that in my haste I missed the focus a little or something because edges just dont look as sharp as I was expecting. And this is with the awesome 6x wide angle lens that has broadcast optics. I need to test more before I comment additionaly, but I am concerned a little that the image wasn't nearly as pristine as I was expecting. I hope it was focusing error on my part at the end of a long day.

THanks,
Marty
Old December 3rd, 2011, 12:51 AM   #119
Major Player

Marty...I haven't done any recording with mine, yet. I did mount it on my HXR-NX5U and discovered I made an error in my choice of tripods, it's a great tripod, it just doesn't have enough capacity. My purchase was based on published manufacturer specs, but after getting everything configured, camera, batteries, Samurai, ball head, and cables it tips the scales at 8 lb 3oz. However, the 'issue' isn't the 'weight' per se, it's the C of G, which is three times the 55mm 'baseline' manufacturer's spec, placing it at the ragged edge of the max capacity. Oops!

I used the Samurai as a monitor only and was pleased with the quality of the image. So far, no issues. The updated firmware v.2.6, loaded with no hitches. I'm using a Western Digital 360GB 'Scorpio Black' 7200RPM HDD, P/N WDGWD3200BEKT. This is not so much a criticism as it is an observation. When formatting the HDD the 'Samurai' doesn't give you any feedback that you have 'formatted' the HDD correctly. I just assumed I was successful, and proceeded with the 'firmware' download. So far, so good. I'm also using a Manfrotto 492LCD Micro Ball Head w/ hot/cold shoe mount. It's pricey, but very sturdy. BTW, I've left the plastic protective cover on the touch screen, and have found the touch screen still very sensitive. I know it won't last for long, but every day the plastic stays on, is one more day the actual touch screen will last. I hope anyway.

I know this information is very 'mundane', but maybe someone will find it useful.

Regards,

J.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 01:12 AM   #120
Major Player

I thing I discovered today on a shoot (luckily not too critical a shoot). If you are recording ANY format other than 1080, you must connect the Samurai to the F3's standard SDI MON out, and not the dual link HD-SDI A output. I was recording 720 50P on the F3 but the Samurai was recording 1080 50i.

An interesting titbit is that you can simultaneously record 720 internally on SxS and 1080 externally. It is probably of dubious value because of the external default to 50i. So for general piece of mind, use the SDI OUT connector.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun