DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/atomos-ninja-samurai-shogun/)
-   -   Samurai with a OCZ SSD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/atomos-ninja-samurai-shogun/503539-samurai-ocz-ssd.html)

Marty Hudzik December 13th, 2011 01:56 PM

Samurai with a OCZ SSD

I just got a 120GB SSD that I have installed in my Samurai, and initially it is working fine. I shot 8-9 clips in ProRes HQ, played them back on the Samurai and it seems to be okay. I was searching a few videos on youtube from NAM and Atomos was demoing this early version and someone mentioned that it is only compatible with Intel SSDs. Is this true? What should I be looking out for? Because it seems fine but I am planning on shooting some "important footage" tomorrow and don;t want any surprises.

Bob Willis December 13th, 2011 04:24 PM

Re: Samurai with a OCZ SSD

There is a list of drives on this page that they have tested.

The Samurai - HDMI ProRes HD/SD-SDI Recorder

Marty Hudzik December 13th, 2011 08:50 PM

Thanks Bob. I had already seen that page and they list only the intel x25 SSDs. I realize that is all they have tested with but unfortunately that is not a model that I had access to. I am using the OCZ SSD and so far so good. I have only shot about 10 minutes but it is behaving properly.

I was hoping someone else is using a "non-intel" SSD that might be able to comment.

James Kuhn December 14th, 2011 09:19 AM

Marty...I don't know this empirically, but I think the 'Samurai' will work with a wide variety of SSDs & HDDs, Atomos probably doesn't have the wherewithal to test every model in the market. The 'technology' is somewhat standard to be able to successfully operate in numerous platforms, e.g., laptops, notebooks, etc. The HDDs I have aren't the 'exact' model number listed on the Atomos website, but they are from a recognized OEM (Western-Digital) and are in the same 'model' class (Scorpio Black) as the recommended HDDs. I think the 'bottom-line' is, if it works, it works. With that said, OCZ 'Drives' unfortunately don't have a great reputation in general.

JMHO, YMMV.

J.

Bob Willis December 14th, 2011 12:05 PM

So, how did it go Marty?
The shoot turn out alright?

Marty Hudzik December 14th, 2011 01:34 PM

The shoot went great, with regards to the technical side. The Samura worked great at capturing. I didn't even use the tape as a backup, I just rolled the Samurai using the touch screen.

I will say this. The screen on the Samurai is almost worthless for anything other than verifying framing and that you are recording. In a pretty dark room, with lights only on the talent, the Samurai looked very dark. When I connected a 24" tv to to the component out of the H1, the image is much, much brighter and more in-line with the EVF. I used the TV to monitor all recording and focusing and only referenced the Samurai to start/stop recording. So.....unless some firmware updates come and tweak the display settings, this thing is an awesome recorder, and a subpar monitor for 90% of applications.

James Kuhn December 14th, 2011 05:23 PM

Marty...great to hear!

J.

Nate Weaver December 15th, 2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik (Post 1703569)
So.....unless some firmware updates come and tweak the display settings, this thing is an awesome recorder, and a subpar monitor for 90% of applications.

The resistive touchscreen on the front is going to always make this a terrible monitor for exposure or color judging.

Considering the on camera LCD isn't much better, I've just learned to know what a given histogram reading is going to look on the good reference monitor, and away I go. In other words, learn the camera, don't rely on small cheap monitors. There's very, very few of them good enough to look anything like the final image.

Marty Hudzik December 15th, 2011 02:46 PM

Well my camera (XLh1) happens to have probably thee worst LCD/EVF of any HD camera ever....with no histograms or focus/exposure assists other than peaking/zebra patterns. It is very small and laggy too. So, I am disappointed that it is not a step up from this monitor but I am happy that the unit functions as a recorder.

Incidentally I have had this camera for 51/2 years so I am very familiar with the EVF, but that doesn't mean I wasn't looking forward to something better. The sad thing is that the image on the screen is pretty decent but it looks 2-3 stops lower than the actual footage. That is my main concern....and it's not a brightness setting as the menu buttons and overlays are bright and crisp.

Maybe mine is defective?

Peter Corbett December 15th, 2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Weaver (Post 1703819)
The resistive touchscreen on the front is going to always make this a terrible monitor for exposure or color judging.

Considering the on camera LCD isn't much better, I've just learned to know what a given histogram reading is going to look on the good reference monitor, and away I go. In other words, learn the camera, don't rely on small cheap monitors. There's very, very few of them good enough to look anything like the final image.

I don't use the samurai for colour checking or focus. I either use the LCD or a TV-Logic 5.6 on top.

Ed David December 21st, 2011 08:52 AM

i'm using the Samsung 470 series 128gb SSD with my new Samurai. shot 720p60 all day - at Pro Res 422 - no hiccups.

Marty Hudzik December 22nd, 2011 03:47 PM

I sent back my OCZ SSD and got an Intel 320 series. In all fairness the OCZ never presented any problems, but the Intel went on sale for just $10 over the OCZ and I could not pass that up. If not just for the peace of mind that the Intel SSDs have a more proven track record. I have shot 3-4 hours of footage and it's working like a champ. Initially the difference in price from the OCZ to the Intel was $70-80....so it was a decent savings....but when it went on sale I couldn't justify not going with the Intel.