Experiences with Ninja and 5d mkII at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old March 25th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Experiences with Ninja and 5d mkII

Been working with my 5d running AJ 5.9 for a clean hdmi out. Then into the Ninja. I'm finding I'm getting black bands and various cropping issues. Is this common?

Top left is the native Canon recording to the CF
Top right is the native canon HDMI out to the Ninja. black bands on the left, canons crop overlay on the top and bottom.
The bottom left pic? AJ and Canon and ninja seamed to have gotten confused. Shut down reboot seamed to get it back to normal size
Bottom right pic, test footage shot, big crop bands on left and right.

If anyone has had success with the 5D / Ninja combination I'd like to hear about it. I was hoping to use the full frame and not have to crop down of zoom in.

jh
Attached Thumbnails
Experiences with Ninja and 5d mkII-5d-recorded-interanly.jpg   Experiences with Ninja and 5d mkII-canon-no-aj.mov.still001.jpg  

Experiences with Ninja and 5d mkII-canon-aj-into-ninja.jpg   Experiences with Ninja and 5d mkII-canon-aj-ninja.jpg  

John Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #2
Major Player

re: Experiences with Ninja and 5d mkII

I was under the impression that all DSLRs up to now had HDMI out that was in one way or another purposely compromised (so as not to infringe on higher priced video camera markets).

I tried getting a clean signal out of a couple of Canon DSLRs with a Nanoflash some time back and gave up on it. At the time I had done a lot of internet searches on the topic and they all had similar results to what you are getting. Blowing up the cropped image produced results that were of lesser quality to the onboard codec I believe.

The new Nikon D800 is meant to be the first DSLR with a workable HDMI out (Nikon being in the unique position that it does not have a video camera division to protect).
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Experiences with Ninja and 5d mkII

I have not hooked up an HDMI monitor yet, but I would expect a 1080 monitors frame to be filled without black bands? I'm going to bring the 5d home tonight and hook it up to my TV to see what it looks like.
John Harvey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun